Ride to Conquer Cancer on Western Sydney Cycleways - Headsup

wombatK

Ride to Conquer Cancer on Western Sydney Cycleways - Headsup

Postby wombatK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:26 am

Just a heads up...

The Ride to Conquer Cancer will be making extensive use of cycleways between Sydney Olympic
Park and Camden on Saturday and/or Sunday.

It will affect the Sydney Olympic Park precinct, parts of the Parramatta River Cycleway, M7 Cycleway,
Prospect Canal Cycleway and Liverpool Rail Trail.

Detailed maps here Saturday's Route and Sunday's Route

Be prepared to share the cycleways if they're your usual haunt.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Re: Ride to Conquer Cancer on Western Sydney Cycleways - Hea

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:47 am

Are they going to re-open the prospect reservoir again, after closing it for nearly a week just for this? Have they started construction works already?

Heads up too for any riders going through the Canal Cycleway - keep your eyes open for Brown snakes. :!: They are out and about, one tried to attack me on Monday afternoon.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks, I had planned to ride the M7 this Sunday - think I will take another route
Anything you can do, I can do slower

BigBadWOLF

Postby BigBadWOLF » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Sorry guys but those maps are last years.. below are this years maps

Day 1
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3198933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Day 2
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2975138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kris..
Trek 7.3 - Daily Commute (Wolli Creek - City)

Mouse136

Postby Mouse136 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Looks like the Sydney Ride to Conquer Cancer this year is having the overnight camp in Winsor. That should provide a bit of a different route to the last 2 years finishing in Camden.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Isn't the marathon on this weekend on the M7?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:18 am

Rockford wrote:Isn't the marathon on this weekend on the M7?
RTCC is on Oct 11-12.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 am

I was trying to see if I could find the route for this ride just out of interest as someone I know is entering in it and I may be helping him prepare for it (it's probably the first time he has done anything like that).

If it stops in Windsor, then that will be a lot easier as the riding out that way isn't all that bad.

jgon286

Postby jgon286 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:I was trying to see if I could find the route for this ride just out of interest as someone I know is entering in it and I may be helping him prepare for it (it's probably the first time he has done anything like that).

If it stops in Windsor, then that will be a lot easier as the riding out that way isn't all that bad.
I did it last year. Here's the route, but I did start from home. Just look at the route once it leaves SOP. it's nowhere near Windsor and I assume it'll be the same route this year too. A great, well organised two days. Thoroughly recommend it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/88483090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ridley Fenix
'Dale CAADX
Spec Hardrock29er

jgon286

Postby jgon286 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Oops, my bad. The overnight stay is at Freemans Reach this year. Good chance of passing through Windsor then.

That will be good to get a different route and new vistas.

Still fundraising though...
Ridley Fenix
'Dale CAADX
Spec Hardrock29er

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:51 am

jgon286 wrote:Oops, my bad. The overnight stay is at Freemans Reach this year. Good chance of passing through Windsor then.

That will be good to get a different route and new vistas.

Still fundraising though...
Ah, that's a nice ride out that way. It's not too hard. I've been out that way once.

Go join the Trek Rouse hill ride when they go at 6:30am in the morning (IIRC) - you'll get lots of practice riding that route. They go to Freemans Reach most of the time and back for a coffee at Rouse Hill shopping centre.

Mouse136

Postby Mouse136 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:37 am

vikramranna

Postby vikramranna » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:14 am

Does anyone know if there are any road blocks on the M7 path for the event this weekend? If sections and times of closure can be provided then at least we can plan our rides accordingly.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:33 am

vikramranna wrote:Does anyone know if there are any road blocks on the M7 path for the event this weekend? If sections and times of closure can be provided then at least we can plan our rides accordingly.
Looking at the routes posted above it doesn't appear that the M7 path will be used at all.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:33 am

What time are they due in Olympic Park on Sun 12th? I have a group ride planned around there using the Parra River Cycleway for about 4pm.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:09 pm

I imagine they'd all be through to there by 3:00pm or so.

I forgot about the ride and came back through Prospect around 11:30am and encountered some of the slower bunches coming through there. So I stopped and waited for a colleague who I knew was doing the ride. Saw him eventually and followed him through Merrylands off to Westmead through some of the more 'risky' streets to see he got through okay and turned home.

And it was nice to give a few people who were obviously tired and hurting a bit of encouragement! :)

What was very disappointing was the behaviour of some motorists who were extremely impatient. Good thing Police were positioned in a few locations to deter them from doing worse. Amazing what a blue uniform does for attitude adjustment.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:26 pm

g-boaf wrote: What was very disappointing was the behaviour of some motorists who were extremely impatient. Good thing Police were positioned in a few locations to deter them from doing worse. Amazing what a blue uniform does for attitude adjustment.
The impatient motorists are mostly stress-heads who get angry too easily. Fortunately, this significantly raises there chance of getting cancer and a number of
other nasty life-shortening illnesses. So just realise that bad karma, especially to a bunch of cyclists riding to conquer cancer, will get them in the end.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

RobboMC

Postby RobboMC » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:11 am

I saw some of the directions signs in my area on Friday. Now looking at the route maps I sort of get the idea the people creating these routes have out of date information. In a few places the ride could have been made so much better by using a new piece of path here and there. And sadly they went within a km or so of the new M4 extension west of Granville, but didn't use it. This also happened through Wetherill Park where roads were used instead of a nearby cycle path, although on a Sunday the roads there are deserted anyway so not such a big issue.

I'm sure most people on this forum would be happy to add their detailed local knowledge to improve the route for all concerned if it were posted early enough.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:18 pm

This is on again. There will probably be some less experienced riders out there, so just be a bit more cautious, and give them plenty of encouragement. :)

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:42 pm

I'm guessing the canal path might be busy tomorrow then? I was going to go for a cruise to the reservoir and back.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:53 pm

tez001 wrote:I'm guessing the canal path might be busy tomorrow then? I was going to go for a cruise to the reservoir and back.
I'm not sure which way they'll be heading back. But if you go really early you should be fine.