TUESDAY NIGHT FOOTPATH RACING (allegedly) - M7 C/way 6.15pm

Xplora

Re: TUESDAY NIGHT FOOTPATH RACING (allegedly) - M7 C/way 6.1

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 pm

I think leximack was saying "only in winter" for that reason. It does get too busy during summer for the really big groups.

It's a bit weird to think that this group is attracting attention because there are a couple of Saturday rides that regularly attract 10+ riders and they are fine. It's unusually large, sure, but that is no reason for stopping rides. A few guys got together for a ride. It was warmer for a change, more than usual came out. Yay. A lot of small groups were out as we were coming back at 7:30. It could easily be argued these people also created more risk than a lone rider... you cannot push yourself in any pursuit without some risk to your wellbeing or the wellbeing of others. If someone else wants to be wrapped in cotton wool, I would suggest the M7 path is a bad place to hang out. They would be just as traumatised hanging around the Simms Road section with the pedestrians as a bunch of riders... I have trusted the riders who were in front of me many times, and I would take their assessment of risk over my own. I just don't see the point, and I can appreciate why boaf gets sick of the complaining. You'd think it was a campaign to ban bikes altogether sometimes :shock:

Tbanger

Postby Tbanger » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:52 pm

Xplora wrote:
I think leximack was saying "only in winter" for that reason. It does get too busy during summer for the really big groups.

It's a bit weird to think that this group is attracting attention because there are a couple of Saturday rides that regularly attract 10+ riders and they are fine. It's unusually large, sure but that is no reason for stopping rides. A few guys got together for a ride. It was warmer for a change, more than usual came out. Yay. A lot of small groups were out as we were coming back at 7:30. It could easily be argued these people also created more risk than a lone rider... you cannot push yourself in any pursuit without some risk to your wellbeing or the wellbeing of others. If someone else wants to be wrapped in cotton wool, I would suggest the M7 path is a bad place to hang out. They would be just as traumatised hanging around the Simms Road section with the pedestrians as a bunch of riders... I have trusted the riders who were in front of me many times, and I would take their assessment of risk over my own. I just don't see the point, and I can appreciate why boaf gets sick of the complaining. You'd think it was a campaign to ban bikes altogether sometimes :shock:

but that is no reason for stopping rides.
when was that said?. The issue is speed and size.

you cannot push yourself in any pursuit without some risk to your wellbeing or the wellbeing of others. If someone else wants to be wrapped in cotton wool, I would suggest the M7 path is a bad place to hang out/quote]
Thats what Race tracks are for, not shared paths. Just because someone rides either solo or in smaller groups does not mean they are wrapped in cotton wool.

and I can appreciate why boaf gets sick of the complaining/quote]
Does his fair share of complaining on this forum !!!

You'd think it was a campaign to ban bikes altogether sometimes

slight over reaction.

An interesting point is another local bike shop that rides on a Thursday night, has already identified the risks involved in large groups on the M7, and has changed the ride format from group smashfest, to individual TT, to which some of them member here ride. Intelligent risk assesment i would have though
Last edited by Tbanger on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Xplora wrote:... If someone else wants to be wrapped in cotton wool, I would suggest the M7 path is a bad place to hang out.
Sorry, I wasn't going to post in this discussion again, but really??? You want to take over a piece of public infrastructure do you?

Me and my mates might like to do some drifting and high speed racing along the M4. Anyone not prepared to wave us through happily should go somewhere else??????

I hope you just didn't think that one through.

Cheers,
Greg

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:31 pm

My point is that safety is an illusion, everything has risks, and no one is talking about taking over the path. There are many parts of the M7 path where a rider in each direction at 30kmh (the advisory speed limit) is extremely dangerous if the riders lack skills and aren't paying attention... if you want to take that perspective. Bikes create more risk than no risk. Your presence on the M7 path is more risky than an empty path.

If anyone doesn't want to share the path, they should choose another place to be. I really dislike sharing the road in a car, I try and minimise my time driving. Responsibility doesn't solely exist with any single party. Yes, riders must be careful, but others need to be careful they aren't getting upset simply because someone else wants to do something different to them - especially when no laws are broken, and due care and attention has been taken.

I don't think we need to take over anything - but I certainly don't accept that everyone else is allowed to take over the infrastructure either, and the premier cycling path in Sydney can not handle a dozen experienced blokes riding bikes there.

Please refer to the title of the thread, and consider that TNFPR came into existance because of the riding style of your mates, Greg. It's like you've forgotten years of KOM hunting?

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:50 pm

Ah, forget it....

Tbanger

Postby Tbanger » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:55 pm

zozza

Postby zozza » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 pm

Greg@home

Postby Greg@home » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:36 pm

I cant wait for next Tuesday... I love it
B.L.T.H....Brake late,Turn hard

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:01 pm

g-boaf wrote:Neither - I've lost the interest in riding bikes. If I didn't have an obligation to someone else to keep going I'd have stopped a month ago.
Stick with it Chris. Focus on the positive things about cycling, of which there are many.
Last edited by Chuck on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FPR Ragamuffin

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:09 pm

Chuck wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Neither - I've lost the interest in riding bikes. If I didn't have an obligation to someone else to keep going I'd have stopped a month ago.
Stick with it Chris. Focus on the positives things about cycling, of which there are many.
indeed, my best mates are now my cycling buddies. We ride fast, slow, short and far and its all good when your doing it with mates.
My best memories have been with soemthing to do with cycling.
Sure there are a few people who think they know more than everyone else but dont let them put you down. You ARE better than them.
Sat morning, 8am tway, seeya there :D :D

Don

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:13 pm

this thread used to be so much fun, wheres spiz with his funny photoshopped pics :?: :lol: :lol:

anyway everyone has a right to do what they want and when they want and at what speed they want.
everyone is responsible for themselves so make up your own mind.

see some of you tonight
see some of you sat morning
see some of you next tuesday night

all others may continues to ride by themselves :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greg@home

Postby Greg@home » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:29 pm

leximack wrote:
anyway everyone has a right to do what they want and when they want and at what speed they want.
everyone is responsible for themselves so make up your own mind.

all others may continues to ride by themselves :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm only new here.... But I totally agree

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:59 pm

zozza wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Neither - I've lost the interest in riding bikes.
lol, yeah right...see you out there Saturday morning :D

riding schedule resumed back to normal...more or less :mrgreen:
im pretty sure its your turn to shout breakfast Zozz, you missed a couple of turns :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:31 am

leximack wrote:
im pretty sure its your turn to shout breakfast Zozz, you missed a couple of turns :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good try mate, It was my treat last time :mrgreen:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:33 pm

zozza wrote:
Chuck wrote:Image

On the way

This thread has had it's moments :mrgreen:
FPR Ragamuffin

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Greg@home

Postby Greg@home » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Hey guys,
This is proberly the wrong thread for this question...but I thought that all of you ride the same path as me...soooo , My question is...

What sort of gearing do you guys use?

My old "105" set up was 39t front inner chain ring with a 11-28 rear cassette..it was always a bit clunky.But seemed good

Now I have a new bike I want to set the gearing up..

My current gearing on my new bike is 36t front inner with a 12-23.
I always feel like I don't have enough gears. I am always selecting the outer in inner front chain ring just to keep up..its annoying.

what gearing do you guys use?

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Greg@home wrote:Hey guys,
This is proberly the wrong thread for this question...but I thought that all of you ride the same path as me...soooo , My question is...

What sort of gearing do you guys use?

My old "105" set up was 39t front inner chain ring with a 11-28 rear cassette..it was always a bit clunky.But seemed good

Now I have a new bike I want to set the gearing up..

My current gearing on my new bike is 36t front inner with a 12-23.
I always feel like I don't have enough gears. I am always selecting the outer in inner front chain ring just to keep up..its annoying.

what gearing do you guys use?
i have 39/54 upfront and 11/28 at the back, for the cycleway i never user the 39, its always in the big ring and then just use all the gears at the back depending on how fast you need to go. The gearing you have is fine, just need to find the right gear for the conditions and that will come with practice.
Maybe when the cassette needs changing get a 12/27 or similiar, this will give you a couple of extra easier gears if you want to climb some proper hills.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Yep. You can definitely survive even a 55/42 with an 11-23 on the back on the M7. It's not going to be pretty, but you can survive. Part of the difficulty is allowing yourself to slow down on the hills. "My" experience with group riding is most blokes will stick to a speed and depending on their strength, will just stay there. The blowtorch on Tuesday was a solid 38-39 most of the way down. You can't get enough gears to hold that pace, you need legs LOL It's the problem with everyone having a speedo, but everyone has different heart rates and power and cadence. Try running a higher gear than normal for a couple rides, so you build some muscle to spin 80rpm.

Greg@home

Postby Greg@home » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:23 pm

Maybe I need to get in the big ring some more...

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:55 am

FPR Ragamuffin

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Greg@home wrote:Maybe I need to get in the big ring some more...
Try some low cadence runs on hills for about 3-5min at a time, give yourself a few minutes in between. When I say low cadence, try 55-65rpm and stay seated. Do that for three or four weeks. And then change it up with high RPM after that. It's a common training technique.

I'm using 53-39 with 11-25 at the moment. It's fine for the M7. But mine is 11 speed though.

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Big Ring is your friend, play with it more :shock: :lol: :lol:

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:32 pm

I believe Supercoach says it's big ring all the way

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:49 pm

leximack wrote:
Big Ring is your friend, play with it more :shock: :lol: :lol:
Might wear it out.