Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

wombatK

Re: Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

Postby wombatK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:19 am

JLT wrote: There is also another one on the Silverwater bridge, northern side on the west side. He snaps a couple of times, but nothing more than 50 metres.
Haven't seen this one while riding under the bridge on the northern side and over the eastern side of the bridge. So that might
be a less troublesome route (even if you've got to double-back under the bridge on the southern side).

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

bvella

Postby bvella » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:16 pm

There are now two magpies near Rouse Hill Town Centre. One at the top of the hill and one waiting near the Mean Fiddler. Tried to go through the Town Centre to go around them, but then got chased by a third one. Bloody hell!

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:53 pm

My 3 yo grandson was bombed twice by one bird at Mt Annan botanic garden yesterday, next to the causeway. He was pretty spooked but fortunately not hurt. The bird didn't attack him when he was with us; nor did it attack any of the adults in our group.

Look out for your kids folks. They'd struggle to fend off a bird that meant them harm.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

ab012

Postby ab012 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:02 pm

not a magpie, but there is another swooping bird just at the entrance (going east) to the pedestrian tunnel next to concord west station... tends to do a close shave dive from behind (kind of like the type angry motorists like to make actually lol...)

JLT

Postby JLT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:27 pm

NPWS are going to pay a little visit to Mr Rhodes tomorrow.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 pm

JLT wrote:NPWS are going to pay a little visit to Mr Rhodes tomorrow.
A couple of years ago, there was a pretty aggro magpie patrolling territory along
Rothesay Ave - just east of the Meadowbank Ferry terminal. This was on the
Spring Cycle route for that year, and a warning to the organisers brought really swift action.
The magpie was gone a few days later.

This one will also be on the Spring Cycle route too, and relocating it before then would be
a real good idea. Lets hope this happens and that it or it's offspring don't find their
way back to the area.

Regards
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:37 am

ab012 wrote:not a magpie, but there is another swooping bird just at the entrance (going east) to the pedestrian tunnel next to concord west station... tends to do a close shave dive from behind (kind of like the type angry motorists like to make actually lol...)
Was it one of these guys. have been swooped by a few wattle birds http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattlebird" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:23 am

Excelsior Ave this morning at sunrise. A swooper fortunately on a downhill stretch. Made me sprint up the other side though :-)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:47 pm

PML at you blokes. You'd never be able to put a ferret down your trousers, would you?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

aldous112

Postby aldous112 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:27 am

Boognoss wrote:Is the Ryrie St, North Ryde maggie out yet? I haven't spotted any posts in this thread about it but having seen that there are many in Sydney already swooping I've avoided the area completely since there are plenty of alternatives to get past.
I've got hit by this magpie at Ryrie St, North Ryde and was swooped twice around 3 weeks ago. I've avoided that area for now.

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 am

my 12 year old carries a small cap gun when he goes skateboarding. If he knows theres one in the area, the gun is drawn and the noise scares them off. Why didnt I think of that !

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:21 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:PML at you blokes. You'd never be able to put a ferret down your trousers, would you?
Ferret in pants no problem, homicidal Satan-bird. No thanks ;-)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:30 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:PML at you blokes. You'd never be able to put a ferret down your trousers, would you?
Isn't that an offence?

FrednGinger

Postby FrednGinger » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Just wondering, is there any colour of clothing or helmets that magpies are more likely to swoop?

scotto

Postby scotto » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:34 am

FrednGinger wrote:Just wondering, is there any colour of clothing or helmets that magpies are more likely to swoop?
no
nothing you do will work. there is a youtube clip by some uni ( or csiro) boffins doing ad hoc research which showed no helmet worked over any helmet +/- modifications. Having said that, all birds may be different.

geoff87

Postby geoff87 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Last week...I got swooped at by one on Fairlight street in Fivedock.

This one is dangerous! I saw it attack another cyclist constantly...it sits on the helmet and just pecks away

msconfig

Postby msconfig » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Can anyone confirm the M7 magpie is still hanging around? I dread going through that section.....

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:53 pm

msconfig wrote:Can anyone confirm the M7 magpie is still hanging around? I dread going through that section.....
still there as of last sunday morning. Just ride through with a group (wait or speed up to catch a group ff you have to), it seems to leave groups of 3 or more alone.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:17 pm

TimW wrote:
Isn't that an offence?
No. Ferrets are legal. It is eels you are thinking of.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:15 pm

I have just returned from five days away at Denmark in the south west of WA.

I only found one spot that maggies would be onto me. Which is probably not too bad. And I have no trouble as I just wave my arms around my head until I am well clear.

However, wild ducks! They are something else. I walked too close to an adult duck and it's young and she/he flew up at the face. I didn't react overly and it stopped short of actually getting to my face. But it was ceratinly within not more than a meter. I suspect that if I was to call it's bluff and followed it's young that were then moving away then it would have been a little more serious in it's intent.

So, add ducks to the list.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:27 am

I was swooped for the first time this spring on Saturday.

I was riding down the Princes Hwy in Unanderra when it had a go at me. Funny thing was I wasn't near any trees at the time. It was persistent thought - it returned about 4 or 5 times before giving up.

Dazz

Postby Dazz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 am

Hi all,

Have been cycling for about a year and spent some time lurking around the forum and finally decided to sign up for an account.

I'm sure I have something that magpies really like or should I say dislike about me. Have been swoop by a number of the magpies discussed in this thread with a few making contact. The M7 and rouse hill magpies don't bother me too much, however that beast at McGraths Hill is a menace. The video posted earlier almost reenact a my trip the other week. Had a go at a mate at the lights then went him about six times, at this point he sprinted off in front of me and it had a crack at me twice.

I think I have also passed my magpie attraction to my son and as a result a contender for father of the year. I took him for a ride at the Crestwood box track in the hills district. I took the camera to get myself in position to take some photoshop him riding. Next minute as I was looking down the viewfinder snapping away our friend popped into the picture. I was pretty helpless and thankfully the bird wasn't all that aggressive.

Cheers
Daz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 am

I was swooped twice on Saturday just west of Wyong. It caught me by total surprise and I luckily stayed upright.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Dazz wrote: Next minute as I was looking down the viewfinder snapping away our friend popped into the picture. I was pretty helpless and thankfully the bird wasn't all that aggressive. [quote
Cute little fella - and the son too :)

Hope your son was successfully immunized against future attacks.

And welcome to BNA - your first post sets a great standard, and we will look forward to more contributions from you.

Cheers
WombatK

Kaete

Postby Kaete » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Dear all,

I have a one and a half metre long fibre glass rod AMD (Anti Magpie Device), adorned with reflective tape and flag, attached to my rear luggage carrier. It furiously bobs up and down, and side to side, as I ride along.

So far, so good!! ; - )

Kaete