Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

Dazz

Re: Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

Postby Dazz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for the welcome Wombat.

I think I have created a monster as he now wants to find magpies when we ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Kaete wrote:Dear all,

I have a one and a half metre long fibre glass rod AMD (Anti Magpie Device), adorned with reflective tape and flag, attached to my rear luggage carrier. It furiously bobs up and down, and side to side, as I ride along.

So far, so good!! ; - )

Kaete
Very creative. I've been taking a different angle - by going very slowly through a known magpie blackspot. Instead of doing 50km/h, I've been doing about 15km/h - but ready to speed up if needed. No ability to put any extra adornments on my bike though. A Giant TCR Advanced SL is minimalist, that's for sure.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:52 pm

On Thursday, while out on an early morning ride through the light fogs of Denmark, a VERY large western grey (roo) jumped out from a bushy gravel driveway in one of those "farmlet" developments right in front of my path. He froze for an moment and then carried on across the road and into the opposite driveway.

Biggest bugger I have ever seen outside of a zoo (I'd guess as tall as my wife). If I had been about two seconds earlier I wonder if I would have worn him.

(Sorry, not a perfect fit for this forum, but hardly worth it's own.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

kb

Postby kb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Wildlife and Nature Thread?

viewtopic.php?t=26771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Dazz wrote:Thanks for the welcome Wombat.

I have to agree with others, that was a brilliant photo and glad your son wasn't frightened despite probably heading a little in the wrong direction.

I've found a good solution for a regular maggie on my commute this week since daylight saving have kicked in. If it's still dark they're still asleep. So far so good ;-).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Dazz wrote:Thanks for the welcome Wombat.

I have to agree with others, that was a brilliant photo and glad your son wasn't frightened despite probably heading a little in the wrong direction.

I've found a good solution for a regular maggie on my commute this week since daylight saving have kicked in. If it's still dark they're still asleep. So far so good ;-).
Don't be so sure. I was riding through Canley Vale area at late dusk (getting dark) and still had a pair of them on the ground, the male one screeching in a very unpleasant/angry sounding manner. :shock: I was getting ready for the attack, but it didn't. :shock:

Through the other magpie black-spot I encounter, I try to follow another bike rider. And then go just ahead of them. :twisted:

gerardvok

Postby gerardvok » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:05 pm

riding from glenbrook to katoomba.. Past Lawson heading up hill, there is a demon bird that will not let up. He hit me about 3 times and tried another 9 or 10. Was between a temporary concrete guard rail and the road with about 1 metre of width between and no way to out run the ba$tard. Had to dismount and find a stick to swing on attack and keep walking up the hill. Went for about 100 metres.. every time I turned back to walk he'd have another go.. total nightmare..

The "eyes" on the back of the helmet don't do anything.. I think the ones I had probably pissed him off even more. Wont be heading up there until late November or December after that incident. Be warned..

Posted on another thread, but has anyone had issues with them on the Gongride?

leximack

Postby leximack » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:17 pm

I rode out to Windsor today and the McGraths Hill maggie got me on my way back.
No idea if the same one as before but seemed fairly aggressive. Luckily another cyclist came the other way so left me and went him instead :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Thats weird Donny, i have been past twice and nothing! Your freaking me out!!!!!!!