Mt Victoria?

g-boaf

Mt Victoria?

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:37 am

Anyone ridden up to Mt Victoria? I'm thinking of riding up that way and then across to Bells Line of Road and then back across to Bowen Mountain. I know up through most of the Blue Mountains should be okay along the GWH, but I've not been out to mt Victoria recently so don't know the traffic conditions.

Ideally looking for around 150km with 3000+m elevation. I don't want so much distance, just elevation, and hopefully not too much bother with cars/trucks. Will be starting off from Richmond to cut out the extra distance.

march83

Re: Mt Victoria?

Postby march83 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:06 am

Typically we do that loop anti-clockwise. Out of Penrith and across the plains to North Richmond. Climb Bells Line over Bellbird and up to Bell. Hang a left and ride Darling Causeway to Mt Vic and then descend the highway back to Emu Plains. The idea is that if you're coming from the flatlands (Penrith, Richmond, etc) then the sections of road which are the most unsafe and have no shoulders (a lot of of Bells Line, in particular the 100km/h sections near the top) will be out of the way early in the day before the traffic starts.

The whole loop is 160km and is about 2500km iirc.

As for particularly unsafe sections on the GWH, there's a few km between Medlow Bath and Blackheath which isn't great (busy + no shoulder) and a short section around Faulconbridge with no shoulder. Otherwise, the highway is pretty good with back roads almost the entire way from Emu Plains to Katoomba.

Bells line has a lot of sections without shoulder but it's relatively quiet early in the day. The only parts I'm really worried about are the sections near Bell where the limit is 100km/h, there's no shoulder, it's a bit bendy so the visibility isn't great and the trucks go screaming through. Ideally get those sections out of the way early.

Darling Causeway between Bell and Mt Vic has no shoulder but is relatively quiet. Similarly, the flats between Penrith and Richmond have long stretches without shoulder but there are a few backways to avoid the bulk of it, and cyclists are a common sight so the locals are a bit better suited to cope.

The whole ride is a 6hr day. There's not really much in the way of food options on the road between Kurrajong and Mt Vic so plan accordingly. Assuming that you do it the traditional anti-clockwise direction then remember that after Mt Victoria it's a pretty straightforward roll down the hill so you don't need to save much in the legs.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:05 pm

march83 wrote:Typically we do that loop anti-clockwise. Out of Penrith and across the plains to North Richmond. Climb Bells Line over Bellbird and up to Bell. Hang a left and ride Darling Causeway to Mt Vic and then descend the highway back to Emu Plains. The idea is that if you're coming from the flatlands (Penrith, Richmond, etc) then the sections of road which are the most unsafe and have no shoulders (a lot of of Bells Line, in particular the 100km/h sections near the top) will be out of the way early in the day before the traffic starts.

The whole loop is 160km and is about 2500km iirc.

As for particularly unsafe sections on the GWH, there's a few km between Medlow Bath and Blackheath which isn't great (busy + no shoulder) and a short section around Faulconbridge with no shoulder. Otherwise, the highway is pretty good with back roads almost the entire way from Emu Plains to Katoomba.

Bells line has a lot of sections without shoulder but it's relatively quiet early in the day. The only parts I'm really worried about are the sections near Bell where the limit is 100km/h, there's no shoulder, it's a bit bendy so the visibility isn't great and the trucks go screaming through. Ideally get those sections out of the way early.

Darling Causeway between Bell and Mt Vic has no shoulder but is relatively quiet. Similarly, the flats between Penrith and Richmond have long stretches without shoulder but there are a few backways to avoid the bulk of it, and cyclists are a common sight so the locals are a bit better suited to cope.

The whole ride is a 6hr day. There's not really much in the way of food options on the road between Kurrajong and Mt Vic so plan accordingly. Assuming that you do it the traditional anti-clockwise direction then remember that after Mt Victoria it's a pretty straightforward roll down the hill so you don't need to save much in the legs.

Thank you - that's great information, really helpful. 8)

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:36 pm

At Medlow Bath there is a paved shared bike path on the western side of the Highway travelling south.

From Blackheath to Medlow Bath there is a track (Unpaved?) again on the western side - you need to go over the railway line and travel along Station Street parallel to the railway line, keep parallel to the railway line even as the main street goes right..

I think both these alternatives might be safer .. but will add considerable time and trouble to a trip. If you find the traffic too much then they are there.

- edit -
Looking at Strava it looks like some are able to use the western side of the railway line from Mt Victoria on to Medlow Bath ..