Re: M2 OVERPASS EXPANSION JOINTS BEECROFT ROAD

Postby Spudrides » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:56 pm

Great news, thanks Boognoss.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:59 pm

Spudrides wrote:Great news, thanks Boognoss.

In fact it was 100% ok on my commute this morning :D (and I expect the same tomorrow).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:07 pm

I am back at work mid-Feb, so looking forward to it. I am going back to regular working hours, so may be flying down the M2 with trek52
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

Barb1013

Postby Barb1013 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:00 am

Apologies for being remiss in checking this site. I had meant to post that we got a RESULT :mrgreen: on the expansion joints BUT I wasnt sure that the one I came off on had actually been fixed. I saw that it had coloured foam in the gap but couldnt see (too dangerous to stop or even walk across to view) that there was anti-skid - and I dont drive or ride that way very much so I am glad to see your posts that it has been done. I think the result shows if you say nothing, NOTHING HAPPENS and I am, to say the least, glad that I persevered. It has taken months to get this through but at the end of the day I am sure it has saved many cyclists who use that particular stretch of road from needless accdients.

I rang the local paper (Northern District Times) but before that I had written to my local MP (Matt Keane) with photos of both Epping Road and Beecroft Road (plus the video clip from you Simon (THANKS!!! :D ) and just about the same time the article was published in the NDT the RTA got in touch with me (as did Matt Keane) to say that Hills M2 Motorway were going to risk assess it and fix it, if necessary. I believe the video clip did much for them to see how dangerous this joint was.

I met up with another lady who also had an appalling accident at the same place - she broke a rib and punctured her lung. We would both have liked to have taken further action against M2 Hills Motorway as they KNEW about this back in January (when she had her accident - she reported it) but we needed more people who have reported this in the past to come forward .

I knew that the Epping Road ones had been done when a work colleague told me they had put tar over the gap, so I went and had a look (as I work quite close to it).

I am so glad these joints have been 'fixed' but I can honestly say I will NEVER ride my bike across those ones on Beecroft Road. The thought of what happened to me will remain for the rest of my life - and what could have been if that lady had not stopped and assisted me. My head is still numb on one side and I have been told that feeling may never come back.....

I hope this will inspire other cyslists who can make a different to the roads to write to authorities to tell them and request/demand something is done.

I still cycle but only locally, M7 and National Park. AND lastly thanks to all those who have shared and helped my cause! :D