Northern Beaches - Manly, Akuna, Westhead, Palm Beach

Sparx

Re: Northern Beaches - Manly, Akuna, Westhead, Palm Beach

Postby Sparx » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:38 pm

Terrible news, condolences to family and friends.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:17 pm

I don't ride there anymore, it has become so dangerous. Also this is the silly season for cars. Before Christmas, everyone shopping rushing. Very sad and upsetting. So sorry for the family, what a waste of a life. After my accident I just stay in National parks and cycle ways. Just to reduce the volume of cars. Rest in peace young lady.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:18 pm

A tragedy.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Nine news coverage

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/1 ... ydney-road

I'm glad they had the sense to obscure the massive blood smear on the road, unlike The Daily Mail. What has been seen cannot be unseen. :cry:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:20 pm

trailgumby wrote:Nine news coverage

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/1 ... ydney-road

I'm glad they had the sense to obscure the massive blood smear on the road, unlike The Daily Mail. What has been seen cannot be unseen. :cry:
Channel 7 news was also a culprit in that regard. :evil:

Leethal

Postby Leethal » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:30 pm

biker jk wrote:
trailgumby wrote:... I'm glad they had the sense to obscure the massive blood smear on the road, unlike The Daily Mail. What has been seen cannot be unseen. :cry:
Channel 7 news was also a culprit in that regard. :evil:
Yes, I saw that also, although maybe some wreckless drivers should as every life matters!

Condolences to the family, although no words will ever be enough to bring their loved one back. :cry:
Road: S-Works Tarmac SL5 eTap
CX: Trek Boone 9, Ultegra mechanical
MTB: Yeti ASRc, XTR Di2

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:23 pm

I think they were triathletes. One of my friends told me the woman was from Canada, a young Doctor working at RNSH.
:cry: :cry: I really feel bad about this one, as it is my area and I almost got involved in similar accident but I saw the car first before he slammed on his breaks on the same road but about 2 km higher. Scary as hell. It was also raining for this group on Sunday morning. Even when you are the ones taking care, things like that happen.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Apple wrote:I think they were triathletes. One of my friends told me the woman was from Canada, a young Doctor working at RNSH.
:cry: :cry:
Oh, and I thought it couldn't get any worse! :cry:

I am so totally disgusted and sickened with the comments on the major media sites blaming the poor woman simply because she had the audacity to die while riding a bike. Almost none taking the driver to task.

I hope her parents don't read the news comments. What an awful country we have become.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:01 am

Man charged over death of young doctor killed in Pymble. The charges are dangerous driving occasioning death (max penalty 10 years gaol), the alternative charge of negligent driving occasioning death (max 18 months gaol & / or $3,300) and not giving his particulars to police (max penalty $2,200)

Yes it annoys me that the journo describes it as a whoopsie.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:02 am

Unfortunately fines in these scenarios are never comparable with the the pain and loss suffered by family and friends.

Concerning is that the driver is also charged with not providing details to the police and though this doesn't change the result of the tragedy, the driver (may have) wanted to escape consequences of causing the death of another person.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:51 am

AUbicycles wrote:Unfortunately fines in these scenarios are never comparable with the the pain and loss suffered by family and friends.
It's certainly the case in Australia. The penalties seem soft compared to comparable Western jurisdictions. A product of our convict heritage?

Leethal

Postby Leethal » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:06 am

AUbicycles wrote:Concerning is that the driver is also charged with not providing details to the police and though this doesn't change the result of the tragedy, the driver (may have) wanted to escape consequences of causing the death of another person.
Likely why the driver continued on for another 20m after hitting the cyclist, i.e. attempted hit and run, as surely the driver couldn't have been travelling that fast immediately after making the right turn off Mona Vale Rd. I truly hope the judicial system enforces the maximum penalties to finally set the precedence that occasioning death on our roads is no longer a trivial matter...
Road: S-Works Tarmac SL5 eTap
CX: Trek Boone 9, Ultegra mechanical
MTB: Yeti ASRc, XTR Di2

joingler

Postby joingler » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi all,
I'm partially hijacking this thread as I don't see it necessary to start a new one.

I'm looking at cycling to the Central Coast from Sydney in a couple of weeks (it'll be on a weekend). To save a bit of time, I was looking at cycling from the city to Palm Beach and then getting the ferry as I won't have time to go out via Brooklyn etc

I'm hoping someone can tell me the best way to get from the CBD to Palm Beach. I'm actually from Canberra so don't know the area particularly well. Would it be worth getting a train to somewhere like Chatswood or Pymble and cycling from there or is it just as easy to go from the CBD?

hunch

Postby hunch » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:06 am

If you're thinking of going from Chatswood via Roseville Bridge and Warringah Rd, I'd make it early...not a particularly pleasant road with often impatient 80k traffic and a fairly long climb, basically to Frenchs Forest. Sport and shopping can have it very busy even on a weekend.

Pymble or Gordon with back streets up to Mona Vale Rd are at least more enjoyable to me....although the recent fatality, might indicate otherwise. The 90kph sections should have shoulders that aren't dug up by now perhaps??

Depending on how much time you have available for the extra 10km(?), CBD or the next 3 or 4 stations after the bridge to go via the Spit isn't too bad, bit of traffic, but slower....I'd also plan to do that early.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:29 am

joingler wrote: I'm looking at cycling to the Central Coast from Sydney in a couple of weeks (it'll be on a weekend). To save a bit of time, I was looking at cycling from the city to Palm Beach and then getting the ferry as I won't have time to go out via Brooklyn etc

I'm hoping someone can tell me the best way to get from the CBD to Palm Beach. I'm actually from Canberra so don't know the area particularly well. Would it be worth getting a train to somewhere like Chatswood or Pymble and cycling from there or is it just as easy to go from the CBD?
If you go early (6am or earlier), then traffic shouldn't be that much of an issue. Later in the day there is more heat too.
You could ride across the bridge, go up the pacific highway, turn right at Mona Vale Rd at Pymble. Continue until you get to Terry Hills, turn off and ride down McCarrs creek rd through Church Point (it then becomes Pittwater Rd). When you get to Barrenjoey Rd, then turn left and go up the Palm Beach.

You'll be fine. It's a good ride.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:00 pm

I'd recommend against the Pacific Highway.

Maybe the Manly Ferry and then ride north along Pittwater Road to Palmy? There are back streets if you want to stay away from Pittwater, but I think you'll be OK that time of the a.m. Just tag onto another group - there will be plenty - and start a conversation. :)

joingler

Postby joingler » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:25 pm

trailgumby wrote:I'd recommend against the Pacific Highway.

Maybe the Manly Ferry and then ride north along Pittwater Road to Palmy? There are back streets if you want to stay away from Pittwater, but I think you'll be OK that time of the a.m. Just tag onto another group - there will be plenty - and start a conversation. :)
Unfortunately I'll be on a mountain bike so I don't see myself being able to keep up with a group.

Thanks for the tip about a Manly Ferry. It's a great idea and didn't think of it.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:47 am

Depends on the group. It can be kind of fun annoying stuck-up roadies by being able to keep up with them on your mtb. ;)

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Damn I was just thinking about hitting this road again in the morning before work once or twice a week. Not too sure now...

On another note, took a ride through Lane Cove National Park the other day and travelling back up to Pacific Highway (Chatswood) was a *****! Especially after 6 wks off the bike. Almost puked when I got up to the top
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:27 pm

McCarrs Ck Rd will be closed January 10-13 between 10am and 3pm.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:44 am

Why? Are they resurfacing the entire thing... or perhaps it is the new upgrade / park house for Church point.
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 am

AUbicycles wrote:Why? Are they resurfacing the entire thing... or perhaps it is the new upgrade / park house for Church point.
Repair works at Church Pt.

http://www.westpittwater.com.au/latestn ... or-repairs

nard dog

Postby nard dog » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Howdy Northern Beaches folk!

I'm planning on riding over to Manly after my usual eastern beaches route on Sunday morning. I never really ride 'over the bridge' so I was looking for some route advice.

I'm guessing Sunday morning would be fine to ride straight down Military Road? Are you able to just ride straight over the spit bridge on the main deck or is there some sort of bike path you have to take? From there is the best route the google one of turning off on Battle blvd doing the loop and taking Sydney rd to Condamine and then following the coast?

Sorry for all the questions or if some of them seem a bit basic. I feel a lot safer when I know the exact route I'm taking!

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Military Rd is all good. You can definitely take the bridge, however there is also a bike path should you not feel comfortable. Battle Blvd is the route you want, and along Sydney Rd as you've said.

It's a good little ride.