What is the steepest rd in Sydney?

Addictr3

Re: What is the steepest rd in Sydney?

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am

Wonder what Wakehurst Parkway climb is heading to Frenchs Forest?
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:29 pm

Heading south, kicks off at 9% just beyond the flat past Oxford Falls Rd, and gets to 17% just before Frenchs Forest Road, so says MapMyRide. I believe that.

Jim

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Haha... Wakehurst parkway 17% section. Must of been some topo changes since I left :-)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Just the final run before the road, last about 50m@17%. Nowhere near a HC like your backyard TLL!

Jim

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Climbed the Parkway again this morning, wasnt too bad :P
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

HillBilly

Postby HillBilly » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:21 am

I'd be really surprised if Wakehurst Pwy hits 17%....

There are lots of suburban streets scattered across Sydney that are short and steep. Parts of South Turramurra, Wahroonga and Beecroft (Malton Rd) many of which are deadends down into valleys are notoriously steep. Certainly around the 20% level. Another place with super steep hills is the western side Bilgola Plateau. The ride up from Prince Alfred Pde to Lower Plateau Rd (I think it's Loombah St?) is around 20%.

I'm not convinced a Garmin gives an accurate reading on steep climbs - the combination of slow speeds, hilly terrain and tree cover seems to play havoc with the readings. Certainly when it comes to spot readings versus average gradients over a longer stretch.

HillBilly.

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:07 pm

It's been mentioned before in this thread, but Pretoria Pde Hornsby averages 21% for 350 m, climbing 74 m vertical in that distance. That's approximately equal in vertical gain to riding halfway out of Bobbin Head.
Last edited by rogan on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:01 pm

HillBilly wrote:Another place with super steep hills is the western side Bilgola Plateau.
Hansford Pde, Bilgola. Definitely > 20% going by how I felt climbing it compared to other ~20% ish climbs e.g. parts of Bumble Hill and Dog Trap rd. Was desperation grinding in both 30/26 (the first time) and 39/29 (the second time). Short though, and at least I didn't get off and push :).
HillBilly wrote: I'm not convinced a Garmin gives an accurate reading on steep climbs
+1

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 am

rogan wrote:It's been mentioned before in this thread, but Pretoria Pde Hornsby averages 21% for 350 m, climbing 74 m vertical in that distance. That's approximately equal in vertical gain to riding halfway out of Bobbin Head.
Used to ride all the way from Valley Rd up Pretoria Pde to Pac Hwy on a BMX, having come down the Firetrail from Quarter Sessions Rd in Westleigh!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Anyone mentioned the road to the causeway crossing in the National Park at Glenbrook??

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:57 am

Tread bump.

I tried Ryedale Rd on the weekend and I was spent by the time I got 1/3 of the way up past Sixth Ave (having come from Meadowbank wharf). Stopped for 5 mins and continued to only just give up before getting to Fifth Ave and stopping in a heap for 15mins to recover. How does anyone get better to climb that hill apart from a cup of 60MPa concrete?

tk38

Postby tk38 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:51 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Tread bump.

I tried Ryedale Rd on the weekend and I was spent by the time I got 1/3 of the way up past Sixth Ave (having come from Meadowbank wharf). Stopped for 5 mins and continued to only just give up before getting to Fifth Ave and stopping in a heap for 15mins to recover. How does anyone get better to climb that hill apart from a cup of 60MPa concrete?
haha i did this in my single speed. It took many fail attempts to just get up to sixth.
Now if i want to go up, i turn left at sixth and make my way the long way around, where the gradient is less. Haven't done it in while and now i started riding road bikes. I don't think i can do it anymore!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Hehehe, they cheat and use the Shared path around to the train station :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ecreek

Postby ecreek » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:30 pm

+1 for Arden Street

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Got lost near Bayview today and went down a one-way road called Kennedy place, there was a wall right at the end that must have been near 20% (garmin said 18.4 I think). I was in the 34/29 combo and standing on the pedals and could barely make it up, definitely the steepest hill I've ever been on but only for about 20m).

diggler

Postby diggler » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 am

Near the Uni of NSW is Barker St and Middle St. Anybody know how steep they are? Is there a website for this?
Motorists hate cyclists and cyclists hate the motorists and the pedestrians hate the bikers and everybody hates the trucks.

Alycat

Postby Alycat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 pm

3k from home on my every day ride, there is a 17/18% climb, as per Garmin. After 50k it is not too bad, after a 100k it is a bit harder :roll:
Problem with acronyms is one acronym can have several meanings.. so I joined USA, Unique Standard Acronyms which is enforcing one acronym=one meaning.... powerful group, I saw Obama is president...

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Anyone mentioned Edgar St and the other road parallel to it, Jenkins St (just that 1 lane bit) in Chatswood? I'd struggle to crawl up those hills and if it's raining, I have no idea how cars can get up that road without a run up.

http://goo.gl/maps/6Ivx6

orukusaki

Re:

Postby orukusaki » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:18 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Add Wallace st, Marrickville South

I had to chuck a u'ie when I realised that I needed a lower gear and would of just fallen over if I tried to change. With aid of the triple I made it up on the second attempt.
Wallace street is definitely up there (I live at the top of it). At top of Wallace turning left onto Livingstone Rd is also pretty steep, but Wallace would be steeper (the footpath has a handrail!).

sb944

Postby sb944 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:43 am

SmellyTofu wrote:Anyone mentioned Edgar St and the other road parallel to it, Jenkins St (just that 1 lane bit) in Chatswood? I'd struggle to crawl up those hills and if it's raining, I have no idea how cars can get up that road without a run up.

http://goo.gl/maps/6Ivx6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tried Edgar St the last couple of mornings. Put it on Strava, it claims a 9% grade. The earlier Fullers Pain, going from the intersection of Lady Game Dr and Delhi Rd up towards Chatswood is claimed to be 13%, and definitely tougher overall, as it's a fair bit longer. Yesterday I took it easy through the national park and got up Fullers and Edgar OK, today I went quicker through the park, and both were tough climbs. I still think Fullers is quite a bit tougher though.

Dean Whittle

Postby Dean Whittle » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:19 am

Getting up to Earlwood (sth of Marrickville& Cooks River cycleway) can be fun, but there are few ways in.

Being a 'returned cyclist' after 25yrs out of the saddle, the easiest route I've found is up Wardell Rd from Dulwich Hill, I've progressed to coming up Bass St (short and reasonably steep) and then onto Wardell.

I have come in via Wolli Ave twice and that was fun, if short.

I'd like to tackle coming in via either Thompson St (off Permanent Ave) or Burlington Ave, again short and steep.

The challenging entries (for me at least) will be either coming in via Bayview Ave from Tempe (near the Canterbury/Tempe Velodrome) or up Homer Street from Marrickville, both around 400m long, not too sure of the rise.

Regards
2012 Focus Planet TR 5.0

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:50 pm

ive climbed ryedale a few times in the last month. i can go through an entire ride without my heart rate going above 150, including climbs like bobbin head and fullers rd in chatswood. but without fail ryedale pushes my HR well above 170! standing up and pushing as hard as i can is the only way i have managed to make it to the top...though i still managed to maintain an average of 11km/h on the steep part!

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Ozkaban wrote:There's a hill in Berowra which is steeper - Acacia. I've measured it at just on 13 degrees, which converts to 20-something percent. Haven't attempted to ride up that yet.
I finally got around to riding up Acacia with the Garmin. It reckons the steepest bit is 20.8 deg (there's one section that it thinks is 26.6, but it's so short that I think it's a data anomaly)

Still a serious enough little hill! I did 5 repeats. After the 4th I had to go for a 2k loop around the block or I would have puked :?

sb944

Postby sb944 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:40 pm

george-bob wrote:

ive climbed ryedale a few times in the last month. i can go through an entire ride without my heart rate going above 150, including climbs like bobbin head and fullers rd in chatswood. but without fail ryedale pushes my HR well above 170! standing up and pushing as hard as i can is the only way i have managed to make it to the top...though i still managed to maintain an average of 11km/h on the steep part!
Tried Ryedale today, tough climb, but its downhill before, so you can attack it nice and fresh. Even did Melville after.

I was beat by a hill last week though. Linden Way Castlecrag. Similar to Fullers, winds around and just keeps going. I thought I had it then I just lost momentum and quit 3/4 up.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:24 am

sb944 wrote:
george-bob wrote:

Tried Ryedale today, tough climb, but its downhill before, so you can attack it nice and fresh. Even did Melville after.

I was beat by a hill last week though. Linden Way Castlecrag. Similar to Fullers, winds around and just keeps going. I thought I had it then I just lost momentum and quit 3/4 up.
i will have to check out linden way, looks brutal. funny you mentioned both ryedale and fullers, as i rode both this morning! feeling a little tired now though :?