Gorges Ride

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:44 pm

Will confirm later in the week. If I come along I think I might drive to Don's as well to start so I do exactly the same ride as you guys :).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

sandman

Postby sandman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Boognoss wrote:Will confirm later in the week. If I come along I think I might drive to Don's as well to start so I do exactly the same ride as you guys :).
Booger, Say What is this if ? Are you soft ? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What's this " If I come along" stuff.....
Last edited by sandman on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:34 pm

sandman wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Will confirm later in the week. If I come along I think I might drive to Don's as well to start so I do exactly the same ride as you guys :).
Booger, Say What is this if ? Are you soft ? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think Simon has been told today :wink: :D

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:38 pm

sandman wrote:
Booger, Say What is this if ? Are you soft ? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, yes I am :oops: . Soft but with a very shiny Avanti Corsa :-P.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:43 pm

sandman wrote:
leximack wrote:
dancindan wrote:So who else in here is gearing up for this. Looking forward to a few good hills, had the weekend off the bike last week.
i am doing it on Sat 20th, time and attendees TBC
Don

BMX Bandito and myself will be at your house at 7:00am. You're the tour leader, we're just the Super Domestiques so hope you know where we're going :-)

Pete
i have no idea Pete, will have my little google map and thats about it, will hope for the best :wink:

sandman

Postby sandman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Sandman casually strolls past Booger and whispers "You're soft mate" and keeps walking :-) Booger stops, gnashes his shiny white teeth and ponders " Hmm, do I ride and just get into more trouble at home like the rest of the guys or do I stay home and mow the lawn and try to win the wife over ". Booger stops thinking and says..........................

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Drumroll

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:04 pm

"Yes Dear" :lol:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:21 pm

Bah, the lot of you ;)

sandman

Postby sandman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Luv ya Booger ( In a Bloke way of course! )

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:28 pm

sandman wrote:Luv ya Booger ( In a Bloke way of course! )
I'll hassle you in person tomorrow :-).

sandman

Postby sandman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Well we're off tomorrow at 7:00am from Quakers Hill heading for the 4 Gorges, so far its Leximack, BMX Bandito and myself. Supposedly going to be 31c, ugh its going to get a tad hot ! Hope the legs hold up for the 4 suckers, taking the Scott so it will be like pushing bricks up hills again :-) Taking a camera so we can capture those "hurt" moments :-) Pie in the Sky I hear is at the top of the 2nd climb, I hope my body doesnt decide to reject it on climb 3 :shock:

Cheers..Pete

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:11 pm

Enjoy the ride guys. I expect a full report with pics Sat night :)

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:27 pm

should be a good one, really looking forward to it, going to be really, really hot though. Will be good for my tan :wink:

leximack

Postby leximack » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:29 pm

booger is not coming, he forgot to buy his kleenex and does not want to enter the hurtbox without them :lol: :lol:

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:55 pm

leximack wrote:booger is not coming, he forgot to buy his kleenex and does not want to enter the hurtbox without them :lol: :lol:
Buy him some for his pressie this afternoon. Tie a nice bow around it made of cat5 :lol:

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:08 pm

4 Gorges Ride is now complete. Was me, Pete, Jeff and Sandy.
Sandy did the loop from galston, the rest of us rode from Quakers Hill.
Quick update as i have to go out, 126km, average of just under 27km/h, 1900m of climbing.
I have to say that the gorges were not what i expected, i thought they would be huge climbs of 4 or 5km each with bone tearing gradients, how wrong was i, they were 4km long but only at 5 or 6%, no need for granny gears here, no standing and stomping onthe pedals either, just a cruisy seated spin to the top. When combined all together it does make for lots of climbing, but i wouldnt biother going just for one or 2 gorges.
Pie in the sky was great, good service, lots of people there.
I think i will try it again but the opposite way and see if that is any harder. I was hoping to get my legs ripped off, definately tougher climbs in the blue mountains by far. Yes they are good, but if i want hill climbing practice, its not where i will be heading.
Was a great day out, nice weather, abit hot after 10am but bearable, lots of headwind which slowed us down especially for the last 20km. The scenery was fantastic, Pete has some pictures which he will post later, mainly of us sitting and chatting at various points.
Thanks Jeff, Pete and Sandy, it was a great day out.

Don

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Well done. I needed a dose of HTFU for a North Sydney return ride today so I'm glad I didn't go with you guys. Not enough legs or energy in the tank.....

Glad you had a good ride though ;-).

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:00 pm

I clocked 85K's on the loop at 24.15. In my book it was "an adequate sufficiency" and I feel no overwhelming urge to rush out and join Zozza for a quick "50" down to Liz Dr and back this evening. Nothing personal Zoz!!
What sort of klicks were you guys doing coming back down Glenhaven Rd, that would have pumped up the average I reckon?
Thanks for a great day out guys. Glad I hung around for the full loop. I would have felt that I'd cheated myself had I not stayed with you. Thanks to Jeff for giving me a "wheel" on a couple of occasions on the Bobbin Head loop. Much appreciated.
I just worry what Sandman might have in the HurtBox to further test the old fella.
NFS

jr1991

Postby jr1991 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:27 pm

Congrats
did you blokes climb east out of berowra ferry up to hornsby. The early parts of that climb look fairly scary.
The gorges is a ride i'd love to do one day
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:28 pm

Sandy - my average speed is calculated on moving time, so if i finish a hill climb 2 mins before you then my average will be better. Do this 10 times and suddenly i have 20mins less riding time then you, hence a better average.
You done well today, really powered up those hills, well done, you deserve a HTFU band.
I struggled for the last 10kms, from around kellyville way, headwind got stronger and just wanted to get home. It was a good day though

Don

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:32 pm

jr1991 wrote:Congrats
did you blokes climb east out of berowra ferry up to hornsby. The early parts of that climb look fairly scary.
The gorges is a ride i'd love to do one day
i think we did, i think this was the first gorge we tackled, we went through galston then down to the ferry, across the ferry and then up the other side, gradient on this one was not bad, plus it was the first one we did, so we were nie and fresh.
Galston Gorge coming from Hornsby to Galston was the steepest out of the lot i think, but probably the shortest, tougher than the others as it was the 4th one we were climbing.
Its a good ride, was very busy out there, riders everywhere.

Don

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Sounds like you guys had a fun day. Some decent k's too.

sandman

Postby sandman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:30 pm

Hi Guys

Will be posting some graphs when our master DNS server gets on the air this evening as I cant resolve any hostnames for our boxes !

Overall the ride was good to experience something else, met some new people and checked out some different climbs. We did notice in particular there were HEAPS of riders out, something a little different from being in Penrith. As Don commented the climbs weren't lung busters, they were around 4km in length. 3 climbs touched around 220m and the other a little less. Basically once you got into a good tempo you just rode up the things.

Total distance was around the 125km mark from Quakers Hill. Even though Sandy is not currently protected by a HTFU band, he rode like a trojan and has a nice grease mark on the back of his leg from the big chainring :-) Fortunately Don, Jeff and myself have HTFU bands which allow us to recieve "instructions from Chopper" whenever we thought about changing to an easier gear :-)

As for a harder ride, I think we should stop in and catchup with Bnej for a cuppa in Blackheath and go and have a play in Megalong Valley again, there is some serious hurtbox material up there.

Cheers..Pete

sandman

Postby sandman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Ok, here is the data boys n girls :-)

Here is the sport tracks ride detail

http://illmayer.com/cycling/myCycle20-09-2008.html

Images can be found here

From what I can see from the power plugin:

1st Climb out of Berowra waters sat in between 300-400W
2nd Climb out of the Hawkesbury river sat around 250-350W
3rd Climb out of Bobbin Head sat solid from 280-400W
4th Climb out of Galston Gorge was around 300-350W

Power data was from the Sport Tracks Power plugin. Unfortunately data is very raw and not smoothed so I'm having to average visually. it could be way out, no idea...

Cheers..pete