Myall Lakes to Newcastle route options

Myall Lakes to Newcastle route options

Postby Le Mong » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Evening,

After Myall Lakes to Newcastle route options for a ride back on the 2nd of Jan.

This is where I'm thinking, should take 5-6h tops this way.

Aaron.
Le Mong

by BNA » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:23 pm

BNA

Re: Myall Lakes to Newcastle route options

Postby grantw » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Booral Rd and then Bucketts way then Pacific Hwy?

Consider taking Mungo Brush road to Tea Gardens, jump a ferry across Port Stephens and head to Newcastle on the Nelson Bay road. It's a lot nicer and likely quicker depending on the ferry times. But rides are always nicer with a ferry.

Ferry timetable here
grantw

Postby Le Mong » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:46 pm

That was my other option, time limit is not an issue :)

Will look into the ferry option tho :)

Haven't traveled up that way in a long time so am unsure of the road conditions etc.
Le Mong

Postby grantw » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Go the road less travelled :-)
grantw

Postby bychosis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:06 am

If you haven't been on Booral Rd and Buckets way be aware that they are both fairly narrow, Booral very narrow and windy. I have only driven it, not ridden but wouldn't be comfortable riding Booral Rd. One time I drove it the Pacific Hwy traffic had been diverted onto it and passing oncoming caravans meant dropping a wheel off the edge in the car. Other than vehicles though it would make a nice ride. There was ( a few years ago now) no mobile service for much of it too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:57 am

Thursday 2nd January, traffic is going to be fairly heavy on the pacific highway but not stationary. My guess is that it will be something like when I drove down yesterday - heavy but moving at 110 km/h. Perversely on busier days the pacific highway is a safe option, if you enjoy riding past km of slowly moving cars :twisted: eg boxing day saw cars taking 75 minutes to cover just 23 km. The Bulahdelah bypass has removed one of the bottlenecks, but Hexham will be heavy as usual.

Like bychosis I haven't ridden Booral Rd or Buckets Way, but have driven both plenty of times. Outside of the holiday season traffic is rare & the roads go through some beautiful country. In holiday traffic I would be less keen.

Personally I would be taking Grant's suggested route, it also allows you to go via Kooragang Island & avoid the Pacific Highway at Hexham, but ymmv.
find_bruce

Postby Le Mong » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:43 am

I did think about just charging down the karuah to bulladelah bypass lol
Le Mong

Postby nomadicsoul » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:57 pm

The Mungo Brush route is awesome - not many cars, reasonably flat and if the wind is in your favour it's a fast ride. 2nd for the ferry/Nelson Bay route option!
nomadicsoul

Postby speedywheels » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:27 am

Mungo Brush Road has very recently been reduced from 100K limit to 80K limit which is a good thing. Lots of 4 wheel drives towing boats and trailers during January. Extra ferries from Tea Gardens run in the school holidays.

I have peddled between Booral and Karuah a few times via Booral Road, The Branch Lane and Taurian Road and enjoyed it. The Branch Lane is dirt and a rougher than the dirt road between the Lakes and Bulladelah. I think if I were to cycle the Boral Road out of Bulladelah I would be prepared to walk 4 or 5 K of the steep winding part.
speedywheels

Return to New South Wales