Bike Blitz 25/2/16

g-boaf

Re: Bike Blitz 25/2/16

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:15 pm

stylo wrote:I have this to add from the SMH today:

http://beta.smh.com.au/nsw/new-nsw-cycl ... n34fi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Must cyclists carry ID?

From March 1, riders must carry photo ID such as a driver's licence or NSW Photo Card. A photo of your ID on your phone is also acceptable. Police can only ask to see ID if they suspect you have broken another law. The penalty for no ID will be $106 - but will only be enforced from March 2017.
You'd better not be struggling along or looking out of breath. Or they'll get you for "riding furiously". :twisted: \

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:30 pm

I still fail to see how they're exercising powers legally...

They have the powers to stop a vehicle for the usual offenses (used in a crime, carrying dodgy stuff).
& there's probably a default BS reason here:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... 1/s36.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
36 Power to search vehicles and seize things without warrant
(cf Crimes Act 1900 , ss 357, 357E, Police Powers (Vehicles) Act 1998 , s 10, Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act 1985 , s 37)
(1) A police officer may, without a warrant, stop, search and detain a vehicle if the police officer suspects on reasonable grounds that any of the following circumstances exists:
(f) circumstances exist on or in the vicinity of a public place or school that are likely to give rise to a serious risk to public safety and that the exercise of the powers may lessen the risk.
--> no bell = serious public risk?

BUT
a "vehicle" by definition of the act:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... ml#vehicle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"vehicle" includes a motor vehicle, trailer or other registrable vehicle within the meaning of the Road Transport Act 2013 .
We're not motor vehicles or REGISTRABLE vehicles :\
They cannot stop the vehicle under this act...

Gondor

Postby Gondor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:02 pm

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Last year, 61 pedestrians and seven cyclists died on NSW roads,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

“Cyclists and pedestrians are road users too: All too often police are seeing pedestrians tuned into electronic devices, oblivious to traffic conditions, stepping out onto the road, while cyclists are undertaking risky behaviours putting them at danger of being injured or killed.

So, almost 8 times as many pedestrians were killed vs cyclists, but helmets are only required for cyclists. Hmm.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:28 pm

queequeg wrote:
Last year, 61 pedestrians and seven cyclists died on NSW roads,” Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.

“Cyclists and pedestrians are road users too: All too often police are seeing pedestrians tuned into electronic devices, oblivious to traffic conditions, stepping out onto the road, while cyclists are undertaking risky behaviours putting them at danger of being injured or killed.

So, almost 8 times as many pedestrians were killed vs cyclists, but helmets are only required for cyclists. Hmm.
Or a requirement for pedestrians to carry ID. The other point is the Assistant Commissioner doesn't reveal how many of those cyclists killed or injured were the fault of motorists rather than their own risky behaviour. I'd also like to know why there are no speed cameras in the CBD to enforce the 40kmh limit if the Assistant Commissioner is truly interested in the safety of pedestrians and cyclists.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:46 pm

Numbers booked yesterday

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... MP=soc_567

80 for riding on the footpath. It's dangerous to ride on the footpath, isn't it. How ridiculous

103 for disobeying traffic control lights, including by not dismounting at pedestrian crossings. There's a number of bike paths that cross streets where the lanten's haven't been updated to include bicycles. Booking for that is simply a technicality, all in the course of reaching targets.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:07 am

mikesbytes wrote:all in the course of reaching targets.
Yup, get the stats up so we can check it again when the new laws come in and we'll all rejoice at how well they are working.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:46 pm

g-boaf wrote:The problem is Zebee, by taking that attitude (and the sarcasm against others riders), you are accepting and embracing the law changes,
The requirement for a bell is not a change, it has always been there and you were always liable to be prosecuted for it. THe steep rise in fines is different.
g-boaf wrote:Bells are useless, it is far safer to call out. The bell doesn't tell people where you are and on what side you will pass them. Calling out does. I slow down and call out to people. Even if it means almost track-standing. I won't overtake some people until they've acknowledged that I'm there.
As stated, that is a very differnt experience to mine in every respect. I commute daily on paths and a bicycle is my main transport. I find a bell is far from useless, people seem to manage very well indeed when I use it. When I tried without, they didn't react at all well, usually ignoring me. "why don't you have a bell" was quite a common reaction.

zebee wrote:If you can't control your bike with one hand at shared path speeds get the training wheels back on, you are a danger to yourself and others.
g-boaf wrote:That's a pretty cheap and nasty shot, but it's utterly typical of the tribe mentality of cyclists, fire away with spectacularly nasty insults and then wonder why those you insult aren't nice in return or don't wave when they are riding towards you, or overtaking for that matter. :roll:
Really? When someone uses the excuse they they can't control their bike with one hand so they can't use a bell, my reaction is still to say that they are clearly not skilled enough to be riding the bike at the speeds they are riding at. It was me calling out a rubbish excuse and I stand by it. IT was not a nervous novice worried, it was someone who was trying to find a "safety" reason to be a special snowflake. I've been active in road safety lobbying for a long time and have learned that silly safety reasons are common on both sides - user and government - and need to be called out when they happen.

Is a bell a safety item? Clearly cyclists disagree. THe law has been the law longer than I have been alive so is it a good fight to fight right now? I think the fight has to be the fines and the nonsense "safety" excuses, the law of having a bell is going to be a losing struggle. Having our own nonsense safety excuses weakens the fight we have to fight, it gives our opponents a clear shot at goal. If you bring that "can't ring my bell safely on a shared path" idea in public just how will it be received?

g-boaf wrote:Bashing away on the bell should not be an excuse for not slowing down appropriately and giving people a bit of warning that you are passing. It doesn't kill the average speed to do that.
No amount of any kind of warning is an excuse for not riding properly, we agree on that. We may disagree on how much average speed is sensible around peds on a shared path perhaps, but I doubt it.

The sensible thing is to work out what to focus on in this fight. Repealing a very old, and until some people got dinged for it forgotten, law? Not a fight I want to fight, but if you do how would you do it? How would you convince the general public that a bell should not be mandatory? What can you do to convince non cyclists that having one on your bike is a dreadful imposition? I can't think of anything

What has to be done is to show that a heavy fine for not having one is silly. Alas that might be a loser too because the average person is going to say "so put one on, how hard can it be?" What answer is there to that? A little and utterly useless bell such as is on the Brompton makes me immune to that heavy fine. That might be a line to take, saying that a useless bell is useless so why mandate it, but a very dangerous one as it just invites bell standards... and you can bet they'll require one that can be heard over traffic at 20 metres!

THe bell thing upsets some cyclists I honestly don't see why. But I do think it's the wrong hill to die on. I'd rather spend time and effort on the other fines and on pushing the government to actively enforce the 1m rule perhaps with a requirement for police action if given video.

The heavy enforcement of minor safety things against cyclists and the poor enforcement of "minor" safety things against cars is the fight I think needs fighting. Stupid things drivers do that when it is car vs car is a trip to the panelbeaters and the cops ignore them because that's all it is, but are life threatening when cyclists are involved, that's the fight I think needs fighting. Challenge the government to properly enforce *all* laws, not just the easy pickings of speed cameras and bells.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Cyclists have already lost, and it is the tribe mentality you've so excellently displayed with your cheap shot before that is the cause.

The bell might as well be tossed in the bin, it's useless against anyone with loud music going. Utterly pointless device. I will put one on if needed, but it will never get used.

AirZound at least can be heard properly by a motorist. I don't use one of those either.

I never ever get a why don't you have a bell comment.

Warin

Postby Warin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Nate wrote:I still fail to see how they're exercising powers legally...

BUT
a "vehicle" by definition of the act:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... ml#vehicle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"vehicle" includes a motor vehicle, trailer or other registrable vehicle within the meaning of the Road Transport Act 2013 .
We're not motor vehicles or REGISTRABLE vehicles :\
They cannot stop the vehicle under this act...
Wrong. I think you are looking at the acts' 'dictionary' definition of a 'motor vehicle' You need to refer to the act it self ... in particular
Section 15:
What is a vehicle
A vehicle includes:
(a) a motor vehicle, trailer and tram, and
(b) a bicycle, and
(c) an animal-drawn vehicle, and an animal that is being ridden or drawing a
vehicle, and
(d) a combination, and
(e) a motorised wheelchair that can travel
at over 10 kilometres per hour (on level
ground),
but does not include another kind of wheel
chair, a train, or a wheeled recreational
device or wheeled toy.
Note.
Various terms mentioned in this rule are defined in the Dictionary.

------------------------------
So .. under that act a bicycle IS a vehicle. As it was in previous acts too.
Quote is from http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... 014410.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------------------
Police do have powers other than what you quote Nate. For example stopping a vehicle to test the driver for drunk driving. I'd leave arguing with the Police about their powers to a court, if it gets that far. In the mean time consider that the Police should be there to ensure your and the communities safety.
--------------------------------------------
The use of a bell .. should be a simple as using brakes, gear shifters...
------------------------------------
ID. "Yes officer, I have a photo of it on my phone. Sorry that the battery is flat."

softy

Postby softy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:27 pm

queequeg wrote:

these figures clearly demostrates that peds and cyclists are in far less danger than motorists using the road infrustructure. So the focus on these, by legisation, and policing is just not warranted.

Warin

Postby Warin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:33 pm

herzog wrote:Reflectors can be on the shoes. Most shoes designed for clipping in have small reflectors in the heel area.
errr .. don't rear vehicle reflectors need to be red, attached to the vehicle and meet some regulation (regarding effectiveness and colour and maybe size)? Further .. a reflector facing to the rear should be red or orange ... not white. (The provision of red or orange provides for orange 'clearance' markers as found on the sides of large vehicles .. and those maybe seen from the rear or front when viewed at some angle. So orange ones are allowed ... on all sides.)

IIRC All my shoes have white reflectors .. and they are small. As they are not attached to the vehicle they don't need to meet the vehicle standards!

{edit} Found it in the NSW regs ...
Section 259
Riding at night
The rider of a bicycle must not ride at night, or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility, unless the bicycle, or the rider, displays:
(a) a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres from the front of the bicycle, and
(b) a flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres from the rear of the bicycle, and
(c) a red reflector that is clearly visible for at least 50 metres from the rear of the bicycle when light is projected onto it by a vehicle’s headlight on low-beam.

So you are correct herzog ... the reflector (nor lights) don't need to be attached to the bicycle... they can be on the rider! That is a new one on me!

PS .. reflectors effectiveness are reduced if dirty .. if someone wants to test them ... :idea: wipe the road grime off first {/edit}
Last edited by Warin on Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:34 pm

zebee wrote:
g-boaf wrote:The problem is Zebee, by taking that attitude (and the sarcasm against others riders), you are accepting and embracing the law changes,
The requirement for a bell is not a change, it has always been there and you were always liable to be prosecuted for it. THe steep rise in fines is different.
g-boaf wrote:Bells are useless, it is far safer to call out. The bell doesn't tell people where you are and on what side you will pass them. Calling out does. I slow down and call out to people. Even if it means almost track-standing. I won't overtake some people until they've acknowledged that I'm there.
As stated, that is a very differnt experience to mine in every respect. I commute daily on paths and a bicycle is my main transport. I find a bell is far from useless, people seem to manage very well indeed when I use it. When I tried without, they didn't react at all well, usually ignoring me. "why don't you have a bell" was quite a common reaction.

zebee wrote:If you can't control your bike with one hand at shared path speeds get the training wheels back on, you are a danger to yourself and others.
g-boaf wrote:That's a pretty cheap and nasty shot, but it's utterly typical of the tribe mentality of cyclists, fire away with spectacularly nasty insults and then wonder why those you insult aren't nice in return or don't wave when they are riding towards you, or overtaking for that matter. :roll:
Really? When someone uses the excuse they they can't control their bike with one hand so they can't use a bell, my reaction is still to say that they are clearly not skilled enough to be riding the bike at the speeds they are riding at. It was me calling out a rubbish excuse and I stand by it. IT was not a nervous novice worried, it was someone who was trying to find a "safety" reason to be a special snowflake. I've been active in road safety lobbying for a long time and have learned that silly safety reasons are common on both sides - user and government - and need to be called out when they happen.

Is a bell a safety item? Clearly cyclists disagree. THe law has been the law longer than I have been alive so is it a good fight to fight right now? I think the fight has to be the fines and the nonsense "safety" excuses, the law of having a bell is going to be a losing struggle. Having our own nonsense safety excuses weakens the fight we have to fight, it gives our opponents a clear shot at goal. If you bring that "can't ring my bell safely on a shared path" idea in public just how will it be received?

g-boaf wrote:Bashing away on the bell should not be an excuse for not slowing down appropriately and giving people a bit of warning that you are passing. It doesn't kill the average speed to do that.
No amount of any kind of warning is an excuse for not riding properly, we agree on that. We may disagree on how much average speed is sensible around peds on a shared path perhaps, but I doubt it.

The sensible thing is to work out what to focus on in this fight. Repealing a very old, and until some people got dinged for it forgotten, law? Not a fight I want to fight, but if you do how would you do it? How would you convince the general public that a bell should not be mandatory? What can you do to convince non cyclists that having one on your bike is a dreadful imposition? I can't think of anything

What has to be done is to show that a heavy fine for not having one is silly. Alas that might be a loser too because the average person is going to say "so put one on, how hard can it be?" What answer is there to that? A little and utterly useless bell such as is on the Brompton makes me immune to that heavy fine. That might be a line to take, saying that a useless bell is useless so why mandate it, but a very dangerous one as it just invites bell standards... and you can bet they'll require one that can be heard over traffic at 20 metres!

THe bell thing upsets some cyclists I honestly don't see why. But I do think it's the wrong hill to die on. I'd rather spend time and effort on the other fines and on pushing the government to actively enforce the 1m rule perhaps with a requirement for police action if given video.

The heavy enforcement of minor safety things against cyclists and the poor enforcement of "minor" safety things against cars is the fight I think needs fighting. Stupid things drivers do that when it is car vs car is a trip to the panelbeaters and the cops ignore them because that's all it is, but are life threatening when cyclists are involved, that's the fight I think needs fighting. Challenge the government to properly enforce *all* laws, not just the easy pickings of speed cameras and bells.
i really can't believe this thread is talking about bells.
They are so cheap, even if you don't want to ring it, just put one on your bike and comply with the law. I personal like them and use them and as said before, it has been the law forever. Every vehicle is required to have a warning device. Just such it guys, and whack on a 5 dollar bell!

softy

Postby softy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Warin wrote:
herzog wrote:Reflectors can be on the shoes. Most shoes designed for clipping in have small reflectors in the heel area.
errr .. don't rear vehicle reflectors need to be red, attached to the vehicle and meet some regulation (regarding effectiveness and colour and maybe size)? Further .. a reflector facing to the rear should be red or orange ... not white.

IIRC All my shoes have white reflectors .. and they are small. As they are not attached to the vehicle they don't need to meet the vehicle standards!
I can't speak for other states, but in the wild west, we are required to have a rear red facing reflector, also in poor visability or night, the pedals must have a orange reflector facing backward and reflectors on the wheels.

I personally don't technically comply, but to meet the intent of the law i have clip on ankle reflectors and reflective tape fitted to my wheels. I also have a rear facing red reflector attached to my saddle bag..

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:01 pm

Prompted by a Facebook post from cellbikes: how many of the cyclists stopped on this blitz had no ID, or gave false details? Over 400 fines issued and we apparently need ID, all the time.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:17 pm

queequeg wrote:

Did the Commissioner state how many of the deaths occurred in a collision with a motor vehicle?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

yugyug

Bike Blitz 25/2/16

Postby yugyug » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:15 am

This bell argument is pretty funny. I have a mate who doesn't like to have a bell, and he just yells out, but sometimes when we ride together on busy shared paths he asks me to ride in front because it's a PITA to yell out so much. The bell does seem to have an instantly recognizable sound by pedestrians - though some bells, the high tinkly ones, seem to work better than my big brass Crane, even though that bell is otherwise beautiful and loud enough that motorists can sometimes hear it. I use it when I pull up beside people texting behind the wheel.

I think that there is a case to be made that the fine for not having a bell should be very low, in proportion to the risk not having one presents. It's going to be $106 from the 1st? That's too much. Same issue with many bike offenses.

I disagree arguing the law itself should be an advocacy position. Firstly because there is little international precedent for not requiring bells. AFAIK every jurisdiction in the world requires a bell on a bike (?) Secondly because it detracts from the laws that really are questionable - helmet laws, no footpath riding and the ID rule.

These laws act (or will act) as a deterrent to casual and utility cyclists, the biggest missing area of cycling growth in Australia. As a result we have a bike culture and advocacy culture dominated by sporting cyclists and that is not working out very well. The bell issue is really only an issue for some sporting cyclists, so it seems a bit rich and counter productive to demand a concession that doesn't affect the people who are however currently and adversely affected by things these cyclists currently or historically support, like MHL.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:22 pm

How is the bell thing an issue for any rider, let alone sporting cyclists? It's a useless device, but it weighs a tiny amount so it makes stuff all difference having it or not. You lot must ride in seriously busy areas, I don't have to call out all that often.

Most of the time it is for oncoming riders who aren't paying attention or casual/utility riders two abreast on shared paths, riding bikes with huge wide bars (and mirror extensions). I don't see how difficult it is to call out to someone. :roll: For goodness sake, bike back, passing on the right and then thanks. It is easy and goes some way to being civilised towards others instead of just dinging away on the bell and going past with your death glare expression.

The new laws in general are going to affect all types of riding equally badly, which is by intent obviously.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Is there a law on where you fit the bell? Could we fit it behind the saddle (still within reach)? As far as I can see, it says a bike needs a working bell.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:49 pm

yugyug wrote:This bell argument is pretty funny. I have a mate who doesn't like to have a bell, and he just yells out, but sometimes when we ride together on busy shared paths he asks me to ride in front because it's a PITA to yell out so much. The bell does seem to have an instantly recognizable sound by pedestrians - though some bells, the high tinkly ones, seem to work better than my big brass Crane, even though that bell is otherwise beautiful and loud enough that motorists can sometimes hear it. I use it when I pull up beside people texting behind the wheel.
One would think a loud hub will suffice which works for me on shared paths. Also a heavy dose of caution helps too.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:21 pm

No specification of where it needs to be mounted. But the court could rule that putting it out of reach does not comply with its intent.

There's a photo floating about here somewhere of somebody fitting it to their front hub inside the spokes with an o-ring. :lol:

Under the saddle ahead of the seatpost would be as far as I'd go. At least you can still put a hand on it when needed. (Sorry about the pun :lol:)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:26 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:
yugyug wrote:This bell argument is pretty funny. I have a mate who doesn't like to have a bell, and he just yells out, but sometimes when we ride together on busy shared paths he asks me to ride in front because it's a PITA to yell out so much. The bell does seem to have an instantly recognizable sound by pedestrians - though some bells, the high tinkly ones, seem to work better than my big brass Crane, even though that bell is otherwise beautiful and loud enough that motorists can sometimes hear it. I use it when I pull up beside people texting behind the wheel.
One would think a loud hub will suffice which works for me on shared paths. Also a heavy dose of caution helps too.
I wonder if that argument would hold up in court? :idea:

Hope hubs could become the new fashion. I have one on my XC bike. One of the guys on our group ride today had one on his carbon wheelset. It was MUCH louder than a bell (to the point of being slightly annoying). All you have to do is stop pedalling. It's audible, it lets people know you are there, and you don't have to remove your hands from the controls - arguably, safer than a bell.

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:41 pm

It must be about ding, a, dong, dang, my, ding, along ding dong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mass civil disobedience it would seem is the only solution now, clog the court system, form group case challenges and maybe as an alternative strap a portable battery powered boom box to your handlebars an let it roar!
Last edited by StevOz on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:13 pm

g-boaf wrote:.

Most of the time it is for oncoming riders who aren't paying attention or casual/utility riders two abreast on shared paths, riding bikes with huge wide bars (and mirror extensions). I don't see how difficult it is to call out to someone. :roll: For goodness sake, bike back, passing on the right and then thanks. It is easy and goes some way to being civilised towards others instead of just dinging away on the bell and going past with your death glare expression.
I would say that the protocol of voice warning - bike back, car back, passing etc whatever- is a aspect of sport cycling and not at all familiar to the casual and utility riders we should want to encourage to ride. Not everyone in the world wants to, or even feels they can, use their voice assertively in public. I have some extreme introverts in my circle of family and friends, who nonetheless like to ride bikes. The requirement to have a bell seems a small price to pay for having a standardized system for indicating the presence of a bike.

Fun fact: in Japan (which could be unfairly characterized as culturally introverted) there is a lot of footpath riding, and it's done very safely, but many Japanese are loathe to use their bell. There does however seem to be an inordinate amount of squeaky caliper brakes that alert pedestrians to bikes behind them. I have no proof the brakes are set up that way intentionally, but it's possible and perhaps likely.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:11 pm

trailgumby wrote:No specification of where it needs to be mounted. But the court could rule that putting it out of reach does not comply with its intent.

There's a photo floating about here somewhere of somebody fitting it to their front hub inside the spokes with an o-ring. :lol:

Under the saddle ahead of the seatpost would be as far as I'd go. At least you can still put a hand on it when needed. (Sorry about the pun :lol:)
Yes, just ringing my dong... now I just need to find a bell that can attach itself to the aero seatpost.

Alternatively I could wear a cow bell around my neck. Surely that would suffice.
Last edited by SmellyTofu on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.