Any Good Bike Shops in Sydney???

milkman

Postby milkman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:50 am

Great to hear ABC getting such a great wrap. I have a Giant Yukon FX to build up and they are my LBS.

Do you guys find they more hostile if you use parts purchased online for a build? haha. The prices online/forums are too hard to resist..

I purchased my Norco from Bike Barn, Parra. No dramas, test ride fine, guy explained everything in newbie terms.

We also spent sometime at Blackmans looking for a bike for my girlfriend. The kid there was quite helpful and provided test ride, no dramas. Spent an hour runnign thru the bikes etc with us..

Engadine cycles, we bought my girlfirneds bike from this place, GT Avalanche 2.0. Run by a mature husband and wife.

Awesome service, abit reluctant to give test rides though, as they've had kids steal bikes from them, which is understandable. But when we made it clear we were absolutely interested, he built up a Avalance for us to ride and subsquently purchased from them. They seemed very old school, which isn't a bad thing!

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:27 pm

After all the threads about poor service, and being ripped off, it's nice to see some postiive comments about Sydney LBS's.

See, we're not all bad.

MikeyJ

Postby MikeyJ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:03 pm

I've got to give a big thumbs up to John at Ashfield Cycles after his sterling work today.

Having been screwed around mildly by another LBS in the wider area, I decided to give Ashfield Cycles a try - I'd driven past it several times, and the only reason I didn't buy my bike from there was because I had already happened across a place that had what I wanted in stock.

Now, I wish I'd been going to Ashfield from the start.

I dropped my bike in at ~9.45am today to have the front and rear derailleurs adjusted after I buggered them up completely, and I got a text message two hours later saying it was done. Close to the best $35 I've ever spent.

Not only done, but a gear cable had been changed and the rear derailleur hanger had been straightened. It had been bent when I was car doored about a month ago and the other LBS that did the initial quotes and subsequent repairs on the bike failed to diagnose it. :shock: :shock:

Anyway, John was a lovely bloke and I'll be heading back there for all my servicing and repairs from now on.

bracko

Postby bracko » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:05 am

^^ Ashfield is the only store that i walked into and felt really comfortable (being a newbie'n'all)

I'm semi kicking myself for not buying my bike there, they had an OCR in my size :(

with all these good reviews, can someone point me in the direction for a store in sydney who can fit me out with road shoes, pedals and cleats? also a range of areobars.

i have wide feet with high arches which is always a pain in the ass to get fitted.... so it would be good to have a range of a few brands.

clin

Postby clin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:09 pm

I'd vote for le spit cyclery in Mosman
while looking for my bike, had a few experiences in several shops in sydney
one in eastern suburb - no we dont sell flatbar bikes as if its the end of the world
one in city - took contact info and never called back

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:08 pm

+1 for Cycleworld in Burwood, the guys there are really friendly and quite happy just to chat.

CBD is nice although a bit pricey. King St Cyclery isn't too bad either, although strangely no one has mentioned it here yet