Cooks River cycleway near Tempe Station

find_bruce

Cooks River cycleway near Tempe Station

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 20, 2016 2:10 pm

I took the long way to work this morning along the Cooks River cycleway & discovered that the path is closed at near Tempe Station for construction work.

My google skills have failed however I can find no details of what is being constructed. I would love to hear that someone has come up with a solution to the flood prone area but thought I would check my facts before getting excited.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Hergest

Re: Cooks River cycleway near Tempe Station

Postby Hergest » Fri May 20, 2016 4:28 pm

I believe they are dropping the river there by a metre to prevent the flooding.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 pm

Hergest wrote:I believe they are dropping the river there by a metre to prevent the flooding.
Perhaps they should future proof for global warming by dropping the river 2 metres. :lol:

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri May 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Hergest wrote:I believe they are dropping the river there by a metre to prevent the flooding.
So the water is salty, there, right? So it's at sea level, give or take a few cm, it must be, right?

Dropping the level of Cooks River by a metre might be a much larger undertaking than they envisaged!

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Fri May 20, 2016 5:26 pm

I believe they will be using the same construction company that created the 4000 holes found in Blackburn back in the 60s. When they were finished they knew how many holes it took to fill the Albert Hall so they have some experience.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri May 20, 2016 8:08 pm

Employing someone or a firm from the Netherlands may help with that... how much are new windmills?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri May 20, 2016 9:35 pm

I live about a K from there

The sign posting is horrible, cyclists turn up and have no idea how to ride around. One lady wanted to cross the river on the road bridge, ie go past the velodrome. Its probably about a 8k diversion + a massive hill to go that way. I sent her in the other direction to go over the road bridge over the railway tracks
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 20, 2016 10:05 pm

What are they constructing Mike ?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 21, 2016 9:06 am

They are doing something to the sea wall to make it less leaky I understand. I think the details are up on the Bike Marrickville FB page

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 21, 2016 10:05 pm

It's closed till the end of August

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:53 am

Rode from the NW yesterday, and followed the signage up over the overpass and down to the roundabout. The signage directs you along Gannon St whose southern footpath has been temporarily designated as shared.

However I would advise riding on the road instead, at least until you get to the crest of the hill, because that footpath is very uneven and I encountered one car parked (illegally) across the footpath which forced me out onto the road and around a van parked on the roadside (briefly into oncoming traffic).

It's perhaps unfortunate timing as the Cooks River bridge is under construction which means you also need to stay on the NW side of the highway if you're headed along the track towards Kyeemagh. I didn't see any signage directing you back onto the track so I stayed on the footpath until crossing at the lights at Gertrude St which runs you back down to Marsh St to join the track.

It'll be so much more pleasant (and safer!) if/when they move the track from Marsh St to the water-side of the Golf Course, which is reportedly on the cards.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:06 am

Came up on my Facebook feed, it appears a wall has been built to stop the flooding across the path.
Not sure if the path under the bridge has been dropped though or if one still needs to duck

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Yeh I saw that photo, John Caley posted it on the Marrickville bike group FB page. I live in Tempe, if I get a chance this arvo I'll go have a look

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:35 pm

I wonder what happens to all the rain water now that they have removed the drainage holes to cooks river? They may have created a dam if they didn't put a pit in. I'll have to go check it out.

Looks usable in all conditions! Great stuff.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:20 pm

Strawburger wrote:I wonder what happens to all the rain water now that they have removed the drainage holes to cooks river? They may have created a dam if they didn't put a pit in. I'll have to go check it out.

Looks usable in all conditions! Great stuff.
There are pits
I presume there is also a pump, otherwise the pit is not going to drain to the river in high tide
tez001 wrote:Came up on my Facebook feed, it appears a wall has been built to stop the flooding across the path.
Not sure if the path under the bridge has been dropped though or if one still needs to duck
While it looks low, no need for me to duck. Maybe that's because I am vertically challenged :)