SMH stirs pot re Pyrmont Bridge

jimsheedy

Re: SMH stirs pot re Pyrmont Bridge

Postby jimsheedy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:43 am

I think questioning the behaviour of cyclists on shared pathways is legitimate. Riders should be very careful when sharing a path with pedestrians. Ive seen some shocking riding by commuters in peak times. Blaming cyclists however is lazy ( seems to be the main attribute of journalists these days ) as it is not addressing the real issue of inadequate infrastructure. On the other hand the other publication seems to be hell bent on promoting disharmony and denigrating very good infrastructure.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act ... 6955311897" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:31 am

If this stuff is built, people will eventually use it. Key being linked together cycling networks/infrastructure and having good facilities at the place where you work.

In my place, I'd not feel safe leaving a good bike locked up downstairs in the carpark and I can't really have it in the open place office. There is loads of empty space, but nowhere really decent that I could put a bike. The showers are average (tiny) but at least provide hot water.

Riding to and from work would be possible for me to do each day - I'd have to go via Toongabbie and then the M2. I could do it if I really wanted to. Don't care enough though.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:38 am

When I used to commute to work, I would put my bike and a week's worth of work clothes in the car, then drive to work on Monday morning. I'd then ride home and back to work each day, leaving the bike in the car during the day. Then drive home on Friday. But we had a secure car park at work so it was easy.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:45 am

A car as a mobile bike cage, excellent repurposing :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

andrich

Postby andrich » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 pm

What did you do if you needed the car after work....? Lol

silentC

Postby silentC » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:24 am

I had no life, so it never came up :)

I figured if I ever needed it, I could just catch the train to work and pick it up.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

andrich

Postby andrich » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:15 pm

Haha fair enough.

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:49 pm

g-boaf wrote:
In my place, I'd not feel safe leaving a good bike locked up downstairs in the carpark and I can't really have it in the open place office.
You need a Brompton you do!

While I do have access to a bike cage, the Brom has spent a few days sitting folded under my desk instead of in the cage because I forgot my cage key.

A folded Brom is just another bit of luggage and if there are jobsworths who might object put it in a bag and then it really is luggage!