Bike Blitz 25/2/16

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bike Blitz 25/2/16

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:02 pm

Mulger bill wrote: As for the bell...
That is gold... and if you get hungry you have something nice to eat.
Cycling is in my BNA

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: As for the bell...
That is gold... and if you get hungry you have something nice to eat.
In this climate, it'll be more like a drink.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

syu

Postby syu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:42 pm

g-boaf wrote:Was advised that yesterday the Police were doing a bell/helmet blitz on the M7 cycleway yesterday. :roll:
If they were stationary, what part? Or were they on the move?

It's probably a good thing I slept in, the cycleway was a ghost town by the time I got out.

I see the guy on the unicycle out there on the weekends occasionally, I wonder if he'll get a "Where's your bell, mate?"

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:47 pm

syu wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Was advised that yesterday the Police were doing a bell/helmet blitz on the M7 cycleway yesterday. :roll:

It's probably a good thing I slept in, the cycleway was a ghost town by the time I got out.

I see the guy on the unicycle out there on the weekends occasionally, I wonder if he'll get a "Where's your bell, mate?"
I didn't ask. It was a bike shop that told me, I got the impression that they were stationary, not on wheels. I was out there super early, then late on the way back. I've seen the guy on the unicycle, it took him quite a few efforts to get going at Elizabeth Drive the other week. Impressive to see someone on there on a unicycle.

If they were riding, the Police wouldn't catch quite a lot of the riders I've come across on there. There are some very seriously fast riders on there some mornings, and not only fast, but very safe in the way they go at serious speed.

syu

Postby syu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:45 pm

Ok, thanks. Yes, guy on unicycle is very impressive.

As for your other comments, yes, but I think I'll refrain from commenting as I don't want to condone any potentially unlawful behaviour. But it's seriously got me curious how they were doing checks and safely i.e not obstructing the path.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:02 pm

dont like the look of most bells? Have a look at this one by knog
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:12 pm

bychosis wrote:dont like the look of most bells? Have a look at this one by knog
Just ordered 2 via the starter program. They better be good :)

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:40 pm

Yes I'll buy a dozen...just to share the love!..:)

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/bell-i-love-my-bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:25 pm

bychosis wrote:dont like the look of most bells? Have a look at this one by knog

Still 3 weeks to run in the campaign and their original $20k requirement has been completely obliterated. It is entirely possible they could rake in close to $1million...for a bell!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:29 pm

But it's Knog.

It's designed to fail...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:58 pm

syu wrote:

States wrt to unicycles are fairly much the same (just as are bike regs). I venture that they won't require bell, brakes, nor even reflectors.

However it would not be unusual for a cop to make such a call. Then it's a matter of gently convincing them. Quite easy for me just because us old people are most likely to be given the benefit of the doubt.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:00 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
syu wrote:

States wrt to unicycles are fairly much the same (just as are bike regs). I venture that they won't require bell, brakes, nor even reflectors.

However it would not be unusual for a cop to make such a call. Then it's a matter of gently convincing them. Quite easy for me just because us old people are most likely to be given the benefit of the doubt.
Not any more. If you're not in a car, you are public enemy number one. :twisted:

westab

Postby westab » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:46 pm

Heard from my police friends - it seems to be coming from the RMS but not on official memo (keep away from freedom of information) - just more nudge, nudge to prove the new fines are justified and to scrap the 1m law in 2 years time as there are so few offences committed (must be un-workable).

I now think un-workable is like my 15 y.o. cleaning her room - just simply couldn't be stuffed with it.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:06 pm

westab wrote:Heard from my police friends - it seems to be coming from the RMS but not on official memo (keep away from freedom of information) - just more nudge, nudge to prove the new fines are justified and to scrap the 1m law in 2 years time as there are so few offences committed (must be un-workable).
I now think un-workable is like my 15 y.o. cleaning her room - just simply couldn't be stuffed with it.

No surprises there...
Scrap the 1m law - best way is to ensure NOTHING goes to court, so we'll have to fight EVERY SINGLE OFFENSE like a rabid dog...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:32 pm

westab wrote:Heard from my police friends - it seems to be coming from the RMS but not on official memo (keep away from freedom of information) - just more nudge, nudge to prove the new fines are justified and to scrap the 1m law in 2 years time as there are so few offences committed (must be un-workable).

Why does that not surprise me. It would be on email somewhere, surely. GIPA is cheap, you know what to go looking for. Bombard them with requests from multiple applicants. IA units are typically small, understaffed and will easily be overwhelmed by multiple large applications.

They may try to respond asking you to refine your request, this generally means they have uncovered a possibly large number of documents and they want to "stop the clock". Multiple people hitting them with requests will easily overwhelm the staff. You might also trip them up - they aren't infallible, particularly if they make conflicting decisions. That's all the advice I can give, aside from trying to find a copy of the old NSW FOI manual - it will give a bit of insight into how the officers work. It won't be up to date for the current act, but it might give you some clues.

Unless we have a sympathetic whistle blower who is willing to lose their job to fight for what is right. What you have described is absolutely scandalous behaviour. It flies in the face of the principles of providing frank and fearless advice and remaining apolitical.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:47 pm

geoff_tewierik wrote:But it's Knog.

It's designed to fail...
Yeah, well :roll: They don't have the best reputation.

However, I have a few of their lights and they continue to operate as expected. One rear still works despite falling off at 60km/hr down Allambie Road. It looks a little beat up, and I'd have preferred it hadn't come off, but t still works.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:33 am

geoff_tewierik wrote:But it's Knog.

It's designed to fail...
Well, at least this doesn't have any rubber bits, batteries or electronics.

Having said that, all my Knog Blinder rear lights continue to work exactly as advertised without any issues.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:31 am

Pinched for your reference:

https://twitter.com/icycleivote/status/ ... 2824092672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yay.

Jim

Gondor

Postby Gondor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:54 am

familyguy wrote:Pinched for your reference:

https://twitter.com/icycleivote/status/ ... 2824092672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yay.

Jim
Literally about to post the same thing.

Do we all feel safer with these new fines?

I wonder if clipless pedals will also be considered riding dangerously....

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:18 pm

Clipped in = riding dangerously.
Riding among cars = riding dangerously.
No bell = riding dangerously.
Trackstand = riding dangerously.
Wearing a helmet = must be riding dangerously, why wear a helmet otherwise?!

Where does it stop? Or more correctly, where does it start?

Jim

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Gondor wrote:
familyguy wrote:Pinched for your reference:

Yay.

Jim
Literally about to post the same thing.

Do we all feel safer with these new fines?

I wonder if clipless pedals will also be considered riding dangerously....
Then nobody will be able to race anymore. Incredible... :roll:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:05 am

Oh, yes! Three please! Four if the strawberry kisses ever gets back on her bike.

By the way, I was in my LBS the other day and they had display boxes of bells and reflectors on the counter. Been selling-up a storm since March 1, apparently.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Same thing at my LBSs - biggest selling item was on 1st march was bells.

I notice today the paper is full of stories about how slow the roads are now, and some bright spark advocating for a complex system of congestion charges to, you know, get other people off the roads.

Well, how about starting by not imposing big new fines on cycling, and having motorbike cops on bells-and-reflectors patrol? Because if you do you forfeit the right to whinge about how bad the Sydney traffic is these days.

snortin

Postby snortin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 am

More blitzing today - ran into a few motorcylce cops near the end of Anzac bridge. Posted this in another thread but thought it would be also good posted here.....

So I had an interesting interaction with a police motorcycle officer this morning.

Photo approaching intersection (note police)

I am in road lane (and NOT the bike path).

Cycle light goes yellow - I stay in road lane and pull up next to car indicating to turn right. Note that I did go past the police motorcycle.

Vehicle phase gets a green and off we go - I obey the sign which says left/right only bicycles excepted and go straight through, into the shared zone.

Police officer follows me through, catches up to me in 2 lights time (where I stopped at the red light - on the road). Note that the pedestrian walking straight out in front of me (and the police motorcycle!!) when we had a green light and they had a little red man was just given a beep from the police officers horn!!

Asks me why I did that at the previous intersection - why I wasn't in the bike lane.

My response was that it was a bike path and I was not obliged to use it (maybe I should have pointed out all the cones/works happening in there...). He then asked why I had disobeyed the bike lantern. I replied because I was obeying the road signals, as I was in the road lane and the bike lantern applied to the bike path. He stated that if that was the case, then I MUST turn left or right. I replied that I was a bicycle and was allowed to go straight - and referenced the sign stating that. He then replied that I was not a bicycle (?!?!?) as I was in the road lane and had to turn left/right. I could only go straight from the bike path.

Well I wasn't going to waste more time arguing with him - I am sure he could have found something to ticket me for (bell - no, had one of those; helmet - no, had one fastened correctly). Maybe the camera attached to my helmet...

Anyway, it was fairly civil but I was a bit upset by his attitude - especially when he stated that I "better learn the road rules as the penalties have just increased".

So opinions please - I believe that I did not break any laws.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:54 am

Bicycle lane was closed, there were no cones indicating it was open again. No issue.