Centennial Park access, no one wants to pay

Centennial Park access, no one wants to pay

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 am

Plan to introduce park access fee for cars.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/centennial-pa ... .html#poll
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

by BNA » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:47 am

BNA

Re: Centennial Park access, no one wants to pay

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:47 am

I have noticed the increase in commuter parking. Strange how National Parks can charge for car access and there is little complaint but look at the response when CP suggests a small parking fee. Everyone thinks their taxes/rates pays for everything. :roll:
biker jk

Postby george-bob » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:50 am

I wholeheartedly support a fee for entering, something like $2 to cross the gates will stop all the commuters going through in the mornings. Seems like a great idea to raise revenue.
george-bob

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:06 am

The amount of through traffic is trivial compared with the number of legitimate park users. I get the impression that the fees are more aimed to raise general revenue than to stop through traffic. I regularly ride the park on weekday mornings and occasionally at other times of the day. I have to say, I haven't noticed any notable through traffic along the main loop. When it comes to a city centre parks, I disagree with an access fee, which will just bump all the cars into surrounding residential streets. It's a smoke screen, another example of the state government dropping their financial responsibilities!
sogood

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:05 pm

sogood wrote:The amount of through traffic is trivial compared with the number of legitimate park users. I get the impression that the fees are more aimed to raise general revenue than to stop through traffic. I regularly ride the park on weekday mornings and occasionally at other times of the day. I have to say, I haven't noticed any notable through traffic along the main loop. When it comes to a city centre parks, I disagree with an access fee, which will just bump all the cars into surrounding residential streets. It's a smoke screen, another example of the state government dropping their financial responsibilities!

Why do you believe parking should be free? It's a cost of owning a car. I have to pay an annual fee to park on the street, which is fair enough since it's public space.
biker jk

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Given the location of this unique public park, it's only legitimate and proper for it to be freely and easily accessible by all from near and far. Otherwise, one can follow the path of some countries, charge by usage ie. Per person. So bring your change when riding in. Fact is, this is just a smoke screen to generate revenue.
sogood

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:28 pm

sogood wrote:Given the location of this unique public park, it's only legitimate and proper for it to be freely and easily accessible by all from near and far. Otherwise, one can follow the path of some countries, charge by usage ie. Per person. So bring your change when riding in. Fact is, this is just a smoke screen to generate revenue.

There's a train station at Bondi Jn and regular bus services. You don't need to drive but if you choose to then paying a parking fee sounds fair. I grew up in the inner west and we regularly travelled to Balmoral beach with picnic basket, towels, etc.
biker jk

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:32 pm

We all know know how poor Sydney public transport is compared with London, Paris, NYC and many Asian cities. Making that kind of statement is akin to those who ask why don't the poor eat lobsters? Just catch them in the sea!
sogood

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:13 am

Suttons courtesy bus using CP as short cut this morning.
biker jk

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:54 pm

biker jk wrote:Suttons courtesy bus using CP as short cut this morning.

n=1. Hardly a basis to introduce a park wide fee and punish all legitimate users.
sogood

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:20 pm

sogood wrote:
biker jk wrote:Suttons courtesy bus using CP as short cut this morning.

n=1. Hardly a basis to introduce a park wide fee and punish all legitimate users.

20% of cars entering the park in the morning and afternoon peak periods were taking short cuts. There's also the people who use CP as a work car park. Sounds like a pretty legitimate reason to introduce an entry fee for cars.
biker jk

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 pm

biker jk wrote:20% of cars entering the park in the morning and afternoon peak periods were taking short cuts. There's also the people who use CP as a work car park. Sounds like a pretty legitimate reason to introduce an entry fee for cars.

Wonder how they calculated that? Entry at 6:30, 30mins jog, exit 7:00 through another gate. Plenty of people do similar.

Fact is, being a regular user of the park, there's no evidence there's sufficient traffic flow during morning peak hours that adversely affected park traffic flow or legitimate park users.

Yes, for the 20%, smack the other 80%... Illogical. Come back when it's 50% or if there's appreciable adverse effects on legitimate park users.
sogood

Return to New South Wales