Cycling from Windsor to Wisemans Ferry

thomas1987

Cycling from Windsor to Wisemans Ferry

Postby thomas1987 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:25 am

I was thinking of cycling from Windsor to Wisemans Ferry and back following this route.

http://www.david-noble.net/cycling/Hawk ... opMap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just wondering is this the best route for minimal traffic? What is the traffic like during the week and on the weekends? What is the best time to ride?

zebee

Re: Cycling from Windsor to Wisemans Ferry

Postby zebee » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:05 am

A sadly now defunct site (http://www.cycleaustralia.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; can be found on web.archive.org) had this one
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 4aa4a81c53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which looks similar in the Windsor/Wisemans bit and says

======
Altitude variation and climbs: Most of the trip lies between sea level and 50m above sea level and is flat or gently undulating. There are two main climbs: (1) between Sackville Ferry and Carina (100m ascent followed by descent), and (2) between Lower Mangrove and Brooklyn (about 300m ascent and descent).

Time: This tour could be done in one day (as I did it). However, there is plenty to see and do and people looking for a leisurely three or four day trip will not be disappointed.

Traffic conditions: Traffic is light throughout most of the trip. The only heavy traffic encountered was between Windsor and Wilberforce (where there is a reasonable shoulder for cycling). Traffic will be busier during hotter holiday periods and long weekends. Even so, I have cycled part of the tripon an Easter weekend traffic was not heavy.

Road Surface: The road is sealed most of the way. There are sections of unsealed road between Sackville Ferry and Wisemans Ferry, but the quality is good and duration short.
======

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:39 pm

thomas1987 wrote:I was thinking of cycling from Windsor to Wisemans Ferry and back following this route.

http://www.david-noble.net/cycling/Hawk ... opMap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just wondering is this the best route for minimal traffic? What is the traffic like during the week and on the weekends? What is the best time to ride?
The route you have marked via lower portland is the one I've done, as zebee has stated, the traffic is heavy to Wilberforce but there's a shoulder and light after that. There's a small amount of gravel that's hardly worth mentioning, it was no issue on 23c race tyres
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info, I can confirm all the info mentioned above to be correct because I actually just came back from cycling there. Went back the same way as I found River Rd to be enjoyable with undulating hills and minimal traffic. I'm actually impressed with this route, was way better than I expected. Will visit again!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi thomas1987

An option for doing a loop ride is to follow the north/west side of the river from Sackville via Lower Portland to the Webbs Creek Ferry at Wisemans Ferry. This road is sealed until 'Juniors on Hawkesbury' and then easy gravel after that (similar to River Rd). Very little traffic on this road compared to the main road via Cattai/South Maroota which also has a fair few trucks.

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:25 pm

wellington_street wrote:Hi thomas1987

An option for doing a loop ride is to follow the north/west side of the river from Sackville via Lower Portland to the Webbs Creek Ferry at Wisemans Ferry. This road is sealed until 'Juniors on Hawkesbury' and then easy gravel after that (similar to River Rd). Very little traffic on this road compared to the main road via Cattai/South Maroota which also has a fair few trucks.
I went and rode to Wiseman's Ferry again yesterday and tried to find a loop. Ended up doing River Rd then coming back I took the Webbs Creek ferry across then rode back to Windsor station via Bicentenary Rd and Greens Rd crossing back to the other side via the Lower Portland Ferry. I disagree with your comment about the easy gravel. Holy crap, wish someone would have warned me about the conditions of the road on the other side. Mostly gravel slippery road, going up and down was not fun especially with my road bike. There was some points where I had to walk my bike because it looked too dodgy. Like this one

https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-33.414 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't want to risk it especially when I was riding solo out in the middle of nowhere. But still had a great ride. I think it's the best place to cycle in Sydney, anyone else have any other places to rival the Hawkesbury River?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:54 am

Sorry to hear that thomas1987 - last time I was through there (late 2015) the gravel was in good condition but you will get variances with weather etc.

I'm not sure you will trust my recommendations after that experience but another good loop might be:
Windsor > Sackville > West Portland Rd > Lower Colo Rd (good gravel alongside the river) > Upper Colo Rd (part sealed / part good gravel along the river) > Comleroy Rd (gravel, very steep climb out of the Colo River valley, then steep descent to Wheeney Creek, then steep climb again to the Kurrajong Plateau) > a few options to get back to Windsor, e.g. via East Kurrajong Rd/Glossodia/Creek Ridge Rd.

Google maps link

I haven't ridden this loop, only driven, so might be worth some street view or driving investigation before riding on a road bike...

if the gravel is not suitable or the route too long, you could do a shorter sealed loop via Sackville > West Portland Rd > Packer Rd > Blaxlands Ridge Rd then back via East Kurrajong Rd, Glossodia and Freemans Reach. That's probably ~50km.

thomas1987

Postby thomas1987 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I had a look at some parts of this track with google streetview, looks like I should take my mountain bike instead.

This section looks beautiful with the little church
https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-33.424 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nice countryside with plenty of shade
https://www.google.com.au/maps/(AT)-33.422 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hunch

Postby hunch » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:23 pm

Not quite Wiseman's, may pay to look out for a silver Au Falcon sedan with personalized plates around Windsor...seems to be heading towards Freeman's Reach each time I've encountered him. I'd be willing to consider it ignorance or carelessness once, but being shaved by this nimrod a few times now, it's certainly intentional....and I suspect I'm not the only one he's doing it to.

Seems a camera may be a requirement from now on - and see if plod steps up.