Help Needed: Ride Options Between Sydney & Cooma?

Help Needed: Ride Options Between Sydney & Cooma?

Postby Rich-Ti » Thu May 22, 2014 12:46 pm

In a couple of weeks time I'm going to be spending the weekend in Cooma. My wife has suggested I investigate options to allow me to get a ride in on the way there (and hopefully the way back) - i.e. that I should ride part of the way and she will meet me, or drop me off before we get there and I ride the rest of the way (or something along those lines).

I now need to come up with a cunning plan…

The options as I see it are:

- Ride Sydney to Woollongong (possibly beyond, depending whether I start in Manly, or get myself to somewhere south of the city and then start riding)
- Get myself to <somewhere> by train, then ride (e.g. Southern Highlands / Kangaroo Valley / other)
- Get the wife to drop me out of the car a certain distance from Cooma and ride the rest of the way

What would you do? Are there any options / areas I've missed that I really should take note of? I'm quite keen on riding the Sea Cliff Bridge, but only because I've seen so many pics of it - is it actually worth doing?!

I seem to recall the road in to Cooma is ok, but my wife isn't keen on me riding that section alone so one of the other options is probably preferred.

All advice welcome, and thanks in advance!

MODS: I've posted this in 'Road Biking' too - feel free to delete one or other thread if that's inappropriate.
Rich-Ti

by BNA » Fri May 23, 2014 9:18 am

BNA

Re: Help Needed: Ride Options Between Sydney & Cooma?

Postby timbo » Fri May 23, 2014 9:18 am

A lot of this depends on which way you travel to Cooma. The most direct way is via Canberra, which rules out Wollongong and the coastal roads.
I would be inclined to catch a train to say, Campbelltown and then ride via the old Hume Highway to the Southern Highlands, taking in Picton, Bargo etc and finish up perhaps in Bowral, have a coffee, and jump in the car and head off to Cooma.
If you find you still have time near the end of the trip, you can get dropped off any distance out from Cooma and cycle the rest of the way.
timbo

Re: Help Needed: Ride Options Between Sydney & Cooma?

Postby Rich-Ti » Fri May 23, 2014 1:44 pm

My wife is pretty flexible in terms of which route I take and where she has to pick me up from so that's less of a constraint.

The Old Hume Highway option could be a good one though.
Rich-Ti

Return to New South Wales