Commuter Cycling to Randwick

stretts

Commuter Cycling to Randwick

Postby stretts » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:06 am

So depending on how a job interview went this week I might be moving from Adelaide to Sydney and working in Randwick. Anyone commute that way? I'm probably going to rent a place near the train line/inner west (Newtown et al) and am hoping to commute both ways. I noticed Anzac parade is pretty hectic and without any infrastructure, but am happy to take back streets/safer routes. I tell you what, even as an experienced rider in traffic the Sydney streets look decidedly more stressful than Adelaide ones!

find_bruce

Re: Commuter Cycling to Randwick

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:06 pm

You will have to overcome two issues in getting from Newton to Randwick (1) Newtown is an old part of Sydney, with most housing dating from around 1870, with streets radiating out from the train lines, which means few roads head east west. (2) there are few places to cross South Dowling Street / Eastern Distributor / Southern Cross Drive. I wouldn't use Cleveland St. Dacey Ave is probably too busy at commuting times, which leaves you the lights at Todman Ave or the underpass at Epsom Rd & then up the hill to Randwick at High St or Barker St.

There is also a path on the eastern side of Anzac Parade, from which you can go through Centennial Park or up the Alison Rd path to Randwick
Anything you can do, I can do slower

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:34 pm

I'm looking at a similar scenario but insted moving down to Beverly Hills and having to commute to Randwick. By Google maps bicycle mode, it had me commuting just over 18kms via Earlwood & Undercliffe down via Tempe.
It has me going via Bourke St from Mascot to Rosebury/zetland area.
I'm a bit concerned about Bourke Street though....can anyone comment on it's safeness?
I'll do it in the car or motorcycle first i think lol.
Been nearly 10 years since doing any cycling in the Sydney metro area....kinda shakin' in my shoes a bit.

Cheers

Brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

stretts

Postby stretts » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks Find_Bruce,

It looks as though there is a separated cycle track along gardeners road, I could take Bourke Rd down to Gardeners, then head to Randwick most of the way up that route, though the last bit of Gardeners looks to be dog eat dog space on the road wise. this would also extend my commute a bit but not too fussed

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:32 pm

brumby33 wrote:I'm looking at a similar scenario but insted moving down to Beverly Hills and having to commute to Randwick. By Google maps bicycle mode, it had me commuting just over 18kms via Earlwood & Undercliffe down via Tempe.
I'm a bit concerned about Bourke Street though....can anyone comment on it's safeness?
Been nearly 10 years since doing any cycling in the Sydney metro area....kinda shakin' in my shoes a bit.

Cheers

Brumby33
I don't know the Beverley Hills end very well - I've only ridden that way a couple of times. From the airport, the short stretch of Brourke St to Gardiners Road is fine - nice new separated path.

Hopefully Minh will chime in as he rode that way to UNSW.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:37 pm

stretts wrote:Thanks Find_Bruce,

It looks as though there is a separated cycle track along gardeners road, I could take Bourke Rd down to Gardeners, then head to Randwick most of the way up that route, though the last bit of Gardeners looks to be dog eat dog space on the road wise. this would also extend my commute a bit but not too fussed
I would definitely turn off before the roundabout - that was nuts when I lived there 25 years ago. Any of the back streets through Kingsford are fine - Tunstall or Cottenham probably give you the simplest routes

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:33 pm

I ride Newtown -Randwick all the time. It depends a bit on which areas in those surburbs you want to get to, but I usually I choose a number of routes depending on my mood and inclination to sweat.

Though the backstreets of Erskineville (or from Sydney Park) and then to McEvoy St, Lachlan, O'Dea and Alison Rd is very direct and fast. It is not a ride some cyclists would feel comfortable doing but in peak hours it is quite manageable because the cars are all bumper to bumper. And in Sydney peak hours are now most of the day. Mostly these streets have dual lanes operating so claim the left lane and no risk of being doored.

Alternatively, I love to ride the wonderful Wilson St route, then Redfern st, then backstreets to Moore Park etc. This is the way most of my friends take. Much more relaxing.

I'm not sure why you would take Gardners Rd, seems a real detour perhaps unless you were actually going to Kingsford or Kensingon, but even then I would go Huntley/Collins/Epson/Lenthal/Todman or some such backstreets way via Green Square.

Yeah its a tricky route but have fun and explore, you'll figure out your own best way. I'd say with more congestion, a little infra and slowly better awareness of bicycle riders, these streets are becoming better and better to ride rather than worse. Not necessarily worse than Adelaide, just different.

PS. Welcome to Sydney stretts! I remember you from the Adelaidecyclists forums.

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:17 am

find_bruce wrote:
brumby33 wrote:I'm looking at a similar scenario but insted moving down to Beverly Hills and having to commute to Randwick. By Google maps bicycle mode, it had me commuting just over 18kms via Earlwood & Undercliffe down via Tempe.

Cheers

Brumby33
I don't know the Beverley Hills end very well - I've only ridden that way a couple of times. From the airport, the short stretch of Brourke St to Gardiners Road is fine - nice new separated path.

Hopefully Minh will chime in as he rode that way to UNSW.
Yes hello, I am fashionably late to the party

Bourke St is fine due to said separated path. There are some junctions where the path sort of disappears and you either merge back onto a short stretch of road or onto a shared path.

If you need to get to the Kensington/Randwick UNSW sort of area, what I used to do was go down Coward St after the airport, turn left onto Maloney St, cross onto the shared path on Gardeners Rd (afaik it had shared path markings but was about as wide as a standard footpath), turn left onto Turnstall Ave, then bomb down the hill at Day Ave.

From there, you are at UNSW or can go back up Doncaster if you want to go to Centennial Park etc.

My only advice is to only tackle the latter end of Coward St if you're confident riding in traffic and floating just outside of the door zone. Otherwise I'd do what yugyug has suggested if you want to take in the urban sprawling scenery
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

stretts

Postby stretts » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:13 am

yugyug wrote: PS. Welcome to Sydney stretts! I remember you from the Adelaidecyclists forums.
Thanks for your help mate! And for the welcome ;) No doubt it will take a bit of adjustment riding in Sydney compared with Adelaide...

If anyone has any tips on commuting into the cbd that would be awesome as well, any dedicated cycling paths left or have they all been ripped up? -_-