Bike Blitz 25/2/16

Gondor

Bike Blitz 25/2/16

Postby Gondor » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:17 am

Hello everyone,

Going on in Sydney CBD is a bike blitz. Cyclists are being stopped in bike lane(s) and being fined for minor things such as no bells, or reflectors.

This FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/helmetc ... 729664070/ shares the locations of cops and what not.

If memory serves correctly, we do need reflectors and bells by law.

Another great and plausible reason to visit the LBS and buy something new :)

Stay safe.

ItsAllnew

Re: Bike Blitz 25/2/16

Postby ItsAllnew » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:40 pm

At 6.30am today ive seen a plain clothe police car with two officers park at entrance to harbour bridge steps.

Then within 60 seconds jumped out to stop a rider who had just ridden through the red lights on Alfred St.

They are getting serious.. with over 100 fines increasing to the level charged to car drivers your morning trip could get expensive. .

Take care..

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:49 pm

saw 2 cops in car (AT) harbour bridge Nth Syd this morning, about 08:15 - looked like they were setting up.
(not unusual for north sydney cops - they'll do nothing for cyclists except fine you for no helmet)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but reflectors are required when you ride at night (white front & red rear) or if you're selling a bicycle (ADR compliance)

queequeg

Bike Blitz 25/2/16

Postby queequeg » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Nate wrote:saw 2 cops in car (AT) harbour bridge Nth Syd this morning, about 08:15 - looked like they were setting up.
(not unusual for north sydney cops - they'll do nothing for cyclists except fine you for no helmet)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but reflectors are required when you ride at night (white front & red rear) or if you're selling a bicycle (ADR compliance)
Only the red reflector is required. The white one, along with the Orange wheel reflectors and/or pedal reflectors must be on the bike when it is sold to you, but can then be removed as they are not needed by the road rules.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:08 pm

I'll be careful to avoid those areas. I prefer my lights to those reflectors. The lights cannot possibly be missed.

I wonder if they'll dare to turn up near race meetings and ping people for no bells or reflectors...

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Reflectors can be on the shoes. Most shoes designed for clipping in have small reflectors in the heel area.

stylo

Postby stylo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:26 pm

This is getting ridiculous. So what's the G O ? Can someone please clarify ?

Riding at night to dawn - no front or rear wheel reflector .. no problem ?

Riding at night to dawn - have rear light (and front) but no rear red reflector .. get fined ? The reflectors on my shoe aren't red, don't even know if they have reflectors on them. I'll check tonight.

Not keen to jump on my bike for a ride and get fined for not having a bell and no rear red reflector !!!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Here's the law regarding bells, lights and reflectors.

258 Equipment on a bicycle

A person must not ride a bicycle that does not have:
(a) at least 1 effective brake, and
(b) a bell, horn, or similar warning device, in working order.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

259 Riding at night

The rider of a bicycle must not ride at night, or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility, unless the bicycle, or the rider, displays:
(a) a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres from the front of the bicycle, and
(b) a flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres from the rear of the bicycle, and
(c) a red reflector that is clearly visible for at least 50 metres from the rear of the bicycle when light is projected onto it by a vehicle’s headlight on low-beam.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

stylo

Postby stylo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks, that's fantastic.

The rule reads clear enough i.e. I interpret it to mean that in addition to having a light at the front and back, a red reflector needs to be affixed to some part of the bike viewed from behind.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:49 pm

stylo wrote:Thanks, that's fantastic.

The rule reads clear enough i.e. I interpret it to mean that in addition to having a light at the front and back, a red reflector needs to be affixed to some part of the bike viewed from behind.
Note that some rear lights have built in reflectors. An example I own is the Cygolite Hotshot.

stylo

Postby stylo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:00 pm

Nice! But possibly something the not-so-nice policeman would contest ? Saying that you need a reflector and not a light + reflector in one.

I'd hazard a guess that the reflector would only be needed when the light doesn't work (flat battery) so at least a car coming from behind has some warning there is a bike ahead of them. But then, said policeman will fine you for not having a functioning rear light :)

westab

Postby westab » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:06 pm

According to the "GO TOGETHER" stuff - they don't want one cent :roll: its all about safety - yeh right. I have three close friends who are police officers of different ranks. I think it's about time I asked them if there is going to be an official blitz on cyclists and also if there has been any information regarding methods to enforce the new not advertised law.

I'm still waiting to see the ads on the mainstream media about the "meter matters" laws - like they have the "ride to live" ads. Do you think I should hold my breath :roll: :shock: :roll:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Given how many fines are set to jump dramatically, a blitz now might be considered a cheap warning compared to the hip pocket damage soon to be inflicted.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:Given how many fines are set to jump dramatically, a blitz now might be considered a cheap warning compared to the hip pocket damage soon to be inflicted.
True but I'll be eagerly awaiting a similar blitz on motorists breaking the minimum passing distance rule. :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:19 pm

biker jk wrote:
stylo wrote:Thanks, that's fantastic.

Note that some rear lights have built in reflectors. An example I own is the Cygolite Hotshot.
All same PDW Radbot.

Standard prismatic reflectors are not worth the plastic they're made of IMO, pathetic useful angle that won't do jack mid corner.

Better some of THIS, a small strip low down around the seatstays will do the job WAY better with little aesthetic impact.

I'm kinda hoping a few overzealous plods try booking some riders for no wheel reflectors then get a spanking in court.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:20 pm

duh - this one is obvious...

When the laws come in & the media is all over how the rest of the world is going the other way & Dunc has no idea...
he'll point out todays blitz & how its "proof" how many cyclists are breaking the law daily.

Expect the front page of the terrorgraph to be quoting figures from today about how many law breaking cyclists there are - all to make sure they have enough noise to drown out their stupidity of the new laws.

Its because we've been making enough positive noise - they need to ramp it up!

westab

Postby westab » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:36 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Standard prismatic reflectors are not worth the plastic they're made of IMO, pathetic useful angle that won't do jack mid corner.

Better some of THIS, a small strip low down around the seatstays will do the job WAY better with little aesthetic impact.

I'm kinda hoping a few overzealous plods try booking some riders for no wheel reflectors then get a spanking in court.
M.B. I agree - I could go into the micro replication that makes it work but it's boring. Needless to say I will use this gear and according to Mrs Westab it grabs attention better than tail lights, including hi vis reflective vests.

Disclaimer - please note I do work for 3M but not in the division that makes this product.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

DojoBuff

Postby DojoBuff » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:09 am

biker jk wrote: 259 Riding at night
(c) a red reflector that is clearly visible for at least 50 metres from the rear of the bicycle when light is projected onto it by a vehicle’s headlight on low-beam.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.[/i]
I don't understand. If this is law then why can bike shops sell a bike without a reflector? I just checked my bike I purchased about a year ago and much to my surprise it has no red reflector. I got two rear lights at the time of purchase but apparently that is not enough to escape a fine. And I was planning to ride across the bridge and through the CBD early Sunday morning when it will be dark.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:25 am

I think there is an exemption for the reflectors/bell for bikes designed for competition use or some similar wording. Ask your lbs they should have a big box of reflectors and bells to give you should you need it. I've got a half dozen or so in the spares kit, stripped from clunkers 'just in case' but mostly for the brackets that might come in handy one day.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Gondor

Postby Gondor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:17 am

Word today is that there will be no cops in the morning, but they will return this afternoon. (26/2/16)

JdM

Postby JdM » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:23 am

bychosis wrote:I think there is an exemption for the reflectors/bell for bikes designed for competition use or some similar wording. Ask your lbs they should have a big box of reflectors and bells to give you should you need it. I've got a half dozen or so in the spares kit, stripped from clunkers 'just in case' but mostly for the brackets that might come in handy one day.
The bell thing provision seems stupid seeing as you cannot ride on the footpath anyway. Say What is a bell going to do out on the road amongst traffic noise.

Shared path, ok maybe. You could still argue it's safer to call out while keeping both hands free to control the bike safely anyway.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:36 am

JdM wrote:
The bell thing provision seems stupid seeing as you cannot ride on the footpath anyway. Say What is a bell going to do out on the road amongst traffic noise.

Shared path, ok maybe. You could still argue it's safer to call out while keeping both hands free to control the bike safely anyway.
I ride a lot on shared paths and a bell is way way way better than calling out. Peds are conditioned to ignore yelling as you get a lot of that as a ped from people who are drunk, aggro, or disturbed. Or just not anything to do with you. A bell is a known noise and they react to it.

(The bell on the Brompton is definitely a bobby-dodger and useless as a warning device. I find I have to yell "ding! ding!" loudly from right behind walkers to get the same reaction as the proper bell on the 'bent gets from well back. Yelling "excuse me" or "bike" or anything else gets no reaction most of the time)

If you can't control your bike with one hand at shared path speeds get the training wheels back on, you are a danger to yourself and others.

Bell is the law, you get to lobby to change the law (good luck...) or you put on a teeny bell and cope with the 10g weight penalty. I am sure you aren't thinking "I will not look like I am a pukka bike racer training for a national race if I have a bell" are you? Even a little bit?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:48 am

The problem is Zebee, by taking that attitude (and the sarcasm against others riders), you are accepting and embracing the law changes, and even indicating your support for these crackdowns. Bells are useless, it is far safer to call out. The bell doesn't tell people where you are and on what side you will pass them. Calling out does. I slow down and call out to people. Even if it means almost track-standing. I won't overtake some people until they've acknowledged that I'm there.
zebee wrote:If you can't control your bike with one hand at shared path speeds get the training wheels back on, you are a danger to yourself and others.
That's a pretty cheap and nasty shot, but it's utterly typical of the tribe mentality of cyclists, fire away with spectacularly nasty insults and then wonder why those you insult aren't nice in return or don't wave when they are riding towards you, or overtaking for that matter. :roll:

Bashing away on the bell should not be an excuse for not slowing down appropriately and giving people a bit of warning that you are passing. It doesn't kill the average speed to do that.

Bourney

Postby Bourney » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:52 am

Funnily enough, I've found that yelling Excuse me (politely) gets a much better reaction than a bell.

Ring a bell and people look up, get confused, walk across the path.

Say excuse me, and they just turn around..

stylo

Postby stylo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:03 pm

I have this to add from the SMH today:

http://beta.smh.com.au/nsw/new-nsw-cycl ... n34fi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Must cyclists carry ID?

From March 1, riders must carry photo ID such as a driver's licence or NSW Photo Card. A photo of your ID on your phone is also acceptable. Police can only ask to see ID if they suspect you have broken another law. The penalty for no ID will be $106 - but will only be enforced from March 2017.