McCarrs Creek Road Upgrade in September 2013

Re: McCarrs Creek Road Upgrade in September 2013

Postby vosadrian » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Agree.

I did the reverse direction and did West Head first. McCarrs creek Rd is glorious. What a great descent it is now. Then you turn left to go up to the West head turn off, and that was unchanged... seems worse after the descent. Actually, West head road seemed great before, but you notice a few repairs now after being spoiled with the new surface on the descent. Then back around Akuna anti-clockwise, and there was just a few short section of resurfacing and a longer 1km section near the bottom on the way down. I assumed it was a work in progress and would all be done soon, but maybe that is all they are doing?
vosadrian

by BNA » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:02 pm

BNA

Postby Anthony1234 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:02 pm

I checked it all out today.

I wish that they did the whole San Martin Drive, as the resurfaced sections are wonderful.

Unfortunately there is no sign of any more work in progress that I could see.
Anthony1234

Postby trailgumby » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm heading out there tomorrow. Last trip killed off my frame. Hoping to avoid a repeat o the new one!
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:51 am

Looks like they're not planning on patching General San Martin, judging by the line marking that's been applied.

Still, it's a major improvement.

The smooth pavement up McCarrs Creek Rd is niiiice - and definitely much faster on the climb. I set a PR up there today.

http://www.strava.com/activities/92836576
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:20 pm

I have some feedback from RMS as I wrote to address a few topics:

- Regarding general cycling safety and safe driving, the Northern Beaches Local Area Command (Police) will review the area to determine whether targeted enforcement is appropriate.

- Part of cyclist awareness is signage and I enquired - the RMS reviewed and found 1 sign missing that will be replaced.

- For the Liberator General St. Martin Drive, I guess many cyclists would have dreamed about seeing Akuna Bay completely resurfaced (ala McCarrs Creek Road and West Head Road) however the resurfacing is now complete and address problem areas.

- I enquired about resurfacing of the shoulders, specifically leaving St Ives and approaching the St Ives Showground. Nothing will happen here which is a little disappointing as the resurfacing partially enters the shoulder (about 1/3 of the lane) and doesn't really make sense considering that cyclists (and bunches) should have a safe path as the two lanes of traffic increase to 90kmh.

- Previously enquired about widening the cycling lane on the last kicker entering the bottom of St Ives - it becomes narrow sweeping left and some vehicles don't moderate their speed until the top of the hill - added to this is debris although this is not on the agenda.

- For both of the above, I have commented on the debris which builds up and it can take a while for obstacles to be cleared. No change however - general maintenance will remain as is.

- Finally, I suggested the the (East Bound) Mona Vale and Forest Way intersection is reviewed as cyclists merge into a narrow space into traffic slowing to 70 kmh. A wider cycling lane is possible and would better suit all traffic. This has been passed to the Traffic Engineering team for consideration.

Really positive to have a dialogue.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:50 am

AUbicycles wrote:I have some feedback from RMS as I wrote to address a few topics:

- Regarding general cycling safety and safe driving, the Northern Beaches Local Area Command (Police) will review the area to determine whether targeted enforcement is appropriate.

- Part of cyclist awareness is signage and I enquired - the RMS reviewed and found 1 sign missing that will be replaced.

- For the Liberator General St. Martin Drive, I guess many cyclists would have dreamed about seeing Akuna Bay completely resurfaced (ala McCarrs Creek Road and West Head Road) however the resurfacing is now complete and address problem areas.

- I enquired about resurfacing of the shoulders, specifically leaving St Ives and approaching the St Ives Showground. Nothing will happen here which is a little disappointing as the resurfacing partially enters the shoulder (about 1/3 of the lane) and doesn't really make sense considering that cyclists (and bunches) should have a safe path as the two lanes of traffic increase to 90kmh.

- Previously enquired about widening the cycling lane on the last kicker entering the bottom of St Ives - it becomes narrow sweeping left and some vehicles don't moderate their speed until the top of the hill - added to this is debris although this is not on the agenda.

- For both of the above, I have commented on the debris which builds up and it can take a while for obstacles to be cleared. No change however - general maintenance will remain as is.

- Finally, I suggested the the (East Bound) Mona Vale and Forest Way intersection is reviewed as cyclists merge into a narrow space into traffic slowing to 70 kmh. A wider cycling lane is possible and would better suit all traffic. This has been passed to the Traffic Engineering team for consideration.

Really positive to have a dialogue.

Thanks Chris. I agree that the narrow shoulder on the corner of Mona Vale Rd and Myoora Rd is extremely dangerous and needs to be widened urgently. I've seen so many near misses with cars shaving cyclists at that location. That last kicker you mention is also a squeeze point and leaves no margin of error for cyclists or motorists.
biker jk

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:58 pm

I called Pittwater council about Potholes on McCarrs Creek Road - Bayview area where it has the old surface (outside of the national park) and there are two very tight apex corners before approaching Church Point (east bound).

There was a sloppy patch job on one which doesn't significantly improve the surface and safety for bike riders as it remains a very rough corner.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to New South Wales