Fernleigh Track post-storm

gorilla monsoon

Fernleigh Track post-storm

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:21 am

Anyone had a look at Fernleigh Track since Wednesday and able to report on damage, tree blockages and the like?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Quency

Re: Fernleigh Track post-storm

Postby Quency » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:58 am

I saw this posted in a facebook group
http://marathonbarbie.com/2015/04/22/fe ... rm-damage/
in a pretty bad state by the look of it. not sure if it has been cleaned up at all since then. I don't imagine it's a high priority with trees on roads and power outages still in effect.
I was planning on heading that way tomorrow morning to assess. can report after

Yerolo

Postby Yerolo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:48 pm

I rode down there today and entered at the Whitebridge entrance....there are are large trees blocking the track in both directions. Bikes and walkers can't even transverse the blockages, could be like this for a while.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:14 pm

There is a large amount of debris and fallen trees at various locations along the Fernleigh Track. We recommend that you avoid the area over the next few days as our crews won’t be able to clear this location until sometime next week.
We will provide an update once this area has been cleared. Please share with friends or family who regularly use this facility.
From LMCC Facebook page. Anyone got a chainsaw?

Edit: oops, wrong paste selection.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:59 pm

Quency wrote:I saw this posted in a facebook group
http://marathonbarbie.com/2015/04/22/fe ... rm-damage/
in a pretty bad state by the look of it. not sure if it has been cleaned up at all since then. I don't imagine it's a high priority with trees on roads and power outages still in effect.
I was planning on heading that way tomorrow morning to assess. can report after
Ooohhh.... That doesn't look good. I was going to suggest a working bee but I don't think my little Ozito chainsaw and Bunnings wheelbarrow is up to that!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:58 am

Just had word that the crew started cleaning the track yesterday... and cleared 400m. So a way to go yet.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Hmmm.... think I'll stay away for a week or two.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Good call. Some photos in the Herald today. Article Crews are working at it, but very slow going to make everything safe (at least from LMCC end)

Edit: Cleared from Belmont to Redhead Oval, apparently the hard work starts from there though with lots of big trees down up to Burwood rd.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:02 pm

Anyone planning to ride on the Lake Macquarie path should also note that there are still trees down across the track near the Esplanande and Fairfax Road traffic lights (opposite the butchers' shop) - as of late afternoon April 29, at least. Don't know about the rst of it.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:13 pm

There are plenty of trees down, but they have been removed from the path and pushed to the side AFAIK. All the debris washed up on the path has been cleared as well. I rode last Friday and they had cleared most of it.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri May 01, 2015 4:57 pm

Yes, took a look at it today. Pretty good clean-up job.

newie

Postby newie » Tue May 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Reports are that Fernleigh is clear enough to ride. With the nice weather we have forecast ahead for the next week, looks like it's time to get back out there.
If only someone would sort out the tree still blocking the track up to the uni (near the Jesmond roundabout). I used the NCC online form to notify them of that one today. They've done a pretty good job elsewhere, so figure somehow that one has been overlooked. The Newcastle Voice newsletter that came through today said that we had lost 10% of the trees in the city to the storm. They were down everywhere on campus here, have spent the last couple of weeks working to the sounds of chainsaws and woodchippers :) .

Yerolo

Postby Yerolo » Wed May 06, 2015 5:48 pm

newie wrote:Reports are that Fernleigh is clear enough to ride. With the nice weather we have forecast ahead for the next week, looks like it's time to get back out there.
I've rode on it yesterday from Whitebridge - Adamstown and today Whitebridge - Redhead. The Redhead leg was great and apart from a bit of debris on the track, it was as normal. There was a barrier erected today blocking access from Whitebridge - Adamstown as the crews were there clearing alot of the large trees off the track(yesterday they were not there, so I was able to ride up there). Apart from one large tree I had to duck under, the track was fine to Adamstown. There was a barrier erected at Kahibah station, blocking entry from Burwood Rd...but noone was taking any notice of it (as the people heading from the other direction had no barriers)

Long story short....it looks like they are just finalising a few bits and pieces, but it is almost back to normal. There are sections where the metal fencing has been smashed by fallen trees and in those cases, there are temporary barriers set up, but they are not impeding access along the track

The crews are doing a great job and I let them know while I was out there today.

newie

Postby newie » Sat May 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Thanks for the update Yerolo. I went down there this morning. Gorgeous day for it. There were a couple of guys working on some trees, but it was all clear getting through. I imagine there'll be people working on it for some time to come. I was a bit surprised how quiet it was. I wonder whether people think it might be still blocked or whether it's just the morning chill keeping them away.

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sat May 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Just came here to say the same thing!

Back from a ride, and it's the clearest it's been in a long time. Fantastic day for it too.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue May 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Agree. Newcastle and lake Mac councils have done a good job of getting it back in shape. Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed that wooden bridge wasn't damaged enough to be replaced. It gives me the heebie-jeebies, especially w3hen it is wet and slippery.