Sydney to Gong 2013

Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby hasla » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Who's in, and are you riding with a team, and what team?
hasla
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:43 pm

by BNA » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 pm

BNA
 

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 pm

This might be better in the NSW Subsection.

I'll be there on the Mobile Support crew. If you get a flat or have a mechanical problem, we'll be there to fix it. If you bonk severely and end up sitting, crying on the side of the road with 10km to go, we'll stop and give you jelly beans and water while you wait for someone to pick you up. If you are feeling powerful and dominant while riding up Bald Hill, we will smile at you and say "hello" as we pass you while carrying 20kg of tools and a floor pump in our panniers.

Say "Hi" if you see me.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3010
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby Cossie Phil » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Yep, Im doing the ride again this year:)...might have my wife along which will mean the old Diamondback roadie from the late 80's will get a run for the day to cruise down. Otherwise I'm keen for an all out TT on the new roadie!! We'll be riding with the Inchcape/Subaru Aust team.

Cheers,

Phil.
Image
Cossie Phil
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 5:35 pm
Location: Hoxton Park

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:01 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:This might be better in the NSW Subsection.

I'll be there on the Mobile Support crew. If you get a flat or have a mechanical problem, we'll be there to fix it. If you bonk severely and end up sitting, crying on the side of the road with 10km to go, we'll stop and give you jelly beans and water while you wait for someone to pick you up. If you are feeling powerful and dominant while riding up Bald Hill, we will smile at you and say "hello" as we pass you while carrying 20kg of tools and a floor pump in our panniers.

Say "Hi" if you see me.

Hi,

Can I be a support crew too?
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Apply as a volunteer on the event website. Choose Mobile Support as a job.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3010
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby rheicel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:25 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Apply as a volunteer on the event website. Choose Mobile Support as a job.

Thanks. Will do that now.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby Pedaling » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:55 pm

We are riding with an NRMA roadside assistance team. So far we have about a dozen people who said they will do it. Also NRMA pay for half our entry fee. They are a great company to work for.
Looking forward to it, as we had a great time last year.
Hope the weather is as good as last year too.

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
Pedaling
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: Botany, Sydney.

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:12 am

How would you rate this ride in terms of difficulty? How far is it? Is there drink and food stops along the way or are you supposed to do all under your own steam? Thanks!
AndrewCowley
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 am

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby GAV!N » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:27 am

Check the website for route length/profile Andrew, but it's quite an easy ride, very relaxed (or not if you so wish). I did the full length last year after riding for only 4 months, as well as to and from which was another 30km. There are a number of food stops with muffins, drinks, etc included in the price. For the full length, the first 30kms are very stop start, with traffic lights and crowds etc. Once you hit the national park it's a very nice ride. Anyone can do it, people on BMX bikes even do it! Kids do it! You can do it! :)

http://www.msgongride.org.au/
Scott CR1 - 105 - Mavic Kyserium equippe
Image
GAV!N
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby queequeg » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:45 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:How would you rate this ride in terms of difficulty? How far is it? Is there drink and food stops along the way or are you supposed to do all under your own steam? Thanks!


It is just over 83km (not 90km as stated), and despite the awful looking climb up Bald Hill, it is actually a very gentle climb.
If you haven't had much time in the saddle, you might get a sore behind, since it will take you over 4 hours at a sedate 20km/h pace, but it is otherwise a nice and easy ride. There are lots of official stops, and plenty of unofficial ones too. You can elect to have your lunch stop in the national park, but even at a slow pace you might find it is only 10am when you get there :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Thanks all. It sounds like a good day out, and in my case, a cool way of doing a ride of that duration for the first time. My real concern is time in the saddle and whether my bum can cope. But between now and then I guess I can prepare for that.
AndrewCowley
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 am

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby rheicel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Yey, you will see me guys during the Gong ride. I will be one of the mobile support crew as well.
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:09 pm

rheicel wrote:Yey, you will see me guys during the Gong ride. I will be one of the mobile support crew as well.


Good work! Let me know if you want to ride partner (they do the mobile support in pairs). I ride there, ride down, bus back (free for mobile support), then ride back from the start for around 150km on the day.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3010
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby rheicel » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
rheicel wrote:Yey, you will see me guys during the Gong ride. I will be one of the mobile support crew as well.


Good work! Let me know if you want to ride partner (they do the mobile support in pairs). I ride there, ride down, bus back (free for mobile support), then ride back from the start for around 150km on the day.

Good, work will be easier if there is a partner. Hopefully they will allow support in pairs. I am thinking of riding all the way back for a 200km. What do you think?
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 pm

They always do mobile support in pairs. I don't know if I will do the round trip. I tried it a few years ago and it started getting late, so I jumped on the train. As a mobile support person, you'll end up taking about 7 hours to get down there. It's a long day.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3010
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby rheicel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:48 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:They always do mobile support in pairs. I don't know if I will do the round trip. I tried it a few years ago and it started getting late, so I jumped on the train. As a mobile support person, you'll end up taking about 7 hours to get down there. It's a long day.

They have advised me that my start time is at 7am. What time are you starting?
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:22 am

My start time is 740, but from past experience they're fluid about that sort of stuff.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3010
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby rheicel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:09 pm

That means we will be at the finish line at around 2-3PM?
Image
User avatar
rheicel
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby familyguy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm in. 6:30 start time. Last year added another 14km (it's only 86 line to line) for a century in sub-4hrs. I'll probably wear the BNA jersey if my LBS isn't doing start line support this year.

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5037
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:58 pm

rheicel wrote:That means we will be at the finish line at around 2-3PM?


Yep, that sounds about right. That's when I've gotten down there in the past.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3010
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby Pedaling » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Guys I am doing the ride again this year as you can see from my previous post.
If you see a bunch with NRMA jerseys, say G'day!
I am planning to return on the bike.
What is the best route for me to take on the return leg?
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
Pedaling
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: Botany, Sydney.

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby familyguy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 am

Shame to see the Gong Ride facebook page being hit with the hate...

Jim
User avatar
familyguy
 
Posts: 5037
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Cromer, NSW

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Haven't seen the hate (avoid using Facebook) - but another race was cancelled recently too with five of the top teams refusing to take part due to issues surrounding provision of a rolling roadblock.

I think the time is probably near for the end of all but major top level international cycling events on roads. :(
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby hasla » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:33 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:Yep, Im doing the ride again this year:)...might have my wife along which will mean the old Diamondback roadie from the late 80's will get a run for the day to cruise down. Otherwise I'm keen for an all out TT on the new roadie!! We'll be riding with the Inchcape/Subaru Aust team.

Cheers,

Phil.


Hey Phill will see you for sure on the Gong ride and around Austral :roll:
hehe
hasla
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby TMjpn » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:30 pm

g-boaf wrote:Haven't seen the hate (avoid using Facebook) - but another race was cancelled recently too with five of the top teams refusing to take part due to issues surrounding provision of a rolling roadblock.

I think the time is probably near for the end of all but major top level international cycling events on roads. :(


That was the Goulburn to Sydney race from memory..

I don't think the MS Gong ride is worth complaining about. It like any other event - ala Sydney Marathon or City to Surf etc. Major roads get closed for those and if anything the locals embrace the event.

People need to stop the me first whining. The entrants pay for the privilege of the road space and policing involved during the event on top of the fundraising element. If anyone wants to complain why don't they stump up the $4.5 million injection into the MS Charity themselves so they don't have to share the road for one morning of a year.
Image
User avatar
TMjpn
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Next

Return to New South Wales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter