Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

g-boaf

Re: Greystanes canal / western sydney regional park hazards

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Hergest wrote:We were stopped by someone doing a survey there last year. They wanted to know how often we used that path, how often we had to stop for a train etc. I thought something must have been planned, be interesting to see if there's any changes, it's only a little crossing after all and trains are rather infrequent. Mind you, it's a bit intimidating when a train goes through even though it's dead slow as you are right up close to it so maybe some gates will go in.
It's more annoying when the trip train (it goes from there to Port Botany I think) is coming past you down headed south, and you hope that it might have to stop... It's quite long and takes forever to get through. I've been caught by it once, but it has also been stopped once too (I got through ahead of it).

In any case, safety first. Those things are thousands of tonnes.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 pm

g-boaf wrote:
find_bruce wrote:This one or somewhere else ?
Yes, the one marked in blue on that map.
.....& hopefully the cyclepath at that rail crossing will be relaid to a much smoother surface, it's bloody horrible in the RV or on the trike....
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Prospect Dam was closed this morning - the sign warned of wild dogs in the area.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:32 am

g-boaf wrote:Prospect Dam was closed this morning - the sign warned of wild dogs in the area.
Closed this morning as well.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Dam was open this morning so either the dogs have been got rid of or disappeared.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:04 am

Parramatta - Liverpool path between Yennora station and Military rd closed until the end of the month. Just requires a small detour around that section.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:11 am

The cycleway railway crossing approaching Yennora is now open. It's been done neatly but there is quite a tight dogleg been put in on either side of the crossing with weldmesh panels. Fine for bikes but will be tight for recumbents. Velomobiles will be a struggle to get round.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Hergest wrote:The cycleway railway crossing approaching Yennora is now open. It's been done neatly but there is quite a tight dogleg been put in on either side of the crossing with weldmesh panels. Fine for bikes but will be tight for recumbents. Velomobiles will be a struggle to get round.
Do I start swearing now...or wait 'til I actually try & get the Jellybean thru there :?

..............where's that battery powered grinder gone??
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:57 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Do I start swearing now...or wait 'til I actually try & get the Jellybean thru there :?

I went through this arvo and there's some nice new signs-Cyclists Dismount. Make sure you dismount the jellybean. Mind you, I didn't look too closely but weldmesh if only fixed as it often is with U clips and tex screws can easily be made to fall off the posts if it's run into often enough. Just sayin' :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Up at Prospect Dam at the section of path between Reconciliation Road and the picnic area car park, spotted a pretty large and aggressive snake on Sunday morning. I think it was a black snake from the quick look at it that I got.

Kangaroos also on the hill, but nothing unusual about that.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Hergest wrote:
recumbenteer wrote:

I went through this arvo and there's some nice new signs-Cyclists Dismount. Make sure you dismount the jellybean. Mind you, I didn't look too closely but weldmesh if only fixed as it often is with U clips and tex screws can easily be made to fall off the posts if it's run into often enough. Just sayin' :wink:
It’ll require a grinder to “cut n remove” :wink: the screws & weldmesh....’n I couldn’t be stuffed “dismounting”....so it’s the road for me henceforth :wink: :roll:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 am

Noticed the closed off section of the M4 cyclepath near Harris Park has been re opened. I joined on it just there, so I'm not 100% certain that it's all open till Granville.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:33 pm

tez001 wrote:Noticed the closed off section of the M4 cyclepath near Harris Park has been re opened. I joined on it just there, so I'm not 100% certain that it's all open till Granville.
It was only opened for the Spring Cycle.... closed again later that same afternoon :cry:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Canal cycleway just east of the aquaduct, spotted a brown snake. It looked around at me as I went past it but stayed put.

Seems like they are out and about now.

Also watch for the pathway that has buckled upwards in a few places.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 am

Take care around Prospect Dam - some idiot has been shooting kangaroos. :evil:

Two dead ones today, one up near the right hand uphill corner before you reach Chandos Road (bullet through the head), another one just down from the picnic area car park. It had a live joey - which was still alive and by now should be at a local vet. Hopefully the little guy will survive.

I'm pretty sure the one near the car park wasn't there when I rode through shortly after 7am. :( Bloody disgraceful.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Noticed the one up near Chandos st this morning, didn't really have a good look but that's terrible if people are shooting at them. I didn't see any in the carpark area though

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:32 pm

tez001 wrote:Noticed the one up near Chandos st this morning, didn't really have a good look but that's terrible if people are shooting at them. I didn't see any in the carpark area though
Go down the cycleway, past the car park, turn right at the end (where the bollards and speed bump is) then it was right near the fence on the next downhill section to the left. The surviving poor little joey (and I hope it continues to survive) looked bloody terrified.

I didn't notice it on my way through this morning so I can only guess it happened sometime after 7am. The one up near the top was dead when I came through, and looked like it'd been done fairly recently.

syu

Postby syu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:19 pm

g-boaf wrote:Take care around Prospect Dam - some idiot has been shooting kangaroos. :evil:
I hope the Police were notified/are investigating.

I'm not familiar with the area but I have three concerns:

1. The obvious, some psychopath is killing animals. Not exactly on a farm for pest control.
2. It's not exactly a built up area but that's got to be unlawful discharging a firearm.
3. What if he missed :shock: Stray bullets flying who knows where?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:01 pm

syu wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Take care around Prospect Dam - some idiot has been shooting kangaroos. :evil:
I hope the Police were notified/are investigating.

I'm not familiar with the area but I have three concerns:

1. The obvious, some psychopath is killing animals. Not exactly on a farm for pest control.
2. It's not exactly a built up area but that's got to be unlawful discharging a firearm.
3. What if he missed :shock: Stray bullets flying who knows where?
I did a bit of research in regards to stray bullets from a shooting range, related to a closure of a cycling/walking track and even when the bullets have slowed to terminal velocity, there's a risk of killing you. You can fire a bullet vertically in the air and when it comes down it can kill you. Of course the slower the bullet is traveling the less risk of death.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:46 am

Between Yennora train station and the railway crossing at Pine Road 2 of the concrete slabs on the path have risen in the heat forming a ramp. The ramp is close to a metre in height and is navigable in an interesting way for a bicycle but is going to be a real problem to anyone in a jellybean or similar.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Lots of raised sections of path in the recent heat, maybe half a dozen between Guildford West and Reconciliation Road. One particularly bad one that hasn't happened before is after the turn off for Holroyd High heading west where a large area has lifted around a manhole so where the manhole was slightly raised above the path before it is now in a hole in the centre of the path. All the lifted areas can be ridden over safely in daylight but be very, very careful if you're out in the dark at the moment.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Hergest wrote:Lots of raised sections of path in the recent heat, maybe half a dozen between Guildford West and Reconciliation Road. One particularly bad one that hasn't happened before is after the turn off for Holroyd High heading west where a large area has lifted around a manhole so where the manhole was slightly raised above the path before it is now in a hole in the centre of the path. All the lifted areas can be ridden over safely in daylight but be very, very careful if you're out in the dark at the moment.
Haven't noticed that one yet, but thanks for the warning. There is another one a bit further along (~500m west) that is also raising and the manhole cover is dropped in a lot.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Hergest wrote:Between Yennora train station and the railway crossing at Pine Road 2 of the concrete slabs on the path have risen in the heat forming a ramp. The ramp is close to a metre in height and is navigable in an interesting way for a bicycle but is going to be a real problem to anyone in a jellybean or similar.

I noticed whilst out on today's jaunt, that this has been repaired....
levelled out somewhat....
and is no longer a "jellybean launching ramp". 8)
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:15 am

Watch out around Prospect Dam, the kangaroos there are becoming a bit of a nuisance. They are very unpredictable and in the afternoon with the sun glare in your eyes it can be hard to see them when they are behind low trees.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 am

g-boaf wrote:Watch out around Prospect Dam, the kangaroos there are becoming a bit of a nuisance. They are very unpredictable and in the afternoon with the sun glare in your eyes it can be hard to see them when they are behind low trees.
There was a ginormous one at the top of the dam yesterday. With the way his arms were hanging and his profile he looked like a younger Arnold Schwarzenegger. Fine looking animal but I wouldn't have wanted to challenge him to a fight.