Riding to work in Sydney

Paolo

Riding to work in Sydney

Postby Paolo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:54 am

Hi, I'm moving from Melbourne to Sydney and would like to ride to work. I've tried to find meaningful maps so I can make the journey the 'safest' way, but can't seem to locate anything worthwhile. Maybe it's a bad idea or too dangerous given the route. I will be living in Kingsford and working in Chatswood. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bunged Knee

Re: Riding to work in Sydney

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi Paolo, welcome to outside. Try this Ride the City map. It`s on safe route.

Just input your start and end destinations and choose the safe or safer route.

I don`t ride thru these areas regularly and hope someone will chime in to help you with proper advice and knowledge of these areas.

There are 55 steps at Harbour bridge but don`t worry as there`s wheel ramp.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:52 pm

That will be very possible to do safely.

There are off-road bike routes that cover North Sydney north of the Harbour Bridge to Willoughby via Naremburn or Artarmon, and the remainder can be done via back streets. Kingsford to the city should be reasonably straightforward as well, with a large chunk via back streets or cycle paths but I am less knowledgeable about those.

Paolo

Postby Paolo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:43 am

Thank you both. Really helpful advice and gives me confidence to ride. Cheers

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:51 am

Paolo wrote:Thank you both. Really helpful advice and gives me confidence to ride. Cheers
Paolo, I have ridden the City to Chatswood leg many times when I used to live in Lindfield. It is safe. BUT it is not easy to follow if you are doing it for the first time. Also it is not easy to manually map (into a course to follow) as much of the riding is on shared paths.

I can send you a file gpx, fit, tcx which you could load as a course onto your computer if you like?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:00 pm

I rode for years to Chatswood and there's a lot of routes one can take from the Harbour Bridge, I've done them all. I agree with using the Naremburn bike path. When you get to Artarmon, there's a bike path that branches to the right under the motorway. Take that path past a sports field and either exit there onto the road on the east side of the railway track, following the tracks into Chatswood or continue along the bike path, which kinda winds north east. At the end of the bike path you are dumped onto a quiet street, turn right and climb the hill. At the top is a ped button to cross a semi busy road. Use the ped. to cross and proceed forward to Chatswood.

What street in Chatswood is your office?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:18 pm

Chatswood to the city is easy - it's mainly downhill!
The problem you'll have is the backstreets.

Sydney Easy Riders ride into the city from the north (You'll be heading in the opposite direction at your times).
Try this route and check out their website too - http://sydney-easy-riders.com.au/pages. ... s&pageid=7

Not sure about Kingsford to city - there is likely to be cycleways/paths to the city for you.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Paolo

Postby Paolo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:30 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Paolo wrote:Thank you both. Really helpful advice and gives me confidence to ride. Cheers
Paolo, I have ridden the City to Chatswood leg many times when I used to live in Lindfield. It is safe. BUT it is not easy to follow if you are doing it for the first time. Also it is not easy to manually map (into a course to follow) as much of the riding is on shared paths.

I can send you a file gpx, fit, tcx which you could load as a course onto your computer if you like?

Yes please!

Paolo

Postby Paolo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I rode for years to Chatswood and there's a lot of routes one can take from the Harbour Bridge, I've done them all. I agree with using the Naremburn bike path. When you get to Artarmon, there's a bike path that branches to the right under the motorway. Take that path past a sports field and either exit there onto the road on the east side of the railway track, following the tracks into Chatswood or continue along the bike path, which kinda winds north east. At the end of the bike path you are dumped onto a quiet street, turn right and climb the hill. At the top is a ped button to cross a semi busy road. Use the ped. to cross and proceed forward to Chatswood.

Victoria Avenue near Pacific Highway

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:42 pm

And on Days when you don't want to ride, the 343 Bus goes from Kingsford (leaves from Gardners Road 1st stop) to Chatswood Station...takes around an hour and a qtr. Pretty regular in Peak & non-peak times. Can get held up in traffic at around Rosebery/Zetland/ Redfern area but not too bad after that.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Paolo wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I rode for years to Chatswood and there's a lot of routes one can take from the Harbour Bridge, I've done them all. I agree with using the Naremburn bike path. When you get to Artarmon, there's a bike path that branches to the right under the motorway. Take that path past a sports field and either exit there onto the road on the east side of the railway track, following the tracks into Chatswood or continue along the bike path, which kinda winds north east. At the end of the bike path you are dumped onto a quiet street, turn right and climb the hill. At the top is a ped button to cross a semi busy road. Use the ped. to cross and proceed forward to Chatswood.

Victoria Avenue near Pacific Highway[/quote

In that case exit the path on the east side of the tracks and cycle past Artarmon station. Climb the hill continuing on the right hand side of the station and thru the traffic lights on the semi busy road. Then there's a bike path on the western side of the rail way tracks. I forget exactly which bridge to cross the tracks to the western side is the best and there's the possibility that the bike path has been extended since I was last there
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?