Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

Re: Magpies v Cyclists - 2013 season

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:08 pm

If someone does get seriously injured, or worse, dies as a result of this bird and council not doing anything about it, then surely the council is legally responsible for it?

Especially with so much correspondence going to them about the dangerous bird. Everyone should keep at the council about this. They can take action over it. Similar problem magpies elsewhere have been destroyed (in one case shot by Police).

I don't take pleasure writing that as ordinarily I love magpies. But very dangerous ones do need to be dealt with.
g-boaf

by BNA » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 pm

BNA

Postby herzog » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 pm

You guys might have more luck with NPWS.

Magpies are protected native fauna. The council doesn't own the maggie,nor did they put him there. They may be liable to prosecution if they interfere with it.

NPWS on the other hand have special rights in relation to wildlife management.
herzog

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Council can go to the NPWS for you. But you can always contact the regional office yourself, though I'd recommend that the information line would be a better starting point, they can put you in touch with the right regional office, there are a few of them around some areas - and it is easy to ring the wrong one.

I can't remember the specific section of the act that deals with this - it's been too many years since I worked with that lot. :( ( it was an awesome place to work for too).
g-boaf

Postby fatherofmany » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:08 pm

I've found out lots of things important to cyclists and magpies, two of them pertinent.

1. Magpie escape velocity is around 25km/h so harden up and speed up.

2. Zip ties don't work, well they do if looking like a git is your aim.
A red silicone blinkie like this Image
strapped through your helmet scares the others (the fast ones) away... if it's blinking.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish
fatherofmany

Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby BastardSheep » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:47 pm

fatherofmany wrote:I've found out lots of things important to cyclists and magpies, two of them pertinent.

1. Magpie escape velocity is around 25km/h so harden up and speed up.

TimW wrote:The Magraths Hill Magpie still gets you at 20 kph or 50 kph

g-boaf wrote:You cannot outrun them either. I've been doing 55km/h and still been hit on the side of the helmet by one.

... some people and posts already made in this very thread seem to be at odds with what you're saying.

I'd also like to see you to say "so harden up and speed up" to the people discussed in these posts earlier in this thread.

trailgumby wrote:There have been incidents reported of young children having eyesight irreparably damaged by these birds and affecting someone's whole life for the sake of a bird that lives a few years is just stupid.

winstonw wrote:In fact, a young girl had the cornea of one eye severely scratched last year, and now has permanently compromised vision.

Getting above 25kph isn't always an option. The paths, roads, hills, people, traffic around can make that not an option. There's also fitness. 25kph may seem like nothing to you, but you're just one person.

Please, think before you post. We don't want this thread locked again due to unwarranted dismissive attitudes.

fatherofmany wrote:2. Zip ties don't work, well they do if looking like a git is your aim.

I'm yet to see anyone actually provide evidence of them not working other than after making such a claim, returning with "well they look stupid". If you've got examples of magpies who have ignored well placed cable ties, please, do share the tale. The key in placing them from what I've read over the years is for them to be placed in locations and angles where they'll interfere with the wing of a flying magpie. Just having one or two sticking up well out of where the magpie's wings will be flapping is useless, they're not some magic keep-away device. They actually need to contact the magpie and disrupt its flight.

fatherofmany wrote:A red silicone blinkie like this Image
strapped through your helmet scares the others (the fast ones) away... if it's blinking.

I'm rather dubious of this one. It sounds like some kind of thing like the googly eyes that may work on certain magpies, but only on those certain ones in particular. It would be interesting to get wider testing of this, though.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail
BastardSheep

Postby herzog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Cyclist chased by Peregrine Falcon:

herzog

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:29 pm

In reply to the post above the video one, that's quite true. Magpies can move very very fast. Some will give up more easily if the target is going fast, a lot of them are very determined to give chase - even at 50km/h. :shock: :(

Not good if you are on a shared path where going really quick is a bit unsafe.

The better option to deter them might be a TT helmet. ;)
g-boaf

Postby leximack » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 pm

magpies are fast little buggers. I have been hit and chased by one coming down from bellbird hill at 70km/h, yes 70km/h :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Was very funny for mrcoops behind me until he realised that he was next on the target list :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
leximack

Postby fatherofmany » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:45 pm

My my aren't we being a bit precious. I thought that the sarcastic wit in the attempt to offer advice in my post was obvious. Alas it was not so.

I'm more ticked off with the bush turkey eating my chook feed and veggie garden than a measly magpie attacking my head. As stated, what I found works for me. The rotten buggers get past zip ties and a blinkie serves 2 purposes... So lighten up and enjoy the bike ride.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish
fatherofmany

Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby scotto » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:19 am

ulitmate magpie protection

scotto

Postby ab1981 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:51 pm

Got attacked on Banks Drive, St Clair yesterday - between the Cook Pde and Endeavour roundabouts. He's been there for a few years but seems more psycho this season!
ab1981

Postby slowK » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:24 am

My first magpie strike for the season on the ride home today. Rickard St Concord. He (she?) is there every year, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. Will be altering my route as of tomorrow...
slowK

Postby MREJ » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:06 am

I find that waving one arm in the air above my head deters them. You can also use a stick. Of course, you have to know they are there in the first place.

I think I've met most of the magpies on my usual routes now. I just make adjustments during Spring.

Please be careful evading birds. I learned this through experience a couple of years ago. I was hammering along Silverdale Rd in western Sydney one day, enjoying the countryside, when the clap of wings alerted me to an unwelcome visitor. The bird came around again, so the third time, I decided I'd have a swing at it. As it turned for the descent towards my head, I turned to look back. It made an impressive sight with its full wingspan on show and closing in rapidly. I waited, then at the right moment, swung my right fist at it. With a loud squawk it veered away and up. That was its last attempt, but not the end of the story.

My heart racing, I turned back around to see that I'd drifted over to the wrong side of the road. Not only that, there was a car heading straight at me, one or two hundred metres ahead. As you could imagine, this heightened my excitement even further.

Fortunately there was time to get back over to the left, so I have lived to tell this tale.

For those who don't know the area, I can recommend Silverdale, but perhaps not in early Spring. I go elsewhere at that time of year now.
2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, 2012 Felt F75, 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE
MREJ

Postby TimW » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Today i received a belated reply from the Hawkesbury council re a letter , i sent them recently regarding the Mgrath's Hill Magpie. The initial Council responce seems to be that signage will be the answer with a view to monitoring the situation, and the possiblility of involving the NPWS to remove the bird at a later date.
I have replied today, basically informing the council that whilst signage may facilitate coverage in a public liability sence, it will be absolutely useless in preventing further attacks by this bird.
So I have proposed that NPWS be involved in the first instance to either relocate or eradicate this pest, before someone, gets seriously injured or killed whilst inadvertently trying to defend themselves and being forced into the path of a car or truck.

I will report on further correspondence as it is received. I am also interested to hear if anyone else got a reply, if they sent a letter off.Tim
TimW

Postby Bah77 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Teach the bird to read.
Bah77

Postby TimW » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Bah77 wrote:Teach the bird to read.

wow that was funny :roll:
TimW

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:01 pm

TimW wrote: I am also interested to hear if anyone else got a reply, if they sent a letter off.Tim

Dear Mr X,

Thank you for your email in regards to the magpie at the intersection at Windsor Road Groves Ave.

Signage will be put out in the first instance to warn cyclists and the matter will then be monitored. Due to the history of this bird, Council staff will consider applying to National Parks and Wildlife Service to have the bird destroyed if it continues to be aggressive.

Regards

Sean Perry
Manager - Parks and Recreation
Hawkesbury City Council
Ph: 02 4560 4507
Fax: 02 4587 7740
Email: [email protected]
Visit our website: www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au

I think the greatest irony with signage is precisely that - a number of people already know the thing is there, but it doesn't change the distracting nature of its presence. I agree that fatherofmany is right - if it is just a bird causing issues, you can get over it but it's the semitrailers and utes and other vehicles that we'll hit trying to avoid the thing that is the real issue.
Xplora

Postby TimW » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Same reply as mine so i fired this one off to him

Sean, thanks for getting back to me re this matter. With all due respect, i think after 3-4 years of being attacked by this bird, that the time for signage might be a little late. The bird is a pest and a danger. Might I humbly suggest that the National Parks and wildlife be contacted as a priority, to either 1. Remove the bird, or 2. Eradicate the bird.

Whilst appreciating the fact that I do not reside in your local council area, many cyclists do, and i am aware that this matter was featured in your local paper last year, and is currently the topic of conversation on bike forums.

I hope the matter can be attended to, in my opinion signage will not help this problem, the bird is aggressive whether you ride on the road or cycle path, and someone is going to get hurt. Signage may balance out the risk to your council as a public liability however, the fact is that someone may be killed or seriously injured, if hit by a car or truck inadvertantly whilst trying to evade an attack from this bird.

Kind regards
TimW

Postby GrandSimon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:45 pm

I too got that same reply (word for word) from Sean Perry at Hawkesbury Council, and no doubt dozens of others have had the same.

Magpie season is part of cycling in Australia, but this particular McGraths Hill bird
* has a season two - three times as long as normal
* is particularly enthusiastic and vicious
* is up early and goes to bed late
* is on my regular commute
* hates me

Something has to be done.
Last edited by GrandSimon on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandSimon

Postby TimW » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Fire a reply back to him mate, the more replies, saying a sign is not good enough might see something done.Tim

edit, GrandSimon,i note from one of your previous replies that you have sent letters several times with no reply, hopefully if we can keep plugging away at it something will be done.
TimW

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Good reply Tim. My thoughts precisely.
g-boaf

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:28 pm

Heheheheheh!!!!!!!
The council is also flipping you the bird! :D
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby Benz250 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:13 pm

TimW wrote:Today i received a belated reply from the Hawkesbury council re a letter , i sent them recently regarding the Mgrath's Hill Magpie. The initial Council responce seems to be that signage will be the answer with a view to monitoring the situation, and the possiblility of involving the NPWS to remove the bird at a later date.

Yes I got the same reply finally this week also from council, on't know if bird will read the signs!
Benz250

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:50 pm

I got attacked 6 times by the same Magpie while racing in the countryside near Mudgee. I was by myself at the time and each time it pecked the back of my helmet
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby moya » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:38 pm

I was swooped today at the corner of Farrington Pde and Rowell St in North Ryde today. It didn't make contact and gave up. I don't think this is a common cycling route, so it probably won't be a big problem. I was looking for a quicker route from Putney to Epping Rd than going through West Ryde or Eastwood.
moya

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales