Looking for a track MTB

Looking for a track MTB

Postby jameshans » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi guys, I had a ride first time at hornsby mountian bike trail, felt really good. Is there any other places you can go for beginners and intermediate level?
jameshans

by BNA » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:28 am

BNA

Re: Looking for a track MTB

Postby george-bob » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:28 am

I know very little about mountain biking, but here are two places I have heard of: manly damn, ourimbah...
george-bob

Postby eon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:13 am

If your on Strava, here's a map of another track for ya
http://www.strava.com/activities/82517406

Was actually there yesterday. The Quarry road trail Dural to Hornsby is quite a good trail for some fast downhill, or some grueling sharp 20% climbs.
You can link that to OMV at Hornsby.

Have fun !!!!
eon

Postby leximack » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:40 pm

the track at mount annan is fairly newbie friendly and has b lines around the harder stuff.
Old man Valley at Hornsby has an easy circuit (blue) and more technical (black) circuit
Yarramundi is sort of a figure 8 course, upperhalf is technical (ish) where as the bottom loop is newbie friendly.
Fred Caterson at castle hill is super easy but hard to find your way around the first time unless you have a tour guide
leximack

Postby trailgumby » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Join nobmob.com. My handle on there is "hawkeye"

There is a comprehensive trails database from which you can download gpx or kml files of all the tracks around Sydney.

I wouldn't call the blue loop at OMV easy, it's definitely intermediate as rated. While fully rollable with no jumps or hucking needed, it's a better than average core strength workout... 5 or 6 laps around there and I'm stuffed and the mistakes start to creep in ... and then it's time to pull the pin. The only letup is that short fire road climb.

Can't wait til the rest of the loop is built!

I'm just waiting for a tweaked thumb to settle and I'll be back off road. There are heaps of trails around the northern beaches I can show you.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:23 pm

Manly Dam is also blue rated with some black sections and no B lines. I live right next to it.

Ourimbah is an hour north on the freeway and one of my favorite places to ride but is also moderately technical. It will challenge your fitness and technique. You can also get a bit lost without a guide. Awaba is 20 minutes north of Ourimbah and is more flowy and bermed and is better signed.

If you look up my youtube channel I have some POV vids that will give you an idea.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Return to New South Wales