Gosford to Newcastle Challenge.

Gosford to Newcastle Challenge.

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Is anyone thinking of doing this?
I am, but have a few questions for you knowledgable bunch.

Firstly I have been commuting for years (about 20km each way for the last few years), have ridden almost 3,500km this year. I have recently added a long commute once a week, that is 52km into work. 2 Sundays ago I rode to RNP, was going to go all the way to Thirroul, about 70kms (but roads were closed at Garie Rd, so I turned & went back, so did 65kms). So 65kms is the most I have ridden at one time.
This Sunday I plan on riding to Thirroul, then catching the train to Sutherland, then riding home. Should total about 85km as a guess. My question being how do I know if I can or am ready to ride 160km, or is it just a matter of slowly riding further & further & then just give it a crack?

I guess my second question is do you think it'll be well organised etc... You probably all know this started as Sydney to Newcastle, but having never ridden any of these events before I am interested in peoples thoughts.

Cheers
JJ
Focus Cayo 2.0 (2011) | Trek 7.5Fx (2007)
JohnJoyner

by BNA » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm

BNA

Re: Gosford to Newcastle Challenge.

Postby timbo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm

If you are going to Thirroul, and the ride ends up OK, try continuing all the way to Wollongong next time. Its been ages since I've done it, but there is a cycleway along by the coast for most of the extra distance.
You are cycling enough to have your backside conditioned to the seat, and your legs conditioned to pedalling (two of the major complaints by people who do too much too soon), so you shouldn't have any trouble completing the distance. Just don't forget to include a longer ride occassionally.
timbo

Re: Gosford to Newcastle Challenge.

Postby JohnJoyner » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Cheers Timbo. I am looking forward to riding on that road that juts out over the ocean...

By the way, entries have been put on hold as they seem to think there'll be a cap on the numbers. So I may not get to do it anyhow.
Focus Cayo 2.0 (2011) | Trek 7.5Fx (2007)
JohnJoyner

Return to New South Wales