Preston to Wollongong

Preston to Wollongong

Postby vikramranna » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone could suggest any routes for riding from Preston to Wollongong. I have previously done the Sydney to Gong but i was looking for a route that i could start riding from my suburb rather than having to start somewhere else.

Appreciate any help

Regards,
Vikram
vikramranna

by BNA » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 pm

BNA

Re: Preston to Wollongong

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Preston? You mean Prestons Green Valley?
Derny Driver

Postby vikramranna » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Preston, NSW (suburb near Liverpool)
vikramranna

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:32 pm

From Liverpool you would probably take Campbelltown road down to Campbelltown then get onto Menangle road. At Douglas Park turn left onto Camden Road /Douglas park Drive. At Wilton Road go sort of straight ahead onto Macarthur drive which will take you onto the Picton Road. Its nice riding down through the Douglas park gorge. Don't be scared of Picton Road, its actually pretty good riding as there is a good shoulder. When you get to the Mt Keira exit turn right. Normally you would just come straight down Keira and go straight ahead at the bottom and you will end up in Wollongong Mall. Keira is closed due to rock falls so you may need to take harry Graham drive and come down the mountain via Mt Kembla. You will finish up in the vicinity of Figtree /Unanderra which is a bit south of the CBD. You can turn left onto the old highway and head north back up to Wollongong.
It may be possible to actually come down Keira if you are prepared to get off the bike and negotiate some concrete barriers the council have put up. I will find out for you. Otherwise Kembla would be fine. Do not come down Mt Ousley under any circumstance.
Derny Driver

Postby vikramranna » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks Derny.
vikramranna

Postby MREJ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:25 am

DD's route sounds good. Here's another option.

Take the M5 to Bond's Rd, go south through Mortdale and cross George's River at the Como footbridge. Go up the hill to Sutherland and continue south on the highway. After Waterfall, go onto the old highway to Helensburgh. There, choose between the scenic but slower option of descending to Stanwell Park and riding along the beaches, or stay up top on the old road until it joins the freeway just before Bulli Pass. Go down Bulli Pass and then along the highway to the northern distributor, which takes you into Wollongong.
2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, 2012 Felt F75, 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE
MREJ

Return to New South Wales