Christmas near Port Macquarie - mtb or roadie

Christmas near Port Macquarie - mtb or roadie

Postby grw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Hello everyone. I'm going to be spending two weeks at Christmas / New Year in the Port Macquarie / Wauchope area. To ease the pain I'm taking a bike, only not sure which one. What is the area like for mtb rides versus road rides? I probably won't be getting out every day but hopefully every other day. Therefore are there enough mtb rides in the area for it to stay interesting for 6/7 days? Likewise for road rides? On the road looking for rides around 80-150km and would like a bit of climbing to keep the Christmas pudding damage to a minimum...
Thanks for any advice
grw
grw

by BNA » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:25 pm

BNA

Re: Christmas near Port Macquarie - mtb or roadie

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Howdy, I spend a week in Port most years. Telegraph point is a nice bit of single track, but it is only about 32 km so would struggle to keep you interested for one day, not 6/7 days. There is also the Port Macquarie Urban MTB park. I have yet to go there, but I understand it Is fun -again not going to keep you entertained for 5 hours or so.

I can't tell you much about hills, cause I tend to either ride on the north shore which is flat or south along ocean drive which is undulating. Most of the roads follow the river valleys so again not much elevation until you get about 80km west of Port. It is possible to get some decent elevation but you have to work at it

A good way to see what is happening is to explore on Strava
find_bruce

Postby Dazz » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:52 pm

If you followed ocean drive out to North Haven/Laurieton you could climb north brother. Have driven up there and seen a few people riding down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dazz

Postby grw » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:35 am

Hi,thanks for the info. still a bit undecided but looks like it will be the roadie as that will let me do more rides from the door without having to rely on lifts for MTB days...
Thanks again,
grw
grw

Return to New South Wales