Hergest

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby Hergest » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:09 am

Hazard alongside the path. :roll:

13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:51 pm

So you did find where all that smoke was coming from... it was quite a sight when I reached the top of Reconciliation rd this morning.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:59 am

There's a car been dumped at the Chandos Road end of the Prospect Dam path about 20 metres down from the road on the cycle path.

Also if you ride out along the Horsley Drive at Bossley Park which was the Prospect Dam detour it looks like a car has left the road and gone into the trees and bushes on the side of the road. The car has been dragged out and taken away but as that has been done it has dragged trees and dirt all over the path blocking it which of course remain:roll:

/rant. Growing up in England tow truck drivers had to carry brooms and clean up every scrap of detritus after a road crash or they lost the contract to pick up smashed cars. Here in Sydney after an accident all the glass and crap is left to be swept into the gutter by passing cars and what can't fit on the tow truck is just left behind. I've lost count of the amount of Commodore bumpers i've seen that are just thrown onto the pavement after a smash because the tow truck driver can't be arsed putting it on his truck or hasn't got a few metres of rope to tie it down/rant over

isabella24

Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby isabella24 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:45 pm

Yep, the car was there today, up on bricks. Looks like it was taken for its wheels as they left the rest. Didn't even bother to set it alight....
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:59 pm

The canal where it goes under Woodpark Road living up to its name.

All the drains were backed up due to the storm, hopefully it should all drain away by the morning.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:30 pm

Geeezus, I only rode through that this morning!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:14 am

isabella24 wrote:Yep, the car was there today, up on bricks. Looks like it was taken for its wheels as they left the rest. Didn't even bother to set it alight....
That damn car is still there! :roll:

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:01 pm

Hergest wrote:There's a car been dumped at the Chandos Road end of the Prospect Dam path about 20 metres down from the road on the cycle path.

Also if you ride out along the Horsley Drive at Bossley Park which was the Prospect Dam detour it looks like a car has left the road and gone into the trees and bushes on the side of the road. The car has been dragged out and taken away but as that has been done it has dragged trees and dirt all over the path blocking it which of course remain:roll:

/rant. Growing up in England tow truck drivers had to carry brooms and clean up every scrap of detritus after a road crash or they lost the contract to pick up smashed cars. Here in Sydney after an accident all the glass and crap is left to be swept into the gutter by passing cars and what can't fit on the tow truck is just left behind. I've lost count of the amount of Commodore bumpers i've seen that are just thrown onto the pavement after a smash because the tow truck driver can't be arsed putting it on his truck or hasn't got a few metres of rope to tie it down/rant over

It's an offence in NSW to "Not clean/remove debris from accident scene" = $250 fine.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 09, 2015 12:27 pm

The car is still there, and there was a kangaroo on the uphill section at Prospect Dam, poor thing was absolutely terrified. :(

One guy tried to guide it further up the hill and got too close, and it attacked him. :roll: I told him plenty of times to stay away from it. :roll:

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat May 09, 2015 2:34 pm

g-boaf wrote:The car is still there, and there was a kangaroo on the uphill section at Prospect Dam, poor thing was absolutely terrified. :(

One guy tried to guide it further up the hill and got too close, and it attacked him. :roll: I told him plenty of times to stay away from it. :roll:
For the first couple of weeks after the dam was reopened there would be a kangaroo every weekend morning on the approach from Reconciliation Road to the dam and he would hop along towards the dam and disappear through a hole cut in the fence just before the sharp left hander that takes you into the picnic area. The hole has been patched up so the wildlife can't get on to the path at that point now.

Talking of which, has anybody seen anything of the huge herd of goats that used to hang around that end of the path? I haven't seen them for ages and remember when they had been grazing along the path and all their muck looked like a truck load of Maltesers had been spilled.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 09, 2015 2:43 pm

Haven't seen the goats for a while. Don't miss the smell after they'd been grazing. They were pretty docile things, not scared of people at all.

I don't know if they were wild goats or managed to escape from someones property. I think there were some that managed to escape their paddock a few times. I've seen those ones a couple of times, and even stopped with them while the council came out (to get the owner to get them back again).

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:16 pm

The car is gone :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:58 pm

Hergest wrote:The car is gone :D
Praise the Lord! I was beginning to think we might need to all get there with our trolley jacks and move it to one side ourselves.

unbent

Postby unbent » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Hergest wrote:The car is gone :D
It was becoming a landmark but yay!

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:19 am

If you ride on the Gipps Road playing fields path just a few hundred metres down the hill from the canal then watch out for half a dozen sheep which have taken up residence by that hump backed timber bridge adjacent to the Fairfield Council compound. The path is littered with dung and the wooly ovines tend to stand in the middle of the path until the last minute when they scatter in all directions.

They look really healthy and not feral but heaven knows where they have wandered in from.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:11 pm

No wooly creatures spotted today, but the gates to the dam were closed at 8:00am, maybe I was too early through there. I ended up taking the scenic route along Reservoir Road, Peter Brock Drive and all those roads.

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Hergest wrote: Half a dozen sheep which have taken up residence,
They look really healthy and not feral but heaven knows where they have wandered in from.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:35 pm

Lots of black snakes lying in the sun on the path around the back of WSRP this arvo. I went around a couple but one big bugger was stretched the full width of the 2 metre or more shared path so I had to keep my distance until he realised I was there and he slunk off into the grass.

A big billy goat standing in the middle of the T-Way as it goes down the hill to Davis Road around Wetherill Park. A bus came up behind it honking his horn but the goat stood his ground at first until the bus went to push the silly sod out of the way.

Wildlife in the suburbs eh?

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:04 am

Not a hazard but two possible new paths within Western Sydney Parklands :D

1. Running from the entrance to Calmsley Hill City Farm, southwards to Plough & Harrow Park east.
2. Running from Plough & Harrow Park west, westwards to where the M7 Cycleway crosses Elizabeth Drive

WSP has a survey about their proposal here - http://ow.ly/Pj9KS

Map is here Image -

Ken Oath

Postby Ken Oath » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Well done Steve that's great news, good to see the trails link up to M7. I've just dusted off my bike so just the motivation I needed.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Awesome!!!!!! I work where Liz drive crosses the M7! Bring on the commute!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:31 pm

Superb! That will make a very pleasant ride to the M7, and off road too, all the way off road from Merrylands/Granville area.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:45 pm

Ummmm. .... weirdo on the Canal. The NSW Police Facebook page has a pic of someone how may be able to assist and the BSO
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/lates ... w9MQ%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Photo of suspect and his bike in story below.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-10/p ... og/6686182