Hazard-Guildford To Merrylands Shared Path

RobboMC

Re: Hazard-Guildford To Merrylands Shared Path

Postby RobboMC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks Hergest for posting this. I ride this section quite a bit, but not lately. I would have arrived at 25 km/h in the dark.
While it's at the top of a rise it is on a long piece of uninterrupted path and speeds can be high, especially when going from Merrylands toward Guildford.

For the record this path is called the Parramatta-Liverpool Rail Trail. Perhaps someone less new than me could repost it under that name.

I've seen some dumb designs in the past but I think this one takes the cake. The crossing should have been built 5 metres left or right - so simple!

One of my pipe dreams is to have ramps added to this bridge so it becomes wheelchair and bicycle friendly. So many challenges.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:55 pm

That footbridge is old infrastructure, i'm sure it wouldn't take more than a stick of gelignite to bring it down so a proper new one could be built in its place slightly up the road with ramps and proper access for those who aren't as fleet on their feet as the able bodied.

Not that i'm suggesting anyone goes out with a stick of gelignite and blow it up of course :twisted:
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

RobboMC

Postby RobboMC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:12 am

Yeah I know it's old. When I was in the boy scouts nearby we would cross it on some of our travels on foot. It was rusty and old then and that was 50 years ago.
Maybe they will get it heritage listed as an original example of a 'rusty old railway footbridge' ( Joke of course )

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Perhaps the solution is to ride on the road and use the obstacle course on the cycleway as the excuse.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:06 pm

A shared path is not a bike lane so no excuse needed - ride on the road anyway
Anything you can do, I can do slower