Century Challenge

Century Challenge

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Anyone done it? Anyone able to give a brief overview of the roads and riding conditions?
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

by BNA » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 am

BNA

Re: Century Challenge

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 am

I say give it a go, regardless. These local rides need the support of experienced riders as well as noobs, and you typically run a low risk of serious trouble as they are required to have better assistance plans than your mates meeting at the bike shop do ;) only concern is hubbards, and we can't stop that from a forum. ;)
Xplora

Postby Crowella » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:00 pm

The Century Challenge is a great, friendly ride. You don't need to be racing A-grade to do it however it is somewhat challenging. I'll be doing it this year and I haven't ridden too much this year, which will probably class me as a hubbard. :P

The descent to Mooney Mooney Creek is pretty smooth and the climb up is rewarding. From there on, it's pretty much rolling hills throughout, usually with relatively smooth roads. I think the only two bits that get a bit rough is early on in the ride under a bridge, which might as well be cobblestones, then there is the descent into Somersby Falls which is a bit bumpy, where you have to do a loop around the carpark

When I last did it in 2012, the route was pretty well signposted, the rest stops were usually well stocked and all the major intersections were controlled/closed off.

Here is what the route may be this year.
http://www.strava.com/activities/8910231
Adam
Specialized Sirrus 2011
Avanti Quantum 2.0 2011

Crowella

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:30 pm

No crime in being out of condition or looking like a TdF starter - the biggest concern is the boofheads who take dangerous lines through corners or chop your front wheel etc etc. really can't say enough to warn about these people.
Xplora

Return to New South Wales