St Mary's to Kingswood route options.

BastardSheep

St Mary's to Kingswood route options.

Postby BastardSheep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:55 am

I was thinking of doing a loop this weekend from Emu Plains, east down the M4 to St Mary's then back westbound along Great Western Highway (I'm too slow/unfit to join the just starting Penrith bunch as yet, but I'm watching that thread for when I'm confident enough).

The problem is, although I've driven these roads plenty of times (or maybe BECAUSE I've driven them plenty of times), the idea of cycling on Mamre Rd and Great Western Highway is something I find quite scary to say the least. The good news is the local council are currently building a shared path, so my slow unfit self is OK from Claremont Meadows onwards, but getting to the start of that path from the M4 exit to Mamre Rd, I'm not entirely certain what to do.

In my normal riding I have no problems popping onto the footpath for short sections of up to 200m where the road intimidates me, but this section I'm referring to feels a bit long to stay on the footpath for, what with it being illegal for me to do and all.

Can anyone suggest any alternate routes? I've linked the specific section that worries me. I've checked opencyclemaps and found nothing there either.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/st-marys-problem
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail

HLC

Re: St Mary's to Kingswood route options.

Postby HLC » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:54 pm

You have a couple of options there.

I would not personally ride down that section of Highway and Mamre Rd. I lived in that area a few years back before I went to Perth, and am now back living on the south side of the M4 from there.

When you get off the M4 at Mamre road, turn left at the BP/Maccas and take the back streets down to Pages Road.

I then wouldn't turn left onto the highway, I would cross over and make my way back to Kingswood through the Werrington Side - Left on to Charles-Hackett, Right onto the Kingsway, Right onto Werrington Road, Left onto Parkes and then Victoria St. I haven't ridden through there for about 3 years, and I remember the roads not being fantastic, but much better than GWH.

Victoria st would be my only concern, because I honestly can't even picture it in my head, but there are ample back streets to get onto if it's too hectic. From there you can take yourself back to the highway and hit the shared path.

Or just sprint along that stretch between Pages Rd (or Neale Rd if you sneak down Putland St) and Market St/Reserve Road and take the back streets through Claremont Meadow's until the Path starts again.

And Penrith Bunch ride?

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm

That's a bit of a detour I was considering but I wasn't familiar with those back roads. I appreciate the tips.

I'll probably rejoin Great Western Highway on Werrington Road because that's not _too_ far from where I think they're up to with the construction of the path. The shared path then takes me most of the way to High St where I'm happy to rejoin the road.

As for the Penrith bunch ride thread, I was talking about this one here. :) http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 13&t=64511

bollo

Postby bollo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:26 pm

yeah we are slowly getting a few more on the ride prob best to get some fitness going as we are riding around 50 to 60 k rides but in saying that look forward to meeting you soon cheers Allan
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

BastardSheep

Postby BastardSheep » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Dropping the better half home after dinner tonight, I did a slight detour and the back streets from the BP to corner of Park & GWH suggested by HLC seem to be all that's really needed. From there the footpath seems quite consistent/smooth until the shared path starts up, and I know it's only very lightly used so pedestrians shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks everyone.

hewey

Postby hewey » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:00 pm

Yep, as a local I reckon that's the best bet :mrgreen: