Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

g-boaf

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks for the warning. I'll carry the bike through there.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:07 pm

Hergest wrote:The tunnel under Sherwood Road at Guildford West/Merrylands West is in a dreadful condition today. It's often got some broken glass but it looks like a mob have had a bottle smashing party, big chunks of glass too as if the bottles have been perfume and aftershave. Lots of other rubbish there too. I've rang the council so hopefully they send someone out there with some brooms but for the moment you are far better off walking the bike through there.
That's a tough one. While the risk of a puncture is higher the tunnel will smell much better. :lol:

trek52

Postby trek52 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Anyone know when this reopens Again

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:04 pm

trek52 wrote:Anyone know when this reopens Again
I assume you mean the Prospect Dam path? I rode up to the gate last week as the concrete jersey curb had been removed so i thought it might have been re-opened with no fanfare. Alas the gate was still shut and there was no indication of anything happening. Nothing on the SCA website either. It was supposed to be closed for the year which should mean just a week or so to go but who knows.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:45 pm

The dam is still closed. I thought I'd take a shortcut through there today on my way back home and rode down the hill only to see the gate locked. :(

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:13 pm

g-boaf wrote:The dam is still closed. I thought I'd take a shortcut through there today on my way back home and rode down the hill only to see the gate locked. :(
We were discussing this yesterday during a tea break, Claire had emailed the catchment people and they said it was going to be re-opened this month but didn't give a date so hopefully sooner than later.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:18 am

lol I did the same (checked it out with fingers crossed) on sunday as well.

On the website the update is completed on schedule by the Sydney Catchment Authority.

http://www.sca.nsw.gov.au/water/supply/ ... ospect-dam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HOWEVER, note the following sentence:
Access to the recreational areas owned by Sydney Water, including the cycleway, will be open to the public as soon as possible once safety improvements have been made. For more information about the picnic grounds and cycleway contact Sydney Water.
o dear....

(ps saw a really nice Cervelo TT bike at parra park - perhaps thats g-boaf ? ;) )

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:03 pm

ab012 wrote:lol I did the same (checked it out with fingers crossed) on sunday as well.

On the website the update is completed on schedule by the Sydney Catchment Authority.

http://www.sca.nsw.gov.au/water/supply/ ... ospect-dam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Access to the recreational areas owned by Sydney Water, including the cycleway, will be open to the public as soon as possible once safety improvements have been made. For more information about the picnic grounds and cycleway contact Sydney Water.
o dear....

(ps saw a really nice Cervelo TT bike at parra park - perhaps thats g-boaf ? ;) )
Not me. Mine hasn't seen Parra park. :) It has been at Prestons a couple of times, other than that I've had a few injury woes so I've just been doing short 50km rides at very early times of the morning. Today at least I did manage a proper 100+km ride.

There is one other Cervelo P5 I know of in the area, and I've met the lady who rides it. Hers is a 51cm frame I believe. It looks similar to mine, but the frame is smaller, cranks are different and she's also got Di2 climbing buttons stealthed away under the bar tape near the brake levers. (a custom modification).

The other one I know of is from the owner of a North-Western Sydney bike shop.

This is mine:

I don't have the aero spacers under the 3T Aduro bars, and I've got a 53-39 172.5mm SRAM S900 crank which is not really what it should have - but that was the last part holding everything up, so I found that at a Burwood bike shop and it works, so the bike becomes complete and operational. :)

I've got some Triathlon style bottle cages on the back of it, but it will get Arundel Chrono.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zozza

Postby zozza » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Today at least I did manage a proper 100+km ride.

:P

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:52 pm

Strava writing. :) We'll catch up soon enough.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Hergest wrote: We were discussing this yesterday during a tea break, Claire had emailed the catchment people and they said it was going to be re-opened this month but didn't give a date so hopefully sooner than later.
Yes, I did email Sydney Water and I got the following reply:
Sydney Water wrote:

Dear Claire,

Thank you for your email.

Sydney Water is looking to open the public picnic area in the New Year, after a management agreement addressing safety issues is in place. In the interim, a solution is being reviewed to provide access to the cycleway. All access is pending a safety review at this stage.

I hope this is helpful. Please contact us if you have any further enquiries.

Kind regards,
Kat
Sydney Water
Customer Interaction
Doesn't say much I know...
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm from Sydney's north so don't know the Prospect Dam site very well. I do sometimes ride down the M7 and back again. Does the Prospect Dam site link up with the M7 at all? Was thinking it'd be a nice ride to come down the M7 and do a loop of Prospect Dam and then head home. Would this be feasible?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:55 am

Connects to Horsely Dr path a few hundred meters from the M7 path.

If you enter the Dam from that side, you can exit on the Rail Trail at Guildford where you can head up towards Parramatta then up north via Old Windsor.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

ab012

Postby ab012 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:11 am

g-boaf wrote:
ab012 wrote: (ps saw a really nice Cervelo TT bike at parra park - perhaps thats g-boaf ? ;) )
Not me. Mine hasn't seen Parra park. :) It has been at Prestons a couple of times, other than that I've had a few injury woes so I've just been doing short 50km rides at very early times of the morning. Today at least I did manage a proper 100+km ride.

There is one other Cervelo P5 I know of in the area, and I've met the lady who rides it. Hers is a 51cm frame I believe. It looks similar to mine, but the frame is smaller, cranks are different and she's also got Di2 climbing buttons stealthed away under the bar tape near the brake levers. (a custom modification).
Very nice ;) I remember seeing the pic in another thread so when I saw something like it going pass (I was looking out from the cafe) I thought it might have been you - I didnt take notice of the gender of the rider cause it was just a blur (and the bike drew the attention ;) )

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:18 pm

Though the dam was open because when I was riding up Reconciliation Dr yesterday the barriers weren't there, however it is still closed.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:51 pm

tez001 wrote:Though the dam was open because when I was riding up Reconciliation Dr yesterday the barriers weren't there, however it is still closed.

I did the same last month and ended up stuck in the thick mud that was all over the path.

ed933

Postby ed933 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:46 pm

Anyone know if the bike path and park are open yet? Contemplating visiting it if it is open this weekend. ;D

edit: Prospect Nature Reserve

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:01 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 7245834867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:08 pm

Finally. No longer convoluted diversions to get to the M7. Or more likely, just do repeats of the hill. :)

ab012

Postby ab012 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:40 pm

woohoo!

I went to the gate last sat and was puzzled by a sign that says the cycleway was open (but the gate was locked!) so this is why.

Finally!

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:54 am

Woohoo x 2.

Finally can hook up the M7 to the canal again without the (AT)&!? detours. Hope it stays opened now
[emoji1]

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:32 am

Nice one. Looking forward to going through it

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:30 pm

MoeJoe wrote:Woohoo x 2.

Finally can hook up the M7 to the canal again without the (AT)&!? detours. Hope it stays opened now
[emoji1]
Getting to the M7 is now really quick. :) Much, much better. If they'd resurface Chandos Road (or even put a bike path along side it) the whole journey would be perfect. I will never, ever again be riding along the T-way bike path for as long as I can avoid it. The meandering pedestrians, smashed glass and other hazards drove me mad. Not to mention the many traffic lights slowing things down.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:34 pm

A good Chandos Road would make things perfect. There's plenty of room there to put a path alongside.

ed933

Postby ed933 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks for the heads up guys, had a visit on Saturday! Path was good, interesting scenery (shame you can't see much of the reservoir though), not too crowded. Relatively quick to get to the western sydney parklands from Parramatta.