2014 Ride 2 Riverstone Charity Cycling Event

Re: 2014 Ride 2 Riverstone Charity Cycling Event

Postby RobK » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:19 am

- For any interested in car-pooling to get to the ride, I've started a discussion on sydneycyclist - See http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topics/car-pooling-for-ride-2-rivo-on-may-4th.
- Also, early-bird entry discounts end on Easter Sunday.
- We're still after volunteers, particularly 'signage crew' vols to put out signs the day before the ride. Signage Crew vols get free entry to the ride on the Sunday. Please Register and select 'Volunteer' and 'Signage Crew' when prompted if interested.
RobK

by BNA » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:02 pm

BNA

Postby leximack » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:02 pm

getting close now, hope the weather is good. Dont want to ride in the rain (again :evil: )

Don
leximack

Postby RobK » Fri May 02, 2014 9:54 am

Just a reminder that the Rivo ride is happening this Sunday. Online registrations are still open, or you can register at the start site on Sunday morning (but please allow a little extra time).

Unfortunately we've had to shorten the 50, 80 & 100km routes a little due to Hawkesbury Council undertaking roadworks and closing a section of road we were planning to use. Still should still be a great day out on the bike though.
RobK

Postby Hergest » Fri May 02, 2014 12:31 pm

I'm looking forward to it. I think winter clothing will be the order of the day this year judging by the forecast.
2013 Lynskey R230. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires.
Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun May 04, 2014 1:05 pm

That was great. Lovely weather after all if a bit breezy now and then. I (and a few others) went wrong on the 2nd loop of the 100 km ride but it was all good as it meant we actually clocked up 103 km which was a bonus.

Thanks to all those who organise the event. I helped out putting signs out yesterday and it made me realise just how much effort goes into putting an event like this on.

Now i'm going to sit and digest the big lunch.
2013 Lynskey R230. 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires.
Hergest

Postby leximack » Sun May 04, 2014 5:24 pm

was good fun on the bike today, great event for a very important cause.
Wind seemed to be okish except i seemed to always be in a headwind (how does that work on a loop??).
temps were good and roads dried very quicky. Liked the course and will venture out that way more often.
Only issue i had was missing a turnoff from anangrove rd onto edwards rd. Marshall said to go straight (probably though we were a 50 or 80km rider or which ever group was going that way even though we yelled out that we were 100k riders), i thought it was wrong at the time but wasnt 100% sure, knew it was wrong after i went past blue gum rd so turned back.
Maybe the different groups (50, 80, 100k etc) can have different colour bibs so its easier to identify whos who, so many intersections that the different categories go different ways so its easy to get confused.
Overall i had fun, ended up with 117km by the time i got home.

Don

http://www.strava.com/activities/137103217
leximack

Postby danchez » Sun May 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Same issue with the marshals being a bit confused on where to direct who (was probably more me confused in hindsight). Unfortunately I realised too late and ended back at the start point 25km's short of the revised 80km route.

Had fun none the less! Enjoyed the previously unexplored (for me) terrain.
danchez

Postby Xplora » Sun May 04, 2014 9:06 pm

Downloadable Garmin Course would be an easy fix for that... but route changes don't help with that :(
Xplora

Postby ab012 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:52 pm

danchez wrote:Same issue with the marshals being a bit confused on where to direct who (was probably more me confused in hindsight). Unfortunately I realised too late and ended back at the start point 25km's short of the revised 80km route.

Had fun none the less! Enjoyed the previously unexplored (for me) terrain.

Ha! Exactly same thing happened to me, although in my case being late and starting at 8:30 probably didnt help matters... Its quite odd too given that I thought most of the signs were quite visible and clear yet still somehow got lost!

The people at the start point then pointed me back to the route so ended up with my own version of the ride in the 2nd half 8) Bit lonely in that section though. :lol:
ab012

Postby RobK » Sun May 11, 2014 8:04 am

Apologies for the volunteer pointing 100km the wrong way. I'd done the briefing to the vols before the ride started and took the vols on that corner aside and spoken to them, as we'd had similar issues in the past there.
Unfortunately the message didn't get through :(
As soon as we were aware of what was happening we spoke to the vol and riders were directed in the correct direction. Unfortunately though, a lot of 100km riders had started on their second (and maybe even third?) loops of that section by that stage.
I find it very frustrating to see small things like this having such a major impact on the event and people's perception of the organising. 90% of the work for these events goes on in the background - It's only the end 10% that riders actually see. If a few things in that 10% go wrong, then everyone is affected. (End of whinge!)
Honestly though, the ride is organised by a committee of 5 people at present. I find it a large workload - We need more people, especially cyclists on the committee and to assist in the final weeks before the event. I'm actually saying to the others on the committee that I don't want to be involved again unless there are more people to help share the workload and bounce ideas around.
Anyone interested in helping keep this event going and improving it?

Cheers,

Rob
RobK

Previous

Return to New South Wales