Spring Cycle 2014

SheikYerbouti

Re: Spring Cycle 2014

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:07 am

phil_ wrote:How are you guys attaching the ride number to the bike?
Just cable ties around the bars, in front of cables.
http://imgur.com/d4w7QVT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forecast looks 50/50 - temps in high teens to about 20 for most of the ride, but a decent chance of a few 5-minute showers, too. Oh well, once you're wet you can't get wetter so stop worrying.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:19 am

I have to pick up my kit for the 107km ride tomorrow morning. Any sense of what time I should get there? Is there normally a long queue for this?

phil_

Postby phil_ » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:43 am

Hmmm will need to play around with it tonight. I think the Garmin out front mount is making things a bit trickier.

Might try zip ties in the handle bars and twist ties to the cables to stop it flapping about.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:15 am

phil_ wrote: twist ties to the cables to stop it flapping about.
Doubt it will, wind will push it back and keep it against the cables, unless you're so slow that a tailwind would cause it to flap around :)

I'd be getting there 45 mins before start if you're picking up your number (and bring 2 cable ties in case they don't have any).

phil_

Postby phil_ » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:35 am

SheikYerbouti wrote:
phil_ wrote: twist ties to the cables to stop it flapping about.
Doubt it will, wind will push it back and keep it against the cables, unless you're so slow that a tailwind would cause it to flap around :)
Hopefully not but you never know!

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:56 pm

Did the 105km today. Hats off to all the volunteers. It was pretty well run I thought. I enjoyed the route. Signage could have been better in some parts though. Got lost on a few occasions, especially in the section after we left Paramatta park.

Was impressed by the Western Sydney wetlands and how large that area seems to be. Lots of bike paths in there too.

I understand in past years they have done laps around Olympic Park. This was far better. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

RobK

Postby RobK » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi Andrew,

Would you be able to pinpoint the places where you took the wrong turns? I'm happy to feed the info back to BNSW in case they do the same routes next year. (I imagine the signage was there, but it may not have been placed in the best locations). I was out on Saturday helping to put out the signs around the city and inner-west. Amongst our little group we had a few discussions on the best place to put signs, and even changed one or two signs that were down on the run-sheet. I was looking after a sector around Rhodes/Meadowbank during the event today, and a few of the signs that had been placed there by other volunteers weren't quite where I would've placed them. Fortunately we had volunteers there, so it wasn't an issue.
Please excuse me for getting on my horse here - but the best people to put up signs are the riders. If you've got some free time leading up to Spring Cycle next year, BNSW would love a hand putting up signs. (This year those on the signage crew got free entry to ride in Spring Cycle - hopefully they'll have the same incentive next year).

- Rob

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:30 pm

Areas without signage to me was around the crappy rubbish-strewn path behind dodgy houses around Wentworthville/Merrylands, but not due to the organisers' failings, but the locals. Several signs had been torn down, probably on Sat night.

phil_

Postby phil_ » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:50 pm

What else do you expect from Merrylands?

I had a great time! Many thanks to the organisers and volunteers for making it possible. Overall signage was fine, especially if there was someone there to direct the riders.

Might do the 105km next time. 50km was over too quickly so I tacked on another 60km on the way home :)

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:36 am

phil_ wrote: I had a great time!
Same, it was fun. It was my first century ride, like you the 50km was too quick last year, and I rode to a different station to go home and thus made it up to a grand fondo :)
The biggest difference to me was that the 105km riders were more "serious," I don't mean hardcore, just more experienced, so there were none of the issues I've seen on the 50 with people lacking situational awareness, swerving around, etc.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:47 am

phil_ wrote:What else do you expect from Merrylands? )
At least you weren't shot at. :lol:

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:14 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:Areas without signage to me was around the crappy rubbish-strewn path behind dodgy houses around Wentworthville/Merrylands, but not due to the organisers' failings, but the locals. Several signs had been torn down, probably on Sat night.

That's a ropey old path at the best of times and really needs a lot of work doing to it. Take any any signage and it would be even more unwelcome. I'm local but I don't use it as it's so bad, the side roads are better.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:42 pm

As Ride Crew on the 105k Challenge Ride, some things that I noticed....

There was poor signage showing the Exit out of Parramatta Park, (plus having the Pink Triathlon on in the Park on the same day made it quite confusing as to where to go)... the right turn into Alexander Ave from Hawkesbury Rd was very hard to see as riders were busy dealing with crossing two lanes of road traffic on Queens Rd. & trying not to get caught in the Bus lane.
From there the left turn into the laneway near Bridge Rd was manned by one policeman,(and a small arrow on the fence) & when you exited onto Grand Ave., fortunately there was a Volunteer directing to cross Bridge Rd & telling you to continue over to Veron St.
From this point at the top of Veron St., through along Lytton Street Park & out to cross both the Great Western Hwy & under the M4 was probably the worst of the signage... If you didn’t stop & look WELL into the distance, it was very hard to find your way, as there were paths that crossed in the Park with NO signage at all showing the direction to go. There was also no sign directing to the path under the M4 & back along the pathway beside it.

After the stop at The Dairy & returning back along the Canal Cycleway, the intersection at the top of Hyland Rd, wasn’t signposted, & riders were going down the hill & finding themselves going back to Fairfield Road Park.... some actually rode ALL the way back to the Park before finding out they’d made a wrong turn.

Most of the City to Parra was good, no problems..... & it was a slow lonely ride back to SOP from The Dairy .... "come in Tail End Charlie" LOL
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Out of interest what time did you roll into SOP as ride crew? Something I'll consider doing next year.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:16 pm

tez001 wrote:Out of interest what time did you roll into SOP as ride crew? Something I'll consider doing next year.
tez, I left with the first riders at 0635,(105k Ride) and was the last lone rider back at 1315.... I was on the old trike, so the hill climbing slowed me a bit :roll: ... on a DF, you'd probably keep a close pace with the riders. :mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

tgdavies

Postby tgdavies » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:18 am

We had a good time on the 12km -- great to see such a mass of people cycling. You did have to relax (about people stopping in poor places and kids zipping around) and be vigilant at the same time (for the same reasons). And even better I got an upper body workout dragging my bike + trailer bike up and down the stairs at various stations.

I'm sure some of the kids were under 8 -- and my brother in law who did the 50km said the same thing about the 12 years age limit on that ride...

It seemed well organised to me -- we didn't start on time, but that wasn't a problem. I don't know if the organisers ended up needing to keep the Cahill Expressway closed for longer than planned?

Scandrew

Postby Scandrew » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:30 pm

Does anyone have any discount codes for Spring Cycle 2016? :D