M7 - Richmond?

M7 - Richmond?

Postby ab012 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi everyone

Last weekend was planning to head towards Richmond via Richmond road to checkout the rides in the area.. however once I got off the M7 (heading in from near SOP) I noticed all the roadworks and had to turn back. . :cry:

Hence - given the current Richmond Road upgrades http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roadprojects/projects/sydney_region/western_sydney/richmond_road/ - is there a nice route to go from the M7 to Richmond?

thanks in advance...
ab012

by BNA » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:46 pm

BNA

Re: M7 - Richmond?

Postby TimW » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Yes there is, a bike path that runs west from the end of the M7 at Bella Vista, to Windsor, from there on you can go via the back way, turf farms to Richmond (minimal traffic), or ride in a nice reasonably safe breakdown lane across the Hawkesbury Bridge and on to Richmond. Tim

edit, if you prefer riding on the road, then the breakdown lane runs virtually the entire way, but there are some sections where i feel safer hoping onto the path, ie near the ettamogah Pub to the lawn cemetary, then get back to the breakdown lane.
TimW

Postby ab012 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi Tim

Thanks for that recommendation! I had wondered where that path leads to - now I know :oops: Normally I just turn down toward Parra to head home from Bella Vista :oops:
ab012

Postby porkpie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:47 am

Lots of options out to richmond that are better and safer than Richmond road.

The bike path or brakedown lane down Windsor Rd is fast and flat but there are lots of lights and intersections. I prefer to head up Windsor Rd to Annangrove Rd (Bunnings on the corner) down Annangrove Rd then left into Edwards Rd and then right up Old pitt Town Rd Rd (short hill). Then a good run along the ridge. From there you can take Hankel, Oakville and Worseley Rd to Windsor or continue to Saunders Rd and down through the turf farms of Pitt Town Bottoms.

A quicker way a not to bad would be to exit the M7 at Quakers Hill and make your way up Hambleton Rd left on to Burdekin Rd and then follow the railway line to Mulgrave (there are better routes through Riverstone that avoid the railway line using McCulloch and Hamilton St but the railway route is easier to follow). From there get on make your way to Richmond via Windsor (past the airbase) or head through the turf farms on Freemans Reach rd, Hibberts ln and Terrace Rd to North Richmond.

I guess it depends on what you want to see and ride at Richmond. There are some huge steep hills there (check out Bowen Mountain, Bells Line of Rd and Warks Hill rd on Strava). I like the variety out there from dead flat turf farms (Freemans Reach and Pitt-Town Bottoms), undulating rural areas (the Slopes and Oakville areas), the big steep hills mentioned before and the bush if you head to Lower Portland and Sackville.

Good luck.
porkpie

Return to New South Wales