Seven Mile Beach Rd - widening

Postby GAV!N » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Just some information. There has been the odd thread on here, about riding south from Sydney down the coast, and it has been raised on several occasions, by myself and others, that between Gerringong and Berry/Shoalhaven Heads, there is virtually no SAFE way to go, with the three options all pretty terrible for road width and safety.

Good news is...Shoalhaven Council are widening Seven Mile Beach Road, a good 2m on either side. They are also widening Bolong Road between Shoalhaven Heads and Back Forest Road. This means heading south from Gerringong will now be far safer for cyclists...which can only be a good thing :D They've done a good section of the eastern side of the road and started on the west. Should be finished in the next few weeks I imagine.

(Still about 2km of crap at the northern end of Seven Mile Beach Rd which is in Kiama Council's LGA...maybe they will follow)

I'll take a photo next time I'm going past to show the difference.
Scott CR1 - 105 - Mavic Kyserium equippe
GAV!N

by BNA » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:35 pm

BNA

Re: Seven Mile Beach Rd - widening

Postby herzog » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Good news. Drivers tend to hammer through there. Lots of caravans and boats too. Drivers often forget about their extra girth.
herzog

Postby ab012 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks for the info. Greatly looking forward to this. Have been toying with the idea of trying the jamberoo - robertson - KV- Berry loop and this was the missing piece ;)
ab012

Postby GAV!N » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 am

ab012 wrote:Thanks for the info. Greatly looking forward to this. Have been toying with the idea of trying the jamberoo - robertson - KV- Berry loop and this was the missing piece ;)

I did that loop but in reverse not long ago. Fantastic ride. I got a lift between Gerringong and Berry though. http://www.strava.com/activities/144498608
GAV!N

Postby ab012 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:25 pm

oooh thats excellent
ab012

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:35 pm

You can ride on the beach :-)

Good to see it widened. I normally just train it to Kiama
Mugglechops

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:32 pm

For almost a year I commuted on bike from Shoalhaven Heads to Nowra along Bolong Rd.
Every morning at 4am in the shower I would say a sort of a prayer "please, just don't let me get struck down today".
Every time I heard a car coming from behind I would just hold my line and hope I didn't die.
Don't ever ride that road unless you have to.
Lots of bogans hitting that stretch between 110 and 180kph. They really do hammer.
However, you can ride from Gerringong to Shoalhaven heads on the beach. Then when you get to shoalhaven heads Get on the tarmac and head out on to back-forest rd. beautiful rural undulating well kept road which is low on traffic and the locals are used to it being chockers full of cyclists. It's a lovely stretch and comes out right where the highway stretch to Nowra has a reeeealy wide shoulder all the way to Nowra (about 7kms).
The shoulder is about 1.5 metres wide, and the road really widens up there so plenty of room for cars and bikes.
It's just the stretch between Gerringong and a few kms before Nowra where the roads are skinny, poorly lit and have no shoulder that you want to avoid.
Also, if you ride around past Shoalhaven heads and stay on the beach, right at the end there is a punt late crosses the river and takes you across and comes out south of Nowra. It only crosses twice a day though do you want to get your times dialled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
harmonix1234

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:46 pm

harmonix1234 wrote:For almost a year I commuted on bike from Shoalhaven Heads to Nowra along Bolong Rd.
Every morning at 4am in the shower I would say a sort of a prayer "please, just don't let me get struck down today".
Every time I heard a car coming from behind I would just hold my line and hope I didn't die.
Don't ever ride that road unless you have to.
Lots of bogans hitting that stretch between 110 and 180kph. They really do hammer.
However, you can ride from Gerringong to Shoalhaven heads on the beach. Then when you get to shoalhaven heads Get on the tarmac and head out on to back-forest rd. beautiful rural undulating well kept road which is low on traffic and the locals are used to it being chockers full of cyclists. It's a lovely stretch and comes out right where the highway stretch to Nowra has a reeeealy wide shoulder all the way to Nowra (about 7kms).
The shoulder is about 1.5 metres wide, and the road really widens up there so plenty of room for cars and bikes.
It's just the stretch between Gerringong and a few kms before Nowra where the roads are skinny, poorly lit and have no shoulder that you want to avoid.
Also, if you ride around past Shoalhaven heads and stay on the beach, right at the end there is a punt late crosses the river and takes you across and comes out south of Nowra. It only crosses twice a day though do you want to get your times dialled.

Comerong Island ferry runs when a car turns up. It's $10 from the Nowra side and free the other way. Cars can't get from the other so it's really a return fare. I wish it was still fare. If you get the operaters number from the council website you can ring him if he is on the other side.
Mugglechops

Postby grantw » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm glad they are widening it, I was out last weekend and enjoyed the xtra breadth though I missed the "bumtree".

I've ridden it a few times now (northward) and find the stress seems to be between Nowra and the bridge, after that it seems quite civilised for a fast road, though the diversion looks enjoyable :-)
grantw

Postby harmonix1234 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks mugglechops, I stand corrected.
^^^ what you said!

harmonix1234

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:37 pm

harmonix1234 wrote:However, you can ride from Gerringong to Shoalhaven heads on the beach.

That would be GERROA to Shoalhaven Heads :wink:
Derny Driver

Postby harmonix1234 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Yes, sorry. Gerroa is correct.

harmonix1234

Postby GregLR » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Further to the comments of 'GAV!N' and 'ab012' earlier in this thread, here's the route of a ride that I did clockwise around the Kiama/Berry/Kangaroo Valley/Robertson/Jamberoo loop last December, on the Sunday before Xmas after setting off from Shellharbour about 6.10am: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2803847

If you're interested in doing this loop just be aware that the long dowhhill section on the highway before the Gerringong turnoff is unpleasant - there's only one southbound lane and it doesn't have a hard shoulder due to a concrete barrier on the edge where the shoulder should be. This is part of the major Princess Highway upgrade work (7.5km of double carriageway + major bridge at the Gerringong turnoff) that is not due to complete until 2015.

Of course, even after you turn off to Gerringong towards Gerroa & the Beach Rd turnoff to Berry it's one lane each way with no shoulder, but at the early hour I went through there was little traffic going that way.

Greg
GregLR

Postby KGB » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Good news that they're widening it.

The long downhill towards the gerringong turnoff really is a nightmare at present. If the traffic is really really busy it's ok as they move pretty slowly. After the gerringong turnoff is only for those with suicidal tendencies.
Once this upgrade is complete it should be much better, is that the last link?
KGB

Postby GAV!N » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Gerringong to Toolijooa is what they're currently doing. That's expected to be completed mid 2015. Then it moves on to Toolijooa to Berry (inc. Berry bypass), due 2018. I'm pretty sure they are now discussing, or may have even had confirmed funding for Berry to Bomaderry. So if you're a road worker and want to live down her, pretty sure you'll have work for probably the next 10 years!
GAV!N

Return to New South Wales