Cyclist killed at McCarrs Ck Rd Church Point today

Hooch

Re: Cyclist killed at McCarrs Ck Rd Church Point today

Postby Hooch » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:08 pm

What a sad start to the weekend

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:07 pm

R.I.P. Condolences to the family and friends.

The evening news reported the tragic incident and showed footage of the car suggesting an impact on the driver's side of the windscreen. It suggests the car went wide around a blind corner and collected the cyclist head on.

Eye witnesses say the driver crossed to the other side of the road around a bend and struck the cyclist. It was the Cicada Creek corner. Cyclists were coming down the hill to the right hand corner.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:38 pm

https://www.facebook.com/nswpoliceforce ... 9724906185

Witnesses say the driver was on the wrong side of the road, possibly drag racing (well known on that road). Charged with serious offences. What a sad day.

harmonix1234

Cyclist killed at McCarrs Ck Rd Church Point today

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Don't read the comments on the police nsw Facebook page. Just heartbreaking. Ride In Peace.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:43 pm

There's some pretty disgusting comments on Facebook... not that I'm surprised.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:58 am

Negligence in the handling of a motor vehicle should be a criminal offence. RIP fellow cyclist

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:06 am

rearviewmirror wrote:Negligence in the handling of a motor vehicle should be a criminal offence. RIP fellow cyclist

+1

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:22 am

The comments on the Nsw Police page are heartbreaking for the human race.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:11 am

rearviewmirror wrote:Negligence in the handling of a motor vehicle should be a criminal offence.

If it causes injury, it is.

http://www.armstronglegal.com.au/traffi ... t-driving/

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Very sad to hear and worrying as I ride that road every weekend early in the morning to avoid the traffic and the heat which we are getting now. The comments on the police facebook page are even sadder though.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:46 pm

From NSW Police
The 17-year-old provisional driver was issued with a Future Court Attendance Notice for the offences of dangerous driving occasioning death and negligent driving occasioning death.

His licence was also suspended by police.

He is due to appear in a children’s court on Monday 19 January 2015.

... where he'll be roundly beaten by the lightest feather they can find.

Well, at least his license was suspended. Not that I'd expect that stops anyone from driving.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 pm

harmonix1234 wrote:Don't read the comments on the police nsw Facebook page. Just heartbreaking. Ride In Peace.

It's so funny how people can just square the blame on the cyclist (RIP) even though they acknowledge the driver was speeding.

If a car was to speed along a busy CBD street and bowls over a pedestrian who happen to be crossing the road, it's the pedestrians fault coz the driver wasn't racing (against the clock/some other driver) so in their wacky world logic, it's not the driver's fault.

And of course someone had to roll out the rego card yet despite all the correcting that rego pays $0 into the road building/maintenance (possibly except the federal highways which the Commonwealth funds), drivers still say cyclist should pay rego. Mind you it's a farce even if we all paid rego and CTP (which most cyclist who ride regularly do). But even if rego was compulsory, cyclist will be tarred with "they shouldn't be on the road" brush and complain about these rego & insurance paying cyclist just like... hmmm... motorcyclist!! So even if cyclist could do the speed of the traffic, 2 wheel riders will always be marginalised for something they do (lane split, hoons, scooter riders etc etc) just for not travelling in a 4 wheel vehicle.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:52 am

Considered serious charges yet just look at the max penalty of what your life is worth. If it is windy, sunny, hilly, slopy, gravelly, that 18 months will be mitigated down to "0".
No bell and it is your fault, no light rear reflector and you definitely caused the situation. The law is a twisting snake.

From the above link.
The first of these charges is usually dealt with by way of traffic infringement notice. Often, it is the result of a minor crash and the infringement notice will be issued to any or all of the vehicles involved. This infringement notice carries with it three demerit points.

Negligent driving occasioning GBH or death are both very serious charges that carry with them maximum penalties of 9 months and 18 months imprisonment respectively. These charges carry with them the likelihood of a criminal conviction and lengthy loss of licence together with other penalties.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:15 am

He was also charged with Dangerous Driving Occasioning Death which is punishable by up to 10 years' gaol.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:16 am

I didn't have a bell yesterday, so I guess the close shave from a car which then stopped waiting for a second go at killing me (despite the bright flashing light at the back) was my fault. :roll:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:02 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:https://www.facebook.com/nswpoliceforce/posts/10152589724906185

Witnesses say the driver was on the wrong side of the road, possibly drag racing (well known on that road). Charged with serious offences. What a sad day.

Page has been pulled.

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:11 pm

It's interesting to see the effect Facebook is having in the legal system. We had a case here recently where a bit of a vigilante group was set up to campaign against someone who was facing charges. It caused that person great distress and they were able to use it in court as a reason to grant an appeal against an earlier conviction.

I like some aspects of the way it is being used to get information out there, but it gets hijacked by mob mentality and in the end can do more harm than good. I'm not sure it's a great idea the Police having a Facebook page where members of the public can comment on something like this.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:25 pm

The cyclist killed was a former work colleague ... terrific and popular bloke who'd always kept himself fit and healthy.
Thoughts and prayers are with his family.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:50 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 7113716107

This from 6th Nov. Although I haven't been on that road for >5 years, I can see how it can be seen as an alternative to the highly policed Old Pacific Highway.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:06 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/its-the-fast-and-the-furious-pittwater-style-as-mccarrs-creek-rd-sees-increased-drag-racing-and-drifting/story-fngr8hax-1227113716107

This from 6th Nov. Although I haven't been on that road for >5 years, I can see how it can be seen as an alternative to the highly policed Old Pacific Highway.

Thanks for that ... the fatality was forseeable
Mr Bowtell said residents were bracing for a fatal accident.

“We have drift drag racing, recreational cyclists … and tourists all sharing that road,” Mr Bowtell said. “It’s a perfect storm … the big accident is about to happen.”

If the offender was drifting, RMS needs to do something urgently. Like putting speed bumps or rumble strips on approach to the drifters favorite corners.

Until then, maybe police might step up patrols for a while and create a transient break in the hooning behavior. But after a while,
if there is no more permanent restraint put on the drifting, cyclists might need to reappraise the safey of riding that way ...
lest they be the next fatality.
WombatK

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:32 am

SmellyTofu wrote:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/its-the-fast-and-the-furious-pittwater-style-as-mccarrs-creek-rd-sees-increased-drag-racing-and-drifting/story-fngr8hax-1227113716107

I've become quite reluctant to ride the Old Pacific Highway, especially on Sundays. Despite the regular police presence, the number of motorcyclists and suped-up car nuts taking chances is frightening. There was a cyclist killed at Cowan a year or so back, thought to have been clipped by a drag racing motorcyclist.

I was a keen to see speed cameras - like the one between St Ives and Killara on Arterial Road - put in place. But somehow I don't think this will stop them. I needs to be speed humps. Good solution for McCarrs Ck road as well.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:54 am

rearviewmirror wrote:Negligence in the handling of a motor vehicle should be a criminal offence. RIP fellow cyclist

It is. In many ways.

Negligent driving.
Negligent driving causing GBH
Negligent Driving causing death
Dangerous driving causing GBH
Dangerous driving causing death

etc etc....

No doubt if the investigation shows the driver was at fault, criminal action will be taken.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:01 am

GAV!N you are correct but a bit behind the times
wombatK wrote:From NSW Police
The 17-year-old provisional driver was issued with a Future Court Attendance Notice for the offences of dangerous driving occasioning death and negligent driving occasioning death.

His licence was also suspended by police.

He is due to appear in a children’s court on Monday 19 January 2015.

... where he'll be roundly beaten by the lightest feather they can find.

Well, at least his license was suspended. Not that I'd expect that stops anyone from driving.
Dangerous driving occasioning death (max gaol 10 years) and negligent driving occasioning death (max gaol 18 months) are alternative charges - a person can only be convicted of one.

If it can be proven that the driver was on the wrong side of the road and speeding, it appears to me that the appropriate charge would be aggravated dangerous driving (max gaol 14 years)

I would like to disagree with wombatK's comments, but I fear he may be right.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:29 am

Spaniel wrote:I've become quite reluctant to ride the Old Pacific Highway, especially on Sundays. Despite the regular police presence, the number of motorcyclists and suped-up car nuts taking chances is frightening. There was a cyclist killed at Cowan a year or so back, thought to have been clipped by a drag racing motorcyclist.

I was a keen to see speed cameras - like the one between St Ives and Killara on Arterial Road - put in place. But somehow I don't think this will stop them. I needs to be speed humps. Good solution for McCarrs Ck road as well.

Speed cameras does nothing except slow down law abiding citizens at that point of the road and does not save lives as it catches people after the fact.

Ripple strips before the corner entry and exits would suffice to upset the vehicle balance at 8/10ths commonly used in Japan to deter such activities.

The OPH I too would avoid as I was one of those kids who drove within the speed limit (80 was already doing well in some of those tight corners as going fast in a straight line is so overrated) but only at 9pm or something.