In olde English "Fitz" means...

rogan

In olde English "Fitz" means...

Postby rogan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:52 pm

How appropriate...

Driving home from work today, I finally worked out what had happened. Let this be a lesson for you.

So, we started the 205 and 255 together. A big bunch ~300 riders, guided by a cop on a motorbike. I stayed in the front 10 or so, which was fine. We dropped into Uriarra Crossing, went across the mighty Murrumbidgee, up the other side of Uriarra crossing – at the top we had about 100 riders. 10 km up the road, Extreme riders go straight, Epic riders turn left, down Mt Mcdonald and onto the course proper. We had about 60 of us in the front bunch. After Pierce’s Creek, we still had at least 40 riders. It was calm out to Fitz's almost nothing happened. Except two kangaroos that tried to hop through the front of the bunch, a guy who dropped a bottle right in front of me, and one rider who missed the right hander at Tharwa and crashed in the gravel. I didn't see that one, just heard it. I had a bar, and a gel about 6 km before Fitz's. I had minor issues with indexing, changing from the 28 to the 24 and 21 was messy, requiring a double shift. That continued all day.

I was riding with a good mate, Pete, who I ride with regularly. We both needed a comfort stop, and stopped for one minute opposite Apollo Rd, 3 km from the base of Fitz's. How long does it take to pass what felt like 3 litres? We then went hard to the base of Fitz’s, the pack were in sight before the climb. Nevertheless we rode the climb hard, I did it in 14.30, Pete a minute faster. Second fastest up Fitz's on the day was James Brinkhoff, doing the 255, in an incredible 11.34, for 9th on strava.The guy who beat him was doing the 165. So Pete was up the road, I passed a few, Pete passed more out to Rendezvous. At Rendezvous 4 riders had turned and were up the road. Pete had waited, I just filled water and we rode off, 5th and 6th on the road. I checked strava, I was stopped for 80 seconds. It lasted like that for a little while, but on the second hill Pete got away from me, and that was that. 7th, 8th and 9th passed me. I felt the headwind for the first time, and got some cramp in my right thigh going back up the other side of Fitz's.

At the top of Fitz's, the first 165 riders were coming through. There was no one near me. So I had the whole road, and descended alone with about 200 people watching me... or perhaps not watching me but in their own private world. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Back at the bottom it's 3 km to Apollo Rd. An ambulance went the other way. Don't know why, hope whoever it was is OK. I started feeling a bit flat, and once the climb started I struggled... Getting from km 113 to 115 on the garmin took a huge amount of time, and I could feel a cramp in my thigh getting really bad. The slowest 2 km took 11.55... it's a tough climb. No one went passed me, but someone got very close and then disappeared again. It flattens out, and then goes up again for a short while, to the stop. The first riders came through at the flat spot, a guy in white and a guy in green and white, riding together. I reckon the first 6 were descending before I got there. Pete was 5th. Fill the bottle, eat a bar, comfort stop, total 5 minutes stopped, then riding again, 10th on the road.

Apollo Rd is a fun descent. Or it should be, there is one thing you can stuff up, which I managed. It's basically flat for a km or so. Then it starts downhill, and steep, and there's a cattle grid. So you set up for the cattle grid like rail lines, bike nice and straight, no worries. But straight after that there's a right hander. I hadn't set up for the right hander, and as my bike edged slowly to the side, I had visions of a collar bone and an ambulance. Luckily I got enough speed off and finally dragged it around... but FFS! The guy behind me went past. I'm 11th.

Anyway, the road from the bottom of Apollo to Tharwa is generally downhill, for that 10 km I averaged 28, with one minor climb I did at about 14. That section is between 128 and 138 km, which is nothing special in terms of distance. I felt really flat, with no energy at all and wondered how I was ever going to complete the ride. My right leg was really bad, with cramps on every slight rise, and my shoulders, neck and back were all aching. My belly was aching, a sure sign of trouble brewing. I could hardly move. And the wind was a strong headwind, that was really knocking me around. Some Classic/Orange riders were coming through, guys I could easily work with in any normal circumstances, or at least take some shelter. I rode with one guy for a couple of kms, but I just couldn't get going. Feeling extremely flat I finally rolled into Tharwa at 12th on the road. At Tharwa I did the following - ate a cheese sandwich (not the official lunch, one I brought with me). I had two nurofen. They work well. Filled one bottle and put formula in the other, in the hope that a few electrolytes would help. I stretched a bit. My stop at Tharwa was at 138 km, took 6 minutes, and was my 4th and longest stop of the day. No purple (Epic) riders came through.

So back up the road I go, still not feeling great, the nurofen kicked in after 10 minutes and I was OK. But not fast. Orange riders passing me regularly. Some guy rides up next to me. "Josh" Me: blank look. Who is this guy? "Josh, it's Josh right?" Umm.... Stu! Lives near me, and I've ridden with him a few times. He was doing the 105 km ride with a mate (the 105 turns at Tharwa) but they had added a totally optional "side" route to the top of Fitz's. Anyway, we rode together, with another 205 rider, to the Corin Rd turnoff, and I started feeling better. It's great to ride with someone you know, and have a bit of a chat. Even if i'm not that talkative. Anyway, I turned off and went up to Woods Reseve. I saw Pete at the bottom, descending, nearly 30 minutes ahead of me. Based on the two riders behind him, I assumed, I think correctly, he was third. The first half is definitely the easy half of the Corin Forest climb. Did it 2 minutes faster than last year, although last year I still had 5 awful km to go at that point. Stopped for 3 minutes. There were four of us there, 8th to 11th on the road, In that time I filled a bottle, drank some, filled it again, ate 2 orange quarters, 3 bits of cake, stretched, and shoved three jelly snakes in my mouth; 8th to 11th were there, 12 and 13 arrived as I left. Descended quickly, 9th on the road. The two guys who had rolled in as I left Woods Reserve were wearing "Le Spit Cyclery" kit and soon caught me. We worked together and caught the next group, containing about 6 riders doing the 165, and a 205 rider. So the group contained 8th to 11th.

This group worked well, went reasonably hard over the continual climbs and descents back to Mt McDonald. I was climbing well again by this stage and was comfortable, if not fast. The Epic rider who had been in that group disappeared at some stage, leaving the group as me and the two Le Spit riders, plus about 6 Classic riders. I had a gel somewhere here before the two downhills to Cotter and the Brindabella Rd turnoff. The two Le Spit riders and most of the Classic riders stopped at Mt McDonald rest station (leaving me 8th on the road, but it's not a race :D ), I kept going, with a Classic rider to keep me company. He was strong and led up Mt McDonald. Once it flattened out, we worked together to the turn onto Uriarra Rd, but the head/cross wind was strong here. This was one of the sections that I did much faster last year. Anyway, we were caught by the two Le Spit Riders, and picked up some 165 riders and ended up with 5 or 6 of us rolling off turns into Uriarra Crossing.

By this time, apart from my right thigh, I felt fine, and climbed the 3 Sisters well, and found myself alone. One Le Spit rider had been with me, but waited for his mate, who had cramp. At the top of the last sister, there is 10 km to go, so I went into TT mode. It climbs a rolling 120 m in 8 km (with some downhills), before descending for the last 2 km. I went past 7th, and held it to the end. I did the last 10 km at 32 km/h and finished 7th, in 8 hours 5 minutes, 7’49” riding time, completely shot. Anyway, I had 16 minutes of breaks over 5 stops, the longest of which was Tharwa at about 6 minutes. Average HR was 148, but my HRM didn't work for the first hour, for the last 7 hours, it was 152, or 79%. At the end, my right thigh was completely seized up and I couldn't get off my bike for a minute or two.

A great day out, and a day later, I feel fine (my feet and toes are trashed, my back is sore and I'm a bit sunburnt, but my legs are fine).

But the dreadful empty feeling, which started up Apollo, and continued to Tharwa. What was that all about? I said at the start, I worked it out driving home from work today. I'm a bit slow. I am pretty sure it was the gel I had before Fitz's. It worked Ok out to Rendezvous, and part of the way back, but once the sugar hit was gone, I just had nothing. The way I felt, and the error on the Honeysuckle descent, were a sure sign of lacking blood sugar, which is a result of taking too much sugar 90 minutes earlier. The cramp in my right thigh was likely related to a new cleat (which btw eliminated some knee pain I had been feeling). The formula, which has some electrolytes, helped with that, but didn't eliminate it.

Pete finished in third, in 7 hours 37, with an unbelievable 7 minutes of stops, which included waiting a couple of minutes for me at Rendezvous.

rogan

Re: In olde English "Fitz" means...

Postby rogan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:47 pm

It means "illegitimate", which I did mean to say in the original post.

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:08 pm

nice write up Josh. I saw you shoot past the opposite way after Rendezvous and then also on Apollo road. You were looking strong.
I was simply happy to finish but will do some training and give it a good hot go next year :D :D

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 pm

my write up

Start Report
Cold
Ouch
More Ouch
More More Ouch
Finish
icecream :D

End Report :lol: :lol: :lol:

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 am

Mmm ice cream.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:49 am

leximack wrote:my write up

Start Report
Cold
Ouch
More Ouch
More More Ouch
Finish
icecream :D

End Report :lol: :lol: :lol:

tl;dr :P :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:57 am

I went to Canberra with the intention of riding the 200km ride, as last year. However, a late brain explosion saw me entering the 254km ride late on the eve of the ride.

Well, look, I finished the ride inside the cutoff time (just) but I don't recommend this strategy. You (I) should always take a 250km ride with 5,000m+ climbing seriously. And, people, this means having a plan and sorting out your nutrition, mental preparation and so on. I did none of that. And also left any of my usual endurance nutrition / hydration supplements in the cupboard or unordered.

I also had swapped back to standard cranks from the compacts I was riding on in Europe. What could possibly go wrong?

A big contributor to a long ride is your mental state - my late change of mind (and procrastination) meant I didn't go have my head in order. It's the only long ride I've done where I've been thinking of pulling out for most of it.

Powered most of the ride on fruitcake and bananas - also not ideal.

Anyway, I did it. 1kph slower than last year's 200. I've put on 4kgs since last year, so more effort was required to get up those hills.
There were 3 more magpie attacks than last year and most of it by myself until met the person coming 3rd last at Tidbinbilla and we decided to ride together for the last 30 or 40 kms.

Didn't enjoy it much but was elated to finish. Then babbled like an idiot all through dinner.

Massive kudos to everyone who finished way ahead of me including all the blokes from my club Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club who were there in numbers and all beat me home.

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:34 am

leximack wrote:nice write up Josh. I saw you shoot past the opposite way after Rendezvous and then also on Apollo road. You were looking strong.
I was simply happy to finish but will do some training and give it a good hot go next year :D :D
Cheers Don, I'm glad I at least looked strong, in the hurt locker like everyone else... sorry I missed you and Chris, we should have caught up at the finish. Next time!

Saw your report, much more concise! Didn't mean to write 2000 words; it's a bit self indulgent, but I will read that again before 3 Peaks and Fitz's next year, and hopefully the relevant memories come back...

eon

Postby eon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am

WOW - great write up paired with a top effort.

Nice work Josh. :D

def one for me to have a go next year..

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Eleri wrote:I went to Canberra with the intention of riding the 200km ride, as last year. However, a late brain explosion saw me entering the 254km ride late on the eve of the ride.

Well, look, I finished the ride inside the cutoff time (just) but I don't recommend this strategy. You (I) should always take a 250km ride with 5,000m+ climbing seriously. And, people, this means having a plan and sorting out your nutrition, mental preparation and so on. I did none of that. And also left any of my usual endurance nutrition / hydration supplements in the cupboard or unordered.

I also had swapped back to standard cranks from the compacts I was riding on in Europe. What could possibly go wrong?

A big contributor to a long ride is your mental state - my late change of mind (and procrastination) meant I didn't go have my head in order. It's the only long ride I've done where I've been thinking of pulling out for most of it.

Powered most of the ride on fruitcake and bananas - also not ideal.

Anyway, I did it. 1kph slower than last year's 200. I've put on 4kgs since last year, so more effort was required to get up those hills.
There were 3 more magpie attacks than last year and most of it by myself until met the person coming 3rd last at Tidbinbilla and we decided to ride together for the last 30 or 40 kms.

Didn't enjoy it much but was elated to finish. Then babbled like an idiot all through dinner.

Massive kudos to everyone who finished way ahead of me including all the blokes from my club Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club who were there in numbers and all beat me home.
Eleri - that is a fantastic effort - and very brave. The 255 is a very different proposition to the 205. Some of my friends do it, but I can't say I've been tempted yet!

The GayLord

Postby The GayLord » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:41 pm

My write up

1) Had a puncture on the way to the start, just near stromlo entrance.
2) Bloody freezing at the start. Was thinking of riding in my footy jumper until a mate sledged me.
3) Suffer up
4) Fly down
5) sunburn
6) Repeat steps 3-5 until 208km
7) Drive home thinking I’m glad I didn’t do the 255km.

edit - Bloody magpie got me riding up Honeysuckle Creek.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:44 pm

Great post Josh. Well done mate. Particularly for pulling it together and finding your Mojo when it had departed. It would be hard to keep going when you have nothing, but a whole lot of kms and climbs to go.

With the sugar thing.... Would you recommend being more consistent on the intake (every 30-60 minutes) rather than just taking a hit 10 minutes before a hard climbing effort? I have not used Gels much, but I do recall feeling very fatigued and empty on the home leg from the Bobbo Classic, and I took a Gel and 10 minutes later I felt great. I never considered that the high caused by a Gel would be accompanied by a low later if you did not keep up the intake.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:30 pm

vosadrian wrote: With the sugar thing.... Would you recommend being more consistent on the intake (every 30-60 minutes) rather than just taking a hit 10 minutes before a hard climbing effort? I have not used Gels much, but I do recall feeling very fatigued and empty on the home leg from the Bobbo Classic, and I took a Gel and 10 minutes later I felt great. I never considered that the high caused by a Gel would be accompanied by a low later if you did not keep up the intake.
There's gels and gels. You can get some that aren't so quick to spike followed by a low.

I can't do a whole ride on gels, I just use them as a supplement when I'm feeling really crap. Or if racing, before an important climb. Mostly eat real food or if I have my act together on an endurance ride then I'll use something like Hammer Perpeteum in one bidon and hydration in the other. Much more even.

coops

Postby coops » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:09 pm

My 208 looked a little like this...

- Managed to keep up with the lead bunch for the first 30k or so. Was lagging on every climb then got dropped, then a long leg by myself thinking thoughts such as 'road kill stinks', 'this would be very pleasant countryside if I was in a car', 'I suck at riding bikes' etc.
- Fitz Hill was a challenge, but I knew it would be. A rider who flew past me on the climb 'helpfully' pointed out that Honeysuckle was the hard one.
- Martin & Greg caught me up at the rest stop top of Fitz. Rolled on with them for a bit.
- Wasn't prepared for the climb after Fitz to the turn around.
- Back down/up/down to Fitz for Honeysuckle. Knew it was the worst climb. Tried to hold Gregs wheel for a bit. Fail. Sit down pedal -> cramp -> stand up pedal -> cramp (repeat). Must not do walk of shame.
- Don, Greg & Martin still at the rest stop top of Honeysuckle. Awesome cold watermelon provided at the check in. Fly down the hill, turn straight into a headwind towards Tharwa for lunch.
- Post lunch, on through constant undulations. Don't they know how to build flat roads in ACT? Turn off to Corin, undulations get worse then up another hard work but relatively short climb to the check in.
- Back down, only 50ks to go. That's only a bit more than an m7 right? Wrong! Still big climbs out of the causeways.
- Last leg with Martin who had slowed up with cramps.

If I'm insane enough to do this again I'll only take minimum food since there was so much at the rest stops. I ended up carrying half a kilo of bars/gels etc that I didn't eat (yes I had to weigh it after as it looked so ridiculous). Lucky I paid all that money for a light bike. Clothing couldn't have been better, freezing before start but just right once moving. Then removed warmers etc for the hills. Got some helpful hints from the other thread. Weather was great. The bike was flawless, no missed changes or flats.

It was a hard ride. My achievements were that I finished, and while I'm relatively slow on the climbs, I was able to do each of them without stopping for a break or walking. It was great to have Martin, Don & Greg doing the 208 too. While we varied a bit in capability, we were similar enough to be able to chat & commiserate at checkpoints. Extra kudos for Don & Greg who did the ride with very little training. Seriously dudes, I don't know how you do that? And also for Martin who drove Don & I down. He was riding strong but lost his place in the lead group when he stopped to help someone who had crashed.

Good to meet you at dinner Gaylord. Looks like you and Rogan are riding in a whole different league to myself. Very strong results.

Visualisation of my ride here if you've got a WebGL browser (e.g. Chrome/Firefox) http://www.doarama.com/view/2267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Great read guys, and congrats to everyone who completed their ride:) I was crazy enough to take on the 253km this year after failing at the base of the 3 sisters last year on the 205km. It is the hardest ride I have ever done...to those of you that push through with only several minutes breaks, hats off, I don't know how you do it!! I finished with a riding time just on 10 hours, total of almost exactly 12 hours. It was a great event, I was never going to ride again on Sunday night...although that sentiment has now settled!! Oh and whats with a garmin that runs out of batteries 3k from the finish...boooo!!

Cheers,

Phil.

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:39 pm

vosadrian wrote:Great post Josh. Well done mate. Particularly for pulling it together and finding your Mojo when it had departed. It would be hard to keep going when you have nothing, but a whole lot of kms and climbs to go.

With the sugar thing.... Would you recommend being more consistent on the intake (every 30-60 minutes) rather than just taking a hit 10 minutes before a hard climbing effort? I have not used Gels much, but I do recall feeling very fatigued and empty on the home leg from the Bobbo Classic, and I took a Gel and 10 minutes later I felt great. I never considered that the high caused by a Gel would be accompanied by a low later if you did not keep up the intake.
For myself, what I will do is not take gels or sugary snacks until the last 50 km of an event like this, and then once I start on them, take them every 60-90 minutes. For rides 3 hours or less, I still think I can take gels whenever I like with no major ill effects.

In terms of what happens, I'm not a doctor, but when you deplete glycogen on a long ride like this, then add in rich simple sugars in the form of a gel, your body seizes on them, and you get an immediate boost, but you also release insulin, which has the effect of storing the excess sugar, ie. taking out of the bloodstream. After a time, you have less sugar going around than you had before, so you feel pathetically weak. I think it's particularly a problem if you do it at the 4 hour mark, when your body in theory is moving from primarily glycogen to fats for energy source - you interfere with that transition (which if you are well trained you won't even notice). I had thought I had eliminated the 4-hour-lethargy, but more experimenting to do there too (in case it was more than just the gel).

Anyone who knows better should feel free to correct the pseudo-science above.

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:19 pm

coops wrote:My 208 looked a little like this...

- Managed to keep up with the lead bunch for the first 30k or so. Was lagging on every climb then got dropped, then a long leg by myself thinking thoughts such as 'road kill stinks', 'this would be very pleasant countryside if I was in a car', 'I suck at riding bikes' etc.
You have to stay in that front group. It makes the whole day easier, and faster.
coops wrote:- Wasn't prepared for the climb after Fitz to the turn around.
Yep, there's three, the last one just before Rendezvous is the hardest. Going back down most people hit their high speed for the day.
coops wrote:- Back down, only 50ks to go. That's only a bit more than an m7 right? Wrong! Still big climbs out of the causeways.
The climbs never stop. Although Mt McDonald is much easier, much more like a Sydney climb than the rest of the course!

coops wrote:It was a hard ride. My achievements were that I finished, and while I'm relatively slow on the climbs, I was able to do each of them without stopping for a break or walking. It was great to have Martin, Don & Greg doing the 208 too. While we varied a bit in capability, we were similar enough to be able to chat & commiserate at checkpoints. Extra kudos for Don & Greg who did the ride with very little training. Seriously dudes, I don't know how you do that? And also for Martin who drove Don & I down. He was riding strong but lost his place in the lead group when he stopped to help someone who had crashed.
The guy at Tharwa who crashed in the gravel?
coops wrote:Good to meet you at dinner Gaylord. Looks like you and Rogan are riding in a whole different league to myself. Very strong results.
Thanks, but you're better than you think, and like everything in cycling, if you train properly for this sort of thing, you get much better at it.
coops wrote:Visualisation of my ride here if you've got a WebGL browser (e.g. Chrome/Firefox) http://www.doarama.com/view/2267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Worth a look for anyone who did the ride!

joomz

Postby joomz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 am

Good to meet you out there Josh. Great report, and result! One of those rides where you have to keep battling the body, pushing it on to the finish. Man, it's good to finish though.

coops

Postby coops » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:17 am

rogan wrote:The guy at Tharwa who crashed in the gravel?
Thanks Rogan. Yes, I believe so. He stopped and helped him get back to first aid.