Any "tours" associated with Grafton to Inverell?

Any "tours" associated with Grafton to Inverell?

Postby master6 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:43 am

Are there any "tours" for riders wanting to see this years Grafton to Inverell? I mean cycling tours, not bus tours.
master6

by BNA » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 am

BNA

Re: Any "tours" associated with Grafton to Inverell?

Postby Webby84 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 am

I'd be really surprised if there were. Why don't you just C grade with some mates and ride it at you're own pace? Apparently C grade ride at a touring pace until about Glen Innes anyway. I'm hoping to have a good crack a C grade
Webby84

Postby master6 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:01 pm

Webby84 wrote:I'd be really surprised if there were. Why don't you just C grade with some mates and ride it at you're own pace? Apparently C grade ride at a touring pace until about Glen Innes anyway. I'm hoping to have a good crack a C grade

:D :D I'm not sure whether your "apparently" indicates that you are an "A" grade rider and dont know how "c" grade ride, or whether you have not done this race.

I can assure you that your suggested race strategy sounds good, but does not work.
There are a few factors that throw a spanner in the works, such as, the time limit, and the conflict when one or more of the "mates" weaken, while other of the mates want to push ahead. I have seen mates groups all fail to finish within the time limit due to carrying "passengers".

I'm starting to sound like a smart arse; sorry :cry:

Let me assure you that you need to suck every wheel in the race, and go as hard as you can with some form of conservation in mind, otherwise you will end up as a non finisher. There are some stats around the internet somewhere, showing that about 40% of starters over 50 years of the race, have failed to finish.

I sadly say, that I am at an age where I would be silly to start in this race, thus I am looking for an easier option in which I can still enjoy some of the atmosphere of this fantastic event.

From experience, I can tell you that you will be highly elated when you "finish", but be warned, for most of us, this is not an easy event.

Back to my original question:-

'Anyone riding the course as a sight see?" .
master6

Postby rogan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:15 pm

They have run an etape/gran fondo type thing in February, don't know if that is still going. Not with the race, obviously.

Agree it's not the sort of course you can easily cruise with mates. More like a 3PC without the killer punch at the tail.

Webby - they won't cruise to Glen Innes(!!), although the first ~72 km should be reasonably calm. You will be fine though.
rogan

Postby focusrider » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:17 am

Robbie you will smash it mate, 228k ouch!

Wayno
focusrider

Return to New South Wales