Anyone doing Bobbo on the 26th?

Jawa

Anyone doing Bobbo on the 26th?

Postby Jawa » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:37 pm

I will be, going whole hog with the 105km too. Pretty amped as it will be the fist time i'll crack the 100km mark .. assuming I finish :lol:

syu

Re: Anyone doing Bobbo on the 26th?

Postby syu » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 pm

I was thinking about it, but the weather hasn't been too great of late and if it rains next weekend I probably wouldn't be bothered. Lots of people with different riding abilities, plus wet roads, doesn't sound like my idea of fun.

This thread from last year received some interest, give it a read if you haven't done so already:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=88924

You've probably signed up already, because if you want your number mailed to you the cut-off to sign up is tomorrow, but if not PM me as I've got a 15% off sign up code, $100 is quite steep. They email me these things from time to time because I've done the event before.

Good luck. May the sun shine on you.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:05 pm

I'll be doing the 105 too.

- bring lights as it's still quite dark at 630.
- The course gets a little dicey for the first 5km as the route meanders through turramurra & wahroonga when riders are still bunched up. there are some sharp sudden turns.
- watch the bobbo descent... keep a safe distance (note to self)
- once you get to mona vale road, it should be ok. there'll be a good gap between riders and you'll slowly settle into your rhythm with other riders of similar pace.

(Last year, i only did the 80 'cos my little girl had a performance at the Royal Easter Show at noon. This year, i found out belatedly that I have a wedding reception to attend on the same day, also at noon .. ah well .. i'll have to ride a little faster to get there on time :lol: )

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks Syu! Yeah, got my number in the post last week. Thanks for that post link too

I did it last year but was only the 25km ride and did it on a MTB .. gotta start somewhere I guess
Rode Bobbin Head x2, Galston and Berowra climbs a few weeks back so im ready for some hills (I think). But yeah, should be a good day

syu

Postby syu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Looks like there's a couple of showers predicted for Sunday, when, that's anyone's guess.

I hope it stays dry for the ride.

Utini!

sertse

Postby sertse » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Doing it for the 2nd time, the 57km this year.

Struggling to climb Bobbin Head last year on a generic folding bike was one of the main reasons I bought a road bike and started cycling regularly, so this event brings fond memories.

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:30 pm

How did everyone go!? I signed up for the 104km but ended up only doing the 57km as some people in the group were feeling pretty poor. Not sure I would have made it myself. It was a ton of fun regardless and will definitely do it again next year.

Weather was PERFECT.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 am

Sheepy wrote:some people in the group were feeling pretty poor
How come, what happened?

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:10 am

Sheepy wrote:How did everyone go!? I signed up for the 104km but ended up only doing the 57km as some people in the group were feeling pretty poor. Not sure I would have made it myself. It was a ton of fun regardless and will definitely do it again next year.

Weather was PERFECT.
Completed the the 104 or was that 5? Cause the Garmin only had me riding a tick over 100. Anyhoo top day, your right the weather was perfect! That climb out of Akuna bay was a bit taxing though

This was my second time around and have to say you wont find an event that's more friendly from both volunteers and locals alike. Everyone comes out, you even have kids in their PJ's out the front of their houses waving you on. Sadly I think numbers were down this year, 2400 I recall and in an earlier email they said they had 3000 of the medals run up so they were probably expecting more. Then again, the weather this month has been atrocious which would have deterred some.

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Just a newer cyclist, feeling the pain. It likely was the weather honestly. I never would have guessed we would have a rainless day. I would have put money on at least showers. When people are already pushing themselves, starting in the early morning in the wet is probably too much for a lot of people.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:14 am

yup .. weather was perfect. even better than last year (grey & overcast with threat of showers .. it did rain in the afternoon).

everything went without a hitch. good organisation & communication.
ample toilets, refreshment, first aid, etc ...

Tony Abbott rode with the SAN team (though i didn't see him during the actual ride).

the climb out of Akuna is never easy. but it's always comforting (?!?) to see other riders alongside in the sufferfest :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Sheepy wrote:Just a newer cyclist, feeling the pain. It likely was the weather honestly. I never would have guessed we would have a rainless day. I would have put money on at least showers. When people are already pushing themselves, starting in the early morning in the wet is probably too much for a lot of people.
Okay, just more riding will sort that out. Take a look at the topic from Newierider in the General Forum where he did L'Etape Australia. That's a pretty good template to follow.

As you ride more, it doesn't actually get easier, you just get faster. Or so they say. :)

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:33 pm

caneye wrote:Tony Abbott rode with the SAN team (though i didn't see him during the actual ride).
So...here's my conspiracy theory. Abbott was in the 104km registration but his photos are only from the Bobbin Head climb and then the finish line. Wonder if he just wasn't auto detected by the photo database or he cut it short like me lol

bitstuffer

Postby bitstuffer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:48 pm

just got back... lol, Akuna was a good grunt, did 105, all good though I didn't ride at all in the two weeks prior with the rainy weather. Great event, like above saw kiddies in PJs, and the support system was spot on - well organised, starters went out in order of AVS so it worked out that you sort of saw the same riders through the ride. Going to do it again next year :)