Sydney to Gong 2013

Xplora

Re: Sydney to Gong 2013

Postby Xplora » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 am

Yeah the views were quite nice but I think I had about 2 minutes of the 2 hours 30 spent actually enjoying them... need to do the ride with family to slow down a bit!

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:So that was you on the masi. Had a perve at the bike on the way down. Don't know what you look like, though.
Typical! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

FatGuts

Postby FatGuts » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:So that was you on the masi. Had a perve at the bike on the way down. Don't know what you look like, though.
Where did you pass me? I had a few comments about the bike and planty of stares. I love it, the only downfall is its a bit heavy and the wide tyres but as I am getting older my top speed is not so important to me, the fun factor is (+ I am a MTBer at heart).

I could post a photo but it may break the interwebs..........Oh OK, here is my blog from the event: http://register.gongride.org.au/2013-Sy ... /KarlBrown

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 am

Out of curiosity what time did the last rider roll in? Is there a time limit?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:36 am

When I left the BBQ and rode back up Princes Hwy and Newtown way, I saw the safety vehicles moving out and ready to do their sweep. Yet, when I got to the top of Sydney park, there were still a few stragglers waiting at the lights to get to the start line, even a trike being carried across the road. They'll be amongst the last.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

gerardvok

Postby gerardvok » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:20 pm

First Gong ride.. First Group ride.. First time in a pack..
Only wish I had discovered road riding 25 years ago (41 now)..
Just wanted to thank the organizers of the Gong ride for everything. As a first timer I found the whole experience thrilling and awe inspiring. I talked with a fellow who had ridden the GR for the last 20 years!! If you're on this list (gentleman on a sweet looking Cervello) thanks for the conversation. (Sorry I sorta disappeared from you, but wanted to say thanks for the chat)

I have only ever ridden alone after starting riding about 7 months ago and trained for that long for this ride. Did it in 2hrs 46, and yelled like a total nutter (cause no one was watching) down the steeps at 71kph.

For those of you who are used to riding amongst more 'competitive' riders in a pack, I can only imagine that you find it a bit addictive. I learned the hard way about stealth riders off to my side screaming into the pack millimeters from my front wheel.. :) Intense!!!

Now I need to look for another ride.. quick..

One question for any takers out there... There were a lot of photographers camped out at good locations shooting anything that rode passed.. I'd love to get a photo of my ride if anyone knows who these photog's were? Were there any people from the Gong ride shooting along the way?

Thanks for the ride!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:30 pm

Xplora wrote:Yeah the views were quite nice but I think I had about 2 minutes of the 2 hours 30 spent actually enjoying them... need to do the ride with family to slow down a bit!
View.... what views?!?! I don't think I noticed with the pain train I was on!! At least I got to enjoy them on the slow train on the way back!! I think next time for me will be with my wife at leisure pace and enjoy the views.

For those more competitive who have not done it before, it is possible to go pretty much as fast you like once you get outside of the first 20kms or so. The first 20kms were spent finding our way between heaps of riders and stuck at a few lights. Once we hit the Kingsway, it started up hill and there seemed more room, and we were pretty much able to go as hard as we liked. There were a few narrow sections where you had to check it was clear on the road and go out into the lane to overtake. I expected to be held up at the top of the descents, but if you were running in groups near the front, the Police bike was right in front of you and you went straight down.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:46 pm

The key is a bitch gear aka compact. Most of the weapons run standard so you can pick up tons of time on inclines. Use this to gaze at the forest or the sea. You get 10 seconds before the train hits your caboose on its back on the gas. :)

Sounds like you got the bug Gerard. Get a license, start racing. You will build networks quick enough. Bunch riding is like a pub on wheels, going the furthest distance possible to get a coffee :lol:

My experience was different to Vossy, but he was running in a pack so couldn't Geronimo out onto the right hand lanes indiscriminately like me. I was going through the witches hats and all sorts through Tempe onwards. Didn't feel like it would be safe of everyone did it though. Sadly it's not enough space for two friends to BSO near the gutter while the pain train whistles past. Honestly feel in the morning they would do better to leave one lane and gradually reclaim it back at 8 when the traffic gets thicker. I could grab the unreserved centre lane quite safely most of the time.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:06 pm

Every year I tell myself I'll make it for my scheduled start time at 6:15. I always end up at the start about 6:45, get away at 7, and dawdle the first 10km avoiding incidents. But that's what makes it enjoyable. And I do (somewhat perversely) enjoying seeing all the people who screamed by at Brighton off the bike with cramps about Austinmer.

Jim