Mike Baird retires

User avatar
Warin
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby Warin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:54 am

While there may be some rejoicing over the deletions ... I'd hold off...

The phrase 'better the devil you know' springs to mind for some reason.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13036
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:34 am

Contact Premier Gladys Berejiklian and request that cycling is taken seriously and included in a balanced and future orientated transport mix:

https://www.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-premier/

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18905
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:13 am

Happy to see that there is new opportunity to get a balanced transport plan.

I can't see there being a reversal of the Westconnect, its gone too far to be politically stopped

Let's hope it doesn't stop the development of ramp at Milson's point, its a key component to connecting to the Narrabeen (spelling) bike path
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18905
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 pm

If the information that has come to me is correct, then the new Minister for roads is second from the left in the picture on this article

http://www.bellingencourier.com.au/story/3764568/local-member-stops-off-in-bello-as-charity-ride-ends/
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
CXCommuter
Posts: 1885
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 pm
Location: Lane Cove NSW

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:10 pm

g-boaf wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
SheikYerbouti wrote:A friend just texted saying tonight's news reported that Gay got the arse. Can't find any online links to confirm though.
Apparently Gladys is traveling to Queenbeyan to announce it tomorrow. No secret that Skinner resigned out of spite because she got the shove & that Gay & Piccoli are out. Real question is who will replace them.

g-boaf wrote:Adrian Piccoli has also left the cabinet. This was predicted. Rob Stokes takes over the Education portfolio:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/anthony-rober ... u0m0b.html

Unable to find anything on Duncan Gay.
SMH has since updated the article to include ditching Drunken.


I don't think Piccoli should have gone, he seemed fairly reasonable. Middle of the road, few dramas. But it was going to happen with the Nationals reshuffle. As for Duncan, goodbye, farewell. 8)

Hope in retirement your doctor tells you to ride a bike for fitness Mr Gay
Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7639
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:11 pm

mikesbytes wrote:If the information that has come to me is correct, then the new Minister for roads is second from the left in the picture on this article

http://www.bellingencourier.com.au/story/3764568/local-member-stops-off-in-bello-as-charity-ride-ends/

Your information is correct - the new minister for Roads is indeed Melinda Pavey (with Hazard getting health & Stokes getting education)

& yes as shown she rode for country kids in 2015 & 2016 - fortunately for everyone I am not in this photo, but you can rest assured I chewed her ear for a while last year. Not sure if she is riding again this year, but I am sure she will be around so I look forward to chewing her ear some more.

Image

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 13129
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:44 pm

I was hoping we'd get Roads and Maritime Services rolled up under the Transport portfolio where it belongs. Not to be. Looks like we're still going to have this structural dysfunction in decision-making embedded for another few years. :cry:

On the upside, now we can do this:

"A guy phones Parliament and says, "I want to speak to Duncan Gay, Minister for Roads." The receptionist replies, "I'm sorry but he resigned last week."

The next day he phones again and asks the same question. The receptionist replies, "I told you yesterday, he resigned last week."

The next day the guy calls again and asks to speak to Duncan Gay. By this time the receptionist is getting annoyed and replies, "I keep telling you that the Minister resigned last week. Why do you keep calling?"

The guy responds, "Because I just love hearing it. :D "

User avatar
find_bruce
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7639
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:39 pm

trailgumby wrote:I was hoping we'd get Roads and Maritime Services rolled up under the Transport portfolio where it belongs. Not to be. Looks like we're still going to have this structural dysfunction in decision-making embedded for another few years. :cry:
Transport supremo? Be careful what you wish for. As usual yes minister sums it up best


trailgumby wrote:"A guy phones Parliament and says, "I want to speak to Duncan Gay, Minister for Roads." The receptionist replies, "I'm sorry but he resigned last week."

The next day he phones again and asks the same question. The receptionist replies, "I told you yesterday, he resigned last week."

The next day the guy calls again and asks to speak to Duncan Gay. By this time the receptionist is getting annoyed and replies, "I keep telling you that the Minister resigned last week. Why do you keep calling?"

The guy responds, "Because I just love hearing it. :D "
:mrgreen:

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13036
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:40 am

find_bruce - do you think Melinda Pavey will be cycling active in her roll as minister? As a National Party minister, can she or will she have a better position (towards a healthy and balanced transport mix)?

When Tony Abbott took to office as prime minister, I assumed that he would provide positive direction for cycling (from a Federal level) however didn't do this and positioned cycling solely as a sports activity.

The challenge of any politician in this role is dealing with the tabloids and radio jocks - Duncan Gay was very much on-side with that 'level' of media with his open opposition against bike riders. Her wikipedia profile shows that she worked as a radio journalist with 2UW so would likely be ahead of the game in understanding media.

User avatar
DrShifty
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:58 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby DrShifty » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 am

AUbicycles wrote:. Her wikipedia profile shows that she worked as a radio journalist with 2UW so would likely be ahead of the game in understanding media.


2UW - how long is it since I've heard that call sign?

In my teen years I used to listen to 2UW with Ward "Pally" Austin. He was the bloke who famously said on air, "Hey girls, want something red hot and throbbing between your legs? Then (quoting advertising slogan of the day) Hop on a Honda and go!"

He was immediately sacked. So, advocating two wheel transport does not have a good history with 2UW staff. :D

fishwop
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby fishwop » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:31 am

DrShifty wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:.
He was immediately sacked.


Of course he was back in the blink of an eye. He was pretty popular with teenage boys with his smutty humour, some of it quite clever.

On the subject at hand, celebrating the demise of Duncan Gay seems to me a bit like celebrating getting Sachin Tendulkar out for 300. The damage has already been done.

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13036
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:14 pm

We can be happy that Duncan Gay is out, but there is a mess and we have to hope that the new government will clean up the mess and then move onto progressing cycling integration and safety.

g-boaf
Posts: 9563
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:22 pm

AUbicycles wrote:find_bruce - do you think Melinda Pavey will be cycling active in her roll as minister? As a National Party minister, can she or will she have a better position (towards a healthy and balanced transport mix)?


I believe she has been a press secretary before in the old days, so she might have an ear open to the media, but hopefully she'll also be like other press secretaries I've known who are pretty level headed.

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18905
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:45 pm

AUbicycles wrote:We can be happy that Duncan Gay is out, but there is a mess and we have to hope that the new government will clean up the mess and then move onto progressing cycling integration and safety.
Can't see the Westconnex being cancelled, the work done to date is too visible to be politically reversed.

What I can see potential for is the cancellation of projects that haven't commenced, such as the Milson's point harbour bridge ramp. That's one we need to nurture
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13036
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney & Frankfurt
Contact:

Re: Mike Baird retires

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:15 pm

I agree on Westconnex and also that the habour bridge access ramp is unknown.

The moment that Duncan Gay announced the ramp, it was an out of character type project and I wondered whether it could actually be realised - until construction begins, these type of projects are very shakey - not to mention that the local cycling community appear not to have been involved and consulted.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users