Mike Baird retires

Strawburger

Mike Baird retires

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:28 am

Nope, no kidding!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-1 ... nt/8193362

From what I hear, Big Duncan Gay is on the chopping block with the "shakeup" of ministers.

Long term this may be good news for cyclists, depending on who they have lined up for the roads minister.

I dare say Gladys will be the new Premier. She is very sharp and has a good handle on infrastructure (including roads)
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

brumby33

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:31 am

Yeah I wrote to City of Newcastle through their FB page (yeah I know it'll get overlooked) that now is the time for Clover to get back into the cycling infrastructure game ...maybe restore the College st bike lane, and make the city more bike friendly....find a way to get unneccesary cars out of the city.

The Baird Government has been rather hostile to cyclists, Duncan Gay listened too much to his mate Alan Jones on 2GB while going to work in his car plus Jones is on the Transport Board of NSW.

So I guess we'll just have to see who will get the portfolios now to see who cyclists can target.

I don't like the chances of getting any of the penalties reversed or reduced....not until close to the 2019 election.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Bows out with a tired cliche "I want to spend more time with my family" - sums up his time in office really.

A good time for Gladys to clean out the dead wood - the real issue is whether there is enough live wood worth saving.

Warin

Postby Warin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Will Baird remain on as a member untill the next election .. or are the taxpayers up for a by-election ($$$)?

:evil: I do think elected members should pay the costs of a by-election if they leave before the term expires. (Exceptions? A change in health after election.)

{edit} Looks like it is going to be a be-election .. at our cost.
Last edited by Warin on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:32 am

Jumping before being pushed or has he finished all the jobs his masters gave him?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:05 am

Could ban the greyhounds like he wanted. Taking his bat and ball and going home.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:02 am

Wonder if this is anything to do with it:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mike-baird-al ... twa1y.html

Eek! Not a good look. :shock:

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:10 am

According to last night's news bulletin, Duncan Gay will loose his ministry in a cabinet reshuffe and will likely retire as well.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:45 am

RonK wrote:According to last night's news bulletin, Duncan Gay will loose his ministry in a cabinet reshuffe and will likely retire as well.

Good! 8)

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:46 am

Yes I think Gladys is going to have to deal with a few bi-elections soon......I just hope whoever takes over the roads portfolio, that they have some empathy for Cycling....or better still, an interest in cycling...should be essential criteria for the job....yeah i know I'm dreaming :mrgreen:

VWR -2013

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:10 am

If there is a shake-up and Duncan Gay is on his way out, his announcement of his most progressive infrastructure contribution is on his way out - the Sydney Harbour Bridge cycle path, who knows whether this will happen at all.

Mike Baird and Duncan Gay are a duo who pretended that a balanced infrastructure was important however hid behind rhetoric and undervalued public transport and pedestrian and cycle transport in their policies and actions.

Politics happens and the next logical step among cyclists is to encourage the new premier and (hopefully) new minister for roads to place a value on a balanced transport approach - for the tourism value alone it would be ludicrous to ignore it and continue driving policy backwards.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:40 am

Perhaps there's some hope given Berejiklian's policy decisions as transport minister?

During her time as transport minister, Berejiklian also secured support for an over-arching transport scheme for Sydney's central business district. Her government has dragged its feet on implementing it, but the Central Sydney Access Strategy has committed the state, for the first time, to a grid of separated bike paths throughout the central knot of the city.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/what-gladys-berejiklian-as-transport-minister-tells-us-about-her-as-premier-20170121-gtw6lf.html

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:58 am

biker jk wrote:Perhaps there's some hope given Berejiklian's policy decisions as transport minister?

During her time as transport minister, Berejiklian also secured support for an over-arching transport scheme for Sydney's central business district. Her government has dragged its feet on implementing it, but the Central Sydney Access Strategy has committed the state, for the first time, to a grid of separated bike paths throughout the central knot of the city.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/what-gladys-berejiklian-as-transport-minister-tells-us-about-her-as-premier-20170121-gtw6lf.html

She still has to answer to Alan Jones however. And he doesn't approve of her, nor does he like cycleways (or Clover Moore). However Ray Hadley has welcomed her appointment.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Speaking of which....Clover Moore has been pretty quiet lately since her landslide win to the Mayor's position. :?

VWR -2013

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:48 pm

The disapproval of the parrot goes with with being a woman in power. Doesn't seem to have hurt Clover's electoral chances.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:07 pm

brumby33 wrote:Yes I think Gladys is going to have to deal with a few bi-elections soon......I just hope whoever takes over the roads portfolio, that they have some empathy for Cycling....or better still, an interest in cycling...should be essential criteria for the job....yeah i know I'm dreaming :mrgreen:

Bi-elections? We are going to elect bisexuals? About bloody time, I say! :D :D
Not my circus, not my monkeys

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:42 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
brumby33 wrote:Yes I think Gladys is going to have to deal with a few bi-elections soon......I just hope whoever takes over the roads portfolio, that they have some empathy for Cycling....or better still, an interest in cycling...should be essential criteria for the job....yeah i know I'm dreaming :mrgreen:

Bi-elections? We are going to elect bisexuals? About bloody time, I say! :D :D

:lol: :lol: hahahaha Yeah...and the Biggest Bi of them all Duncan GAY is about to get the chop and bound for retirement......i think i heard about 3 ministers positions will need to be filled in Gladys new cabinet.

Cheers

brumby33

VWR -2013

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:19 pm

brumby33 wrote: :lol: :lol: hahahaha Yeah...and the Biggest Bi of them all Duncan GAY is about to get the chop and bound for retirement......i think i heard about 3 ministers positions will need to be filled in Gladys new cabinet.

Cheers

brumby33

Yes, Gillian Skinner is standing down from the Health portfolio. One of the old guard for sure. So there will be the by-election. I hear that she was offered a "less senior" portfolio but reportedly wouldn't accept it.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:38 am

All this reminds me when Bob Carr decided to retire suddenly from Politics not long after his Treasurer....Labor then was on the nose and was a sinking ship, it sank with Christine Keneally at the Helm....I can only feel that this will be the same story with NSW Libs.

I hope for Gladys's sake, she's good at plugging up holes :lol:

Cheers

brumby33

VWR -2013

hunch

Postby hunch » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:53 am

biker jk wrote:Perhaps there's some hope given Berejiklian's policy decisions as transport minister?

Seem to remember a cancelled greenway project during her time at the helm...which probably handed back more than a few dollars to developers in the following years! The subsequently reinstatement of course, comes with the usual, socialize the expense costs, in this case, to State and local government.

Had to giggle at the media piece saying Manly was notionally Labor or Independent the other day too, especially when the second highest vote in the Federal poll was informal. Might be a long time before another McDonald or Barr happens around these parts, despite the expected swing with a by-election.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:00 pm

A friend just texted saying tonight's news reported that Gay got the arse. Can't find any online links to confirm though.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Adrian Piccoli has also left the cabinet. This was predicted. Rob Stokes takes over the Education portfolio:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/anthony-rober ... u0m0b.html

Unable to find anything on Duncan Gay.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:56 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:A friend just texted saying tonight's news reported that Gay got the arse. Can't find any online links to confirm though.
Apparently Gladys is traveling to Queenbeyan to announce it tomorrow. No secret that Skinner resigned out of spite because she got the shove & that Gay & Piccoli are out. Real question is who will replace them.

g-boaf wrote:Adrian Piccoli has also left the cabinet. This was predicted. Rob Stokes takes over the Education portfolio:

SMH has since updated the article to include ditching Drunken.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:16 pm

find_bruce wrote:
g-boaf wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/anthony-roberts-brad-hazzard-take-key-roles-in-gladys-berejiklian-reshuffle-20170128-gu0m0b.html

Cooool! :D

So long as we still get our SHB ramps.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:51 pm

find_bruce wrote:
SheikYerbouti wrote:A friend just texted saying tonight's news reported that Gay got the arse. Can't find any online links to confirm though.
Apparently Gladys is traveling to Queenbeyan to announce it tomorrow. No secret that Skinner resigned out of spite because she got the shove & that Gay & Piccoli are out. Real question is who will replace them.

g-boaf wrote:Adrian Piccoli has also left the cabinet. This was predicted. Rob Stokes takes over the Education portfolio:

I don't think Piccoli should have gone, he seemed fairly reasonable. Middle of the road, few dramas. But it was going to happen with the Nationals reshuffle. As for Duncan, goodbye, farewell. 8)