Northern Beaches - Manly, Akuna, Westhead, Palm Beach

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Northern Beaches - Manly, Akuna, Westhead, Palm Beach

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:41 am

One or more locals installed a makeshift speedbump on McCarrs creek road. On Thursday a big bunch came upon it at 5am sending a number of riders off including damage and hospitalisation.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/car ... 4zzem.html
Cycling is in my BNA

hunch

Postby hunch » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:04 am

Sparx wrote:Not sure if this has been posted anywhere - NB cycleway/walkway project open for comment.

https://northernbeaches.mysocialpinpoin ... nnectingnb#/
Very short notice, there's drop-in sessions today regarding the Newport to Avalon section. Newport one is finishing in minutes, but the Avalon will run from 12 to 1:30pm at Avalon Beach reserve. Online input closes on the 2nd.

https://yoursay.northernbeaches.nsw.gov ... ernBeaches

Artist's depiction of the shared path is a bit optimistic, everyone keeping left, no meandering brown cow groups and dogs not on extendable leads! Funny Drunken's and 'arold's 1m recommended passing distances would seem not to be taken into account judging by the path widths shown.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:02 pm

For the last few years a few friends and I have done a 2 or 3 day ride around the Hunter Valley area in the first week of the new year.

This year we were thinking of perhaps doing a two day ride from Newcastle to Sydney, but not the usual Pacific Highway route. We were thinking of heading down the central coast, catching the Ferry across to Palm Beach, then riding into Sydney proper. We are thinking of around the 3rd and 4th of January.

Now the Newcastle to Central coast shouldn't be an issue (I do Newcastle - The Entrance return several times a year, this isn't that much further and I think I can track a route from The Entrance ok), but I don't think I have ever been in Palm Beach, let alone ridden there.

Someone has suggested this route, just looking for anyone with first hand experience. I have never ridden in Sydney and am not all that keen to battle the cars on Pittwater road.

https://www.nswcoastcycle.com/brooklyn-manly/

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:19 pm

AUbicycles wrote:One or more locals installed a makeshift speedbump on McCarrs creek road. On Thursday a big bunch came upon it at 5am sending a number of riders off including damage and hospitalisation.

Has this been removed? I was thinking of heading up that way - but not if these traps are still there.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:38 pm

g-boaf wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:One or more locals installed a makeshift speedbump on McCarrs creek road. On Thursday a big bunch came upon it at 5am sending a number of riders off including damage and hospitalisation.

Has this been removed? I was thinking of heading up that way - but not if these traps are still there.
Yes, it's gone. I've ridden it probably 3 or 4 times - I can't tell where it was.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:43 pm

trailgumby wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Yes, it's gone. I've ridden it probably 3 or 4 times - I can't tell where it was.
Thanks. :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:53 pm

g-boaf wrote:Thanks. :)
You're very welcome. :)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm

An email from the Northern Beaches council asking for community contributions

"Help us create a better cycling network on the Northern Beaches. Share your ideas on what's needed online."

They are sending viewers to the interactive map where you drop 'pins' to highlight locations and you can add a comment.
https://northernbeaches.mysocialpinpoin ... -bike-plan#/

Add as much as you can, and also 'LIKE' other comments to increase the show of support.

This mapping shows the draft proposed cycling network for discussion only. This cycling network mapping is work in progress and may be amended following community engagement.

The draft mapping shows two cycling networks:

Safe Cycling Network - Consisting mainly of off-road shared paths and cycleways. Designed for everyday people riding short trips

Road Cycling Network - Showing popular routes used by road cyclists and commuters.

Use the pins to identify and make comments on:

The Safe Cycling Network. Where are paths needed, better road crossings or improvements are required.
The Road Cycling Network. Where are the danger areas or where improvements are required.
Bicycle parking. Where should parking be added or improved.
General Comments. Anything else related to bicycle riding on the Northern Beaches.
Cycling is in my BNA

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:21 pm

AUbicycles wrote:An email from the Northern Beaches council asking for community contributions

"Help us create a better cycling network on the Northern Beaches. Share your ideas on what's needed online."

They are sending viewers to the interactive map where you drop 'pins' to highlight locations and you can add a comment.
https://northernbeaches.mysocialpinpoin ... -bike-plan#/

Add as much as you can, and also 'LIKE' other comments to increase the show of support.

This mapping shows the draft proposed cycling network for discussion only. This cycling network mapping is work in progress and may be amended following community engagement.

The draft mapping shows two cycling networks:

Safe Cycling Network - Consisting mainly of off-road shared paths and cycleways. Designed for everyday people riding short trips

Road Cycling Network - Showing popular routes used by road cyclists and commuters.

Use the pins to identify and make comments on:

The Safe Cycling Network. Where are paths needed, better road crossings or improvements are required.
The Road Cycling Network. Where are the danger areas or where improvements are required.
Bicycle parking. Where should parking be added or improved.
General Comments. Anything else related to bicycle riding on the Northern Beaches.
Done. Added a few things, liked a few, disliked a few. At least it made me feel good, wonder what will be taken on board. There's a lot of pie in the sky stuff on there about new pieces of infra...

Jim

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:39 pm

I know it is a new council and stuff but enough with asking about what the bike plans should be and just get on with it. This must be what the Warringah Bike Plan version 8? Hard to keep putting up comments when you have been doing so for so long.
THE BEST WAY for council to really understand the issues is for the Councillors and staff to get on bikes and ride with the locals.

Warringah’s bike plan was prepared in 1998, however since adoption of that plan there have been significant changes in the way cycling facilities are provided. Much of these changes are reflected in the new RTA Cycling Guidelines.
The overall aims of the plan are:
The formulation of a Bike Plan, to update previous ad hoc planning actions, in order to formulate and prioritise future infrastructure to provide for and encourage bike use.
The aims reflect the plans outcomes of identifying routes, treatments and signage. The bicycle parking strategy is very general in its outcomes and has had minimal implementation. (Apart from schools where the demand would be recognised anyway)

from about page 177 will cover most of the old Warringah area.....
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... GdoOyXjZI3

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:33 am

Anyone know what happened at West Head on 09/02/2019?

Riding out of West Head on Saturday morning
Multiple cops, ambos and fire trucks came flying past heading back towards the lookout, seemed pretty major

Had a look online back couldn’t find anything

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:21 pm

From the Northern Beaches Council - community comments are invited on Guidelines for the Bike Share Operators: https://yoursay.northernbeaches.nsw.gov ... guidelines

Here is an additional link for the Northern Beaches Bike Plan:
https://yoursay.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/bike_plan

That has a bit more info and also timeframe.
Cycling is in my BNA

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:26 am

Anyone see the motorcycle accident on West Head this morning? Police closed the road off as paramedics worked to save a riders life. I went past as they were performing CPR and the heli was coming in.

Bad news...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:15 am

Fresh wrote:Anyone see the motorcycle accident on West Head this morning? Police closed the road off as paramedics worked to save a riders life. I went past as they were performing CPR and the heli was coming in.

Bad news...
This motorcyclist had died as reported from Police news.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:48 pm

This might have been covered elsewhere but I noticed speed humps have been marked out for installation on McCarrs Ck Rd between Church Pt and the start of the National Park. A quick Google search found this article.

https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/ ... creek-road

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:56 pm

biker jk wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:48 pm
This might have been covered elsewhere but I noticed speed humps have been marked out for installation on McCarrs Ck Rd between Church Pt and the start of the National Park. A quick Google search found this article.

Do you think this is a good thing? ie slow down the cars and traffic, or a bad thing? ie dangerous for bikes

From a bike riders perspective there are definitely good and bad speed humps. The best ones have sections allowing for bikes to pass without encountering the hump at all. The worst ones are the almost triangular profile ones that almost throw you off your bike :roll:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:58 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:56 pm
biker jk wrote:

Do you think this is a good thing? ie slow down the cars and traffic, or a bad thing? ie dangerous for bikes

From a bike riders perspective there are definitely good and bad speed humps. The best ones have sections allowing for bikes to pass without encountering the hump at all. The worst ones are the almost triangular profile ones that almost throw you off your bike :roll:
I suspect that the hoons will just accelerate between speed humps so close passing at a higher speed.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Adopted!!!

What’s wheelie good about our new Bike Plan?

https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/ ... arn%20more

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:44 pm

biker jk wrote:

I was consulted on this by the Road Safety Officer and gave some feedback on the plan. We rode through this morning. Have to say I'm not pleased with the execution. They're quite harsh to ride over unless you bunny hop and we were having a bit of a whinge about them amongst ourselves. I was expecting they'd have a better profile, like the original one with the concrete apron.

Thoughts from anyone else?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 pm

baabaa wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:59 pm
Adopted!!!

What’s wheelie good about our new Bike Plan?

https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/ ... arn%20more
What are your thoughts on the comments made by the cyclist?

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:45 am

Was just a bit of PR spin really and expect that I would struggle with the same question...But I thought pretty good for what is now such a vast council footprint. Dunno been such a long time coming and don't think it really matters?
No doubt a little bit of hard top linking seaforth oval to bantry bay road, using the now rough firetrail next to the rock carvings makes a lot of sense to get people off Wakehurst Pathway. The rock carving as pretty special and now need better protection so a combo bike and ped path may work. (The more people see of these important sites, the more they care). Could also give better access to people who wish to ride the Manly Dam so they could park away from Wakehurst?

39x25

Postby 39x25 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:17 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:44 pm
biker jk wrote:

I was consulted on this by the Road Safety Officer and gave some feedback on the plan. We rode through this morning. Have to say I'm not pleased with the execution. They're quite harsh to ride over unless you bunny hop and we were having a bit of a whinge about them amongst ourselves. I was expecting they'd have a better profile, like the original one with the concrete apron.

First ride at Akuna via Churchpoint since the speedhumps were installed.

I don't mind the shape as i bunnyhop onto the top anyway.. but those that don't hop won't like it.

My issue is with the location only at the residential areas... while i understand the locals don't want the hoons around.. the issues in the past often isn't in that area.

Installing speedhumps in national park roads probably has its own set of bureaucratic challenges.

Is there any on Mcarrs crk rd between Gen San Martin Dr and West head road ? didnt ride that section today.

Not sure just adding speedhumps is the answer either.. but then again adding the humps isn't to help cyclists.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:43 pm

39x25 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:17 pm
trailgumby wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:44 pm

First ride at Akuna via Churchpoint since the speedhumps were installed.

I don't mind the shape as i bunnyhop onto the top anyway.. but those that don't hop won't like it.

My issue is with the location only at the residential areas... while i understand the locals don't want the hoons around.. the issues in the past often isn't in that area.

Installing speedhumps in national park roads probably has its own set of bureaucratic challenges.

Is there any on Mcarrs crk rd between Gen San Martin Dr and West head road ? didnt ride that section today.

Not sure just adding speedhumps is the answer either.. but then again adding the humps isn't to help cyclists.
I heard from another rider in our group this morning that there have been a number of broken bikes. Like you I bunny hop but that's my mountain biker heritage. Beginners and those without dirt in their veins are potential casualties.

To answer your question, there are none through the NPWS controlled lands. We did Akuna as an out-and-back today, turning around where it intersects with West Head Rd, and a couple of weeks ago straight down McCarrs to Mona Vale for what we call the Lower 40 Reverse. All good, except for the deteriorating road surface, which is getting rougher and was quite slippy in some of the corners today.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:36 pm

The speed bumps are a pita. Not bike friendly at all.

philip

Postby philip » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:34 pm

I rode down McCarrs and through Church Point recently and came across these new bumps, they are really terrible.The shape of them make them very harsh if you don't bunnyhop. I can see them causing accidents.