Parramatta - North Sydney

Parramatta - North Sydney

Postby Coastie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm really keen on starting to ride to work regularly on the above route. Today is a public holiday so I'm about to go for a practice run while the roads are quiet, but I've been struggling to find a 'best route' for week day peak hours. I've looked at bikely dot com extensively and also the RTA road maps, but for an inexperienced rider, these maps don't mean alot when I can't see what they are talking about or know what sort of traffic conditions to expect. Plus I'm not really game to try it on a weekday morning with know personal advice on the route.

If anyone can recommend me an ideal route, I'd very much appreciate it.

For example, I don't know know whether it'd be better to:

1) Use the M4 cycle way, find my way to the Anzac Bridge/ Harbour Bridge then across
2) Use the M4 cycle way, cut across the River, maybe around Rhodes and go via ryde/ Lane Cove etc
3) Start north of the river through Ryde etc...

Well I'm going to try the M4 cycleway now and try and figure it out from there.

Cheers,
Coastie
Coastie

by BNA » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:00 pm

BNA

Postby Coastie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:00 pm

Everyone out enjoying their day off no doubt :p

I rode as far as ANZ stadium when cyclonic winds and a bit of rain hit and I figured I'd hop on a train to finish the journey to North Sydney. So I didn't get incredibly far, but enjoyed the ride as far as Olympic Park and am ecstatic about how easy it is. Must admit though, if the storm hadn't hit, I wouldn't have known which direction to go in next!
Coastie

Postby Chuck » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:10 pm

G'Day Coastie, I must admit I'm also a little lost around that area.

There are a few on here that come from near there or have ridden around/commuted through there, hopefully they'll see your post and be able to offer some guidance.
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby wombatK » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Coastie wrote:Everyone out enjoying their day off no doubt :p

I rode as far as ANZ stadium when cyclonic winds and a bit of rain hit and I figured I'd hop on a train to finish the journey to North Sydney. So I didn't get incredibly far, but enjoyed the ride as far as Olympic Park and am ecstatic about how easy it is. Must admit though, if the storm hadn't hit, I wouldn't have known which direction to go in next!

Have you looked at this route http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Un ... -to-Ultimo ?
It's a route I used many moons ago, so I don't know what it's like now.
If you don't need to detour to the bread shop at Five Dock - just go straight on to Fairlight at the end of Queen St. It is
the shortest route to the Rodd Point end of the cycleway to the city.

Here's a couple of ways to hook up to it from the M4 Cycleway to Homebush or North Strathfield.

That wind storm yesterday was fierce - 40 km/hr gusting to 60 km/hr.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby Coastie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:39 am

Thanks guys. The route looks like it'll be what I am looking for. I'll have a look in more detail when I get back from work. Much appreciated

Those wind gust were insane. The weather was calm leaving Parramatta and by the time I was out the front of ANZ stadium I was having trouble pedalling against it. Even all the pedestrians sought refuge under cover in or near Gloria Jeans.
Coastie

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:30 am

Yeh definitely do the Anzac Bridge, Harbour Bridge route. The north route sucks
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Parramatta - North Sydney

Postby salchicha » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:31 pm

sorry for reviving an old thread.
Has anyone done this recently?

I usually do parra to meadowbank on a beautiful bike path next to the river, and would like to try going all the way to north sydney.

thanks
salchicha

Return to New South Wales