Commute from Baulkham Hills to Sydney CBD

smahrff

Commute from Baulkham Hills to Sydney CBD

Postby smahrff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:19 pm

Anyone know the best route from Baulkham Hills to over the harbour bridge?

Planning on going down the M2 until the Lane Cove Tunnel, but don't know the best way to go from there.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

rheicel

Re: Commute from Baulkham Hills to Sydney CBD

Postby rheicel » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 pm

Go all the way to Delhi Rd Exit.
Turn right at Delhi Rd, then cross Epping Rd to enter the bike path to the City via the Harbour bridge. The left tun to the bike path should lead you to the city. All the signs to the city are there that will lead you to the harbour bridge. Note that in North Sydney, you need to ride with cars and streets are usually crowded in the morning! Good luck!

2Wheeler

Postby 2Wheeler » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:51 pm

I commute almost daily on a similar route.

Here is the way I go. You have some options around North Sydney area, but I find this route to be the safest in terms of mixing with traffic.

https://www.strava.com/activities/469763948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the way back is little bit more direct up pacific hwy. Not bad at all as you are mostly in the T3 lane. Just hook right on Herbert st and on to poorly sign posted bike path. If you reach a roundabout, you have gone too far :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/469284465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ed933

Postby ed933 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:39 am

Just a heads up, m2 eastbound between Windsor Rd and Pennant Hills Rd will close very soon. You will have to find a detour!

2Wheeler

Postby 2Wheeler » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:33 am

ed933 wrote:Just a heads up, m2 eastbound between Windsor Rd and Pennant Hills Rd will close very soon. You will have to find a detour!
Yep. Have one mapped out already. Either from Barclay rd (drive first) or ride through Castle Hill rd/Crane rd etc. I have been waiting for the imminent closure since November :)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:03 am

2Wheeler wrote:
ed933 wrote:Just a heads up, m2 eastbound between Windsor Rd and Pennant Hills Rd will close very soon. You will have to find a detour!
Yep. Have one mapped out already. Either from Barclay rd (drive first) or ride through Castle Hill rd/Crane rd etc. I have been waiting for the imminent closure since November :)
Haven't we all :roll: . As nice as it is to have the delay I hate not having an actual date for d-day to plan around......
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:18 am

The signs westbound are indicating closure in February.
The detour is crazy if you trying to access the M7.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:25 am

queequeg wrote:The signs westbound are indicating closure in February.
The detour is crazy if you trying to access the M7.
Despite all indications that eastbound will be closed (new signs covered up at onramp at Windsor Rd, and official report), the most recent news letter still has only a mention of westbound closing. My new standard inbound will be the Crane/Castlewood/Aiken route I think when I don't want to go long. Have to get a bike bus going some days since I'll have loads of riders passing my place ;).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

2Wheeler

Postby 2Wheeler » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:20 pm

How do you find Aiken rd? Especially at the start where its single lane going up hill?
Apart from this section, this route seems doable. It'll definitely add around 10 minutes to my trip, but I guess that's better than drive/park/ride option.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:29 pm

2Wheeler wrote:How do you find Aiken rd? Especially at the start where its single lane going up hill?
Apart from this section, this route seems doable. It'll definitely add around 10 minutes to my trip, but I guess that's better than drive/park/ride option.
I only avoid it now because I prefer the M2 from Windsor Rd but that was my staple route both ways in the dark days of complete M2 banishment. You get a good boost from the small descent immediately after the roundabout and that short section is over in a handful of seconds. I can't recall having a run in with a motorist there at all. As it's pretty wide and at that time of day very little traffic coming the other way.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:35 pm

To save doubling-up I've updated the thread that used to be about the M2 reopening - now it's about the re-closing.....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62275&p=1320410#p1320410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smahrff

Postby smahrff » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:40 pm

Forgot to say thanks for all this info. Thanks. Giving it a crack in the morning (took me a while to get around to it).

Re the closure, I guess I will go through barclay road, north rocks road and then along pennant hills road from north rocks road to the M2. but that hill is going to hurt first thing in the morning.

Sandeep_M

Postby Sandeep_M » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi All,

I am new to this forum but have a similar question on the commute. I am planning to commute from Baulkham Hills to Sydney CBD via M2 using the detour from Windsor Rd. to Penant Hills Rd. How to get onto M@ once you reach penant hills crossing of M2, google doesn't show any bike paths there. Also once in North Sydney, do you have to ride with Cars or is there a dedicated cycle track.

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:42 am

Try looking on
http://opencyclemap.org/?zoom=16&lat=-3 ... yers=B0000
That should show the places where people ride.
Note This is sourced from Open Street Map (OSM).. so looks to be at the moment out of date around Pennant Hills Rd/M2. You can update it yourself by registering with OSM and editing it.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:19 am