Bobbin Head Classic

AndrewCowley

Bobbin Head Classic

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:10 pm

How does the logistics of this event work? For instance: Are there drink stations? Are there lane closures?

I'm thinking of doing the 104km version. I notice they sneakily take the hard route though, West Head first and then Akuna Bay anti-clockwise.

vosadrian

Re: Bobbin Head Classic

Postby vosadrian » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:51 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:How does the logistics of this event work? For instance: Are there drink stations? Are there lane closures?

I'm thinking of doing the 104km version. I notice they sneakily take the hard route though, West Head first and then Akuna Bay anti-clockwise.
I did it last year. I think there were a few drink stations... I only used the one at the toilet block near the end of west head, but there was atleast one other at Terry Hills. I don't recall there being lane closures, but there were police around and lots of volunteers directing riders and traffic at corners. It seemed safe enough to me. It is a fairly challenging route with some good climbs of which Akuna is the toughest and also quite late in the ride. There was a bit of conclusion last year on the route back around St Ives.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Is this an event requiring compulsory fundraising, or can you just pay your entry fee and do the ride?

vikramranna

Postby vikramranna » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Just pay your entry and ride....no fundraising required

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:52 pm

what do you get for your entry fee? If the roads are not closed then I presume you can just ride the course on your own??
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:27 pm

vikramranna wrote:Just pay your entry and ride....no fundraising required
Great, I'll be up for that. After raising $$ for the Gong I won't have much chance of doing it again 4 mths later.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:10 pm

Had a good time on the ride today. However I also saw this on FB... shows the mentality of cyclist haters

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:45 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:Had a good time on the ride today. However I also saw this on FB... shows the mentality of cyclist haters

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You would think that having attended Newington College and being the relevant Minister, Duncan Gay would know how to spell "road".

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:53 pm

biker jk wrote:
You would think that having attended Newington College and being the relevant Minister, Duncan Gay would know how to spell "road".
:lol: Made me laugh
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Made me laugh at the stupidity of such bogans too. And in a reasonably affluent (effluent??) area Terrey Hills. Don't want "their" roads partially closed ONE DAY A YEAR so they have a slight delay in towing their enormous boat behind their enormous SUV....

Very nice day out - got 151km total with the ride too and from the event. I've actually earned my Sunday arvo beer today.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 pm

I hear a rider crashed at West Head, going over the guard rail of the sharp right-hander just before the look out. This is quite a dangerous corner as a steepish descent precedes it. An ambulance attended. I don't have any information on the rider's condition but I hope he wasn't badly injured and makes a speedy recovery. Was there a safety briefing before the event and/or a warning sign for that corner?

Milar

Postby Milar » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:27 pm

Yes, there was a safety briefing before the ride. There were signs and at least 3 separate groups of volunteers approaching the end of West Head urging riders to slow down. I don't know the circumstance on the crash, except that it happened just after I went through there as they were calling out to riders as I was coming back up. Another guy saw a rear-wheel blowout down there too but the rider managed to stay upright :shock:.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Boognoss wrote:Made me laugh at the stupidity of such bogans too. And in a reasonably affluent (effluent??) area Terrey Hills. Don't want "their" roads partially closed ONE DAY A YEAR so they have a slight delay in towing their enormous boat behind their enormous SUV....

Very nice day out - got 151km total with the ride too and from the event. I've actually earned my Sunday arvo beer today.
The social use of the road really makes for an incredible insight into the selfish view there. Hundreds of people using the road versus a couple dozen cars that could take an alternate route. Who really gives a toss about the complaints of such a person? They aren't reasonable and if they can't see the irony behind them being upset that their leisure time is being disturbed by the leisure of hundreds of others.... Maybe they got the precious snowflake speech from mum quite a lot? :lol:

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:01 am

They closed the road down to Akuna..

I was a bit surprised when out on my Sunday morning ride, went to take the usual Akuna/West Head loop, only to be blocked by a couple nice girls who informed me that I wasn't able to ride Akuna as the road was closed for the event.

West Head was not closed, so I missed out on Akuna and did West Head.

Milar

Postby Milar » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:19 am

sobmal wrote:They closed the road down to Akuna.
I don't think that's right. Akuna Bay was accessible via West Head road for both non-event riders and cars (based on what I saw on the road anyway).

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:02 am

I was stopped (absolutely definitely would not let me enter on my bike) from descending into Akuna (the top box) from the west clockwise into Akuna.

I assume that they had closed the road the other way after the Marina, cars could still access the Marina from the East.

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:42 am

The road was open anticlockwise. Not sure why they closed the route going in the opposite direction to the event, although it's unlikely to have been the organisers' decision.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:11 pm

rogan wrote:The road was open anticlockwise. Not sure why they closed the route going in the opposite direction to the event, although it's unlikely to have been the organisers' decision.
My guess would be because you inevitably have some participants in these events crossing to the wrong side in dangerous spots to overtake, despite it being a "ride" not "race". I saw a bit of that yesterday.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:58 pm

I rode the 102km... My first big participation ride & I was impressed. It was a great morning ride.
Well done to the volunteers and organisers.
Hopefully the rider/s that crashed are ok.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:43 pm

JohnJoyner wrote:I rode the 102km... My first big participation ride & I was impressed. It was a great morning ride.
Well done to the volunteers and organisers.
Hopefully the rider/s that crashed are ok.
Seemed to be better organised than most other rides I've done. Even though there were loads of of 100+ riders I was pretty close to the front so got out in the first 5 mins and we were immediately rolling unlike the walk/shuffle of the Spring Cycle or Gong Ride for a while.